Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Any bowlers on here?

Re: Any bowlers on here?

I heard about that a couple months ago and Smallwood immediately became one of my favorites on the PBA Tour after I read that. I thought it was one of the best sports stories of the year when he won the PBA World Championship a couple months ago. He's got a very unique style as he barely puts him thumb in the thumb hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTmNVbjypM

Video of Smallwood's release:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBOSg9NPs-w

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    Well, I waited until the last week of the league but I finally got my first 700 series. I went 215-251-248 for a 714. As happy as I am that I got the 700+ I am upset that I blew a 290 in the 2nd game. I went 7/ in 1st, then the next 8 strikes. I started to get up to throw the 10th frame and somehow realized I could get the 290 and proceeded to throw the worst shot ever and left the 2-4-7 and whiffed it to leave an open in the 10th. Oh well.
    Congrats!

One of my buddies shot a 799 on Monday night and followed it up with a 764 on Wednesday night. On Monday night he needed a seven count on his final shot for an 800 and only got six pins as he threw the ball too far inside and it skidded down the lane and and never made it to the pocket. He's tough. He uses the two handed style, ala Jason Belmonte.

Very cool story about Smallwood.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Just missed a 300 tonight...

First game: 8 straight strikes to start the game. Buried the ball deep in the pocket in the 9th frame and left a ringing 10 pin. I picked it up and struck out in the 10th frame for a 279 game. 11 strikes.

Second game: 204. Left a pocket split, plus two or three 10 pins, one of which I missed.

Third game: 202. Left a solid four pin, a solid 7 pin, and a couple 10 pins, and one of which I missed again.

279 + 204 + 202 = 685 series.

I've narrowly missed three 300 games in the last 2 1/2 weeks. It's frustrating getting that far only to just miss it.

Some very cool bean bag toss boards I saw on Craigslist.

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

My Monday night bowling team finished up tonight with my team losing in the championship. I bowled a 234 the first game, a 178 the second game, and a 289 the third game for a 701 series. I had the first 10 strikes in the last game but left a solid four pin on the 11th ball. Oh well, we still get 1000 dollars for second place ($200 per person), plus another $40 per person for winning the 4th quarter. I'll also receive $125 for bowling a 300 game earlier in the season.

This is also the last week for my Wednesday night league. My team is one of six teams in the rolloffs. First place gets $4,000. I'd love to win that money...

My league playoffs are this Saturday. First place gets the league entry fee back. Second place gets beer.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My Monday night bowling team finished up tonight with my team losing in the championship. I bowled a 234 the first game, a 178 the second game, and a 289 the third game for a 701 series. I had the first 10 strikes in the last game but left a solid four pin on the 11th ball. Oh well, we still get 1000 dollars for second place ($200 per person), plus another $40 per person for winning the 4th quarter. I'll also receive $125 for bowling a 300 game earlier in the season.

This is also the last week for my Wednesday night league. My team is one of six teams in the rolloffs. First place gets $4,000. I'd love to win that money...
    congrats OBM! keep up the great bowling!
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

So OBM, are you pretty much the best bowler in your league? I remember a few years back when I was in a league, the top bowler was around a 204 or so. Looks like your scores would blow that guy out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    My league playoffs are this Saturday. First place gets the league entry fee back. Second place gets beer.
    Clearly you're shooting for 2nd, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    So OBM, are you pretty much the best bowler in your league? I remember a few years back when I was in a league, the top bowler was around a 204 or so. Looks like your scores would blow that guy out of the water.
    Heck no. The high average in my league was a 222. That guy has been bowling for 30+ years and has an unbelievable 48 career 300 games and 27 800 series. There was a couple other bowlers up around 219-220.

I got off to a bad start this season. As I said earlier in the thread, I just started bowling a little over a year ago and this was the first time I bowled in a league, so I didn't really know the difference in bowling balls and lane conditions. As the year progressed I started to pick up on some of those things and it really helped me out a bunch. I finished the season with an average around 192, which I was quite happy with considering the way I started. If I had to guess, I would say I averaged a 205-208 in the second half of the season. I'm hoping I can carry that into next season.

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    congrats OBM! keep up the great bowling!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Heck no. The high average in my league was a 222. That guy has been bowling for 30+ years and has an unbelievable 48 career 300 games and 27 800 series. There was a couple other bowlers up around 219-220.

I got off to a bad start this season. As I said earlier in the thread, I just started bowling a little over a year ago and this was the first time I bowled in a league, so I didn't really know the difference in bowling balls and lane conditions. As the year progressed I started to pick up on some of those things and it really helped me out a bunch. I finished the season with an average around 192, which I was quite happy with considering the way I started. If I had to guess, I would say I averaged a 205-208 in the second half of the season. I'm hoping I can carry that into next season.
    Ah, gotcha. 192 still very good, especially given the fact you first picked up a bowling ball a short while ago.

I haven't gotten into bowling as much as I have golf, but I gotta think the "improvement curve" (for lack of a better term) is much the same. That is, the better you get, the smaller the incremental improvements are. It's a lot harder and takes a lot more practice to go from a 205 to a 215 avg than, say, a 150 to a 170 average.

My Wednesday night team finished 5th in the rolloffs. Not great but we still got $250 per person.

My Saturday night team made the rolloffs and we'll bowl tomorrow evening for the championship. This is a small league so the first place team will only get $400, or $100 per person.

Congrats!

And good luck!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?