Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any bowlers on here?

Re: Any bowlers on here?

I subbed in a league tonight and threw my new highest series - a 664. I had a 211 the first game, 258 the second game, and finished up with a 195. I had a couple bad breaks in the last game or else I could've been up around a 700 series.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Just a silly question. I used to bowl a bit like 25-30 years ago. Nothing competitive, but I did win a company tournament once (don't get excited, like a 170 average was good enough).

Has the game changed? Is the technology/equipment better? Is it easier/harder to get a high score? Are the lanes more standardized?
    Am I silly to ask these questions?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Centerfielder bowls anchor, dude!

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Man oh man I'm on cloud 9 right now. I bowled in my Monday night league tonight and bowled my first ever 300 game! I'm still stunned at this moment. My dad, who is a very good bowler himself, has been bowling for over 30 years and has never thrown a 300 before. I had others come up and tell me they know people who have been bowling for 30-40 years and have never bowled a 300 game. My dream was to one day bowl a 300 but I never expected it to come so early - as I said before, I've only been bowling for about nine months and didn't start hooking the ball until late March/early April. I'm so excited right now I probably won't be able to sleep.

Shouldn't this be in the Non-Sports forum?

Congrats OBM!
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 10-26-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Congratulations! Quite an achievement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Man oh man I'm on cloud 9 right now. I bowled in my Monday night league tonight and bowled my first ever 300 game! I'm still stunned at this moment. My dad, who is a very good bowler himself, has been bowling for over 30 years and has never thrown a 300 before. I had others come up and tell me they know people who have been bowling for 30-40 years and have never bowled a 300 game. My dream was to one day bowl a 300 but I never expected it to come so early - as I said before, I've only been bowling for about nine months and didn't start hooking the ball until late March/early April. I'm so excited right now I probably won't be able to sleep.
    You must be a natural, congrats. My dad has won the Hoinke Classic twice and he's never bowled a 300.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Here's the funny part - I bowled a whopping 144 in the first game. I was stuggling to find the pocket, and when I did, I left a ten pin a couple times. The second game I rebounded and hit the pocket every time but only finished with a 208 because I couldn't get the ten pin to carry. In the third game I continued making great shots and finally got the ten pin to fall down. I'm still pretty darn excited right now.

Nice job on the 300 game.

Is it more quiet than usual as you get close to the 10th frame?

Does word get out around the alley and people gather around?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Nice job on the 300 game.

Is it more quiet than usual as you get close to the 10th frame?

Does word get out around the alley and people gather around?
    YES. After I got my first strike in the 10th frame, the whole bowling alley got extremely quiet and nearly everyone in the bowling alley gathered around the area behind me and watched my last two strikes. At this point, you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet, and to tell you the truth, this made me extremely nervous. I'm not gonna lie, I thought I was going to pass out or vomit - I was that nervous. My dad was there to watch me and my brother - dad normally only bowls on Wednesday night leagues but he drove down with us last night to just spectate. A lot of people came up to him afterwards and said they were watching him rather than me, just to see how he would react. From what I heard, dad was just as nervous as me, if not more. I still haven't come down from that high. It's an awesome feeling. I was laying in bed at 3:30 this morning staring at the ceiling and wondering if I was dreaming or if that really happened.

congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    YES. After I got my first strike in the 10th frame, the whole bowling alley got extremely quiet and nearly everyone in the bowling alley gathered around the area behind me and watched my last two strikes. At this point, you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet, and to tell you the truth, this made me extremely nervous. I'm not gonna lie, I thought I was going to pass out or vomit - I was that nervous. My dad was there to watch me and my brother - dad normally only bowls on Wednesday night leagues but he drove down with us last night to just spectate. A lot of people came up to him afterwards and said they were watching him rather than me, just to see how he would react. From what I heard, dad was just as nervous as me, if not more. I still haven't come down from that high. It's an awesome feeling. I was laying in bed at 3:30 this morning staring at the ceiling and wondering if I was dreaming or if that really happened.
    Wow congratulations, what a thrill that must truly be. I am happy for you.

My dad and his buddies use to be heavy into the bowling. I never heard the end of how balls are drilled, top weight, side weight, different ball for different lane conditions, dry, oily and the never ending arguments over the house blocking the lanes so the bowlers could score higher. Springfield houses use to block the lanes alot so that the bowlers could score high, if one could shoot the second board/second arrow area they could score. If not they were mad. Especially when they went out on tournaments and could not shoot the comfortable scores that the houses enabled here.

Now I have to ask you this question. Was your 300 sanctioned?

Either way that is one heck of an amazing feat.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 10-27-2009 at 05:45 PM.

I threw a 300 game on Wii bowling. Does that count?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I threw a 300 game on Wii bowling. Does that count?
    Did you have the gutters blocked?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?