Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Cox to retire after 2010 season

Bobby Cox to retire after 2010 season

Braves extend Bobby Cox contract
    Steve Phillips
    Updated: 9/23/2009 4:03:14 PM

The Atlanta Braves announced today that they have agreed to terms with manager Bobby Cox on a one-year contract extension through the 2010 season and that the team's entire coaching staff will be brought back next year.

In addition, Cox has announced that he will retire from managing at the conclusion of the 2010 campaign, thus bringing to an end one of the greatest managerial careers in the history of the game. As part of Cox's contract extension, he has been given a five-year consulting agreement, from 2011 to 2015, where he will advise and consult in all areas of Baseball Operations, including the Major League Club, spring training, minor league operations and scouting. In addition, Cox will work with the office of the President on special business projects.

The winningest manager in Braves franchise history, Cox is in his 28th season as a big-league skipper and his 24th year at the Braves' helm (1978-81, 1990-present). He owns 2,408 career wins, placing him fourth on the all-time victory list and second among active managers. Cox has recorded 2,053 wins with the Braves and another 355 in four seasons (1982-85) with the Toronto Blue Jays. He and Hall of Fame manager Joe McCarthy are the only two managers in history to post six 100-win campaigns.

"Bobby and I have been talking about this for some time," Braves Executive Vice President and General Manager Frank Wren said. "We are very excited that Bobby, who is one of the best and most respected managers in the history of baseball, will again be managing our club in 2010. Personally, it has been a true honor and a pleasure to work with such a great manager and leader. Bobby is one of the true icons of our game."

"I share with all of our great Braves fans the excitement over the good news of Bobby's signing a 2010 contract extension," said Braves President John Schuerholz. "It has been my good fortune to share a personal relationship and professional partnership with Bobby since 1991. Together we have shared in the most remarkable, sustained period of Braves baseball excellence while winning 14 consecutive Division titles, five National League Championships and, of course, the World Championship in 1995. It has been an honor and pleasure to work side by side with Bobby Cox. We are thrilled with his return as manager in 2010 and with his continued association with us for many years to follow."

The 68-year-old Cox has guided Atlanta to Major League Baseball's best overall record since 1991(1,747-1,252). Since then, the Braves have earned a 14 division championships, five National League pennants and a World Series title. Cox has guided his clubs to 66 postseason wins - second all-time to the Dodgers' Joe Torre (77).

"I am very excited and honored to be making plans for next year," said Cox. "While I have decided that 2010 will be my last season in the dugout, I want to make it clear that we will all be working as hard as ever to win another World Championship for the city of Atlanta and our great Braves fans. I really can't express how proud I am of our team, and how thankful I am that Frank and John have given me the opportunity to retire with the organization that I've been with for almost 30 seasons."

Cox has earned four Manager of the Year awards from the Baseball Writers Association of America and an unprecedented eight Manager of the Year honors from the Sporting News. No other skipper has won the Sporting News award more than three times since the magazine started its balloting in 1936.

http://www.wbir.com/sports/story.asp...provider=gnews
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 09-23-2009 at 04:15 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bobby Cox to retire after 2010 season

Umpires rejoice.

It will be weird not to see him in the dugout after next year.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Would you say Cox belongs in the HOF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    1 World Series Championship
    5 NL Pennants
    4th all-time in Wins
    4 time Manager of the Year
    14 consecutive division titles, 15 overall

I'd say he belongs.

Won't be baseball without seeing him on the Braves bench looking constipated.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    1 World Series Championship
    5 NL Pennants
    4th all-time in Wins
    4 time Manager of the Year
    14 consecutive division titles, 15 overall

I'd say he belongs.
    I agree, he belongs in the HOF.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

That will be very weird to not see him in the dugout after next year. He's had an amazing career and I don't know if any managers will be able to top what all he accomplished with the Braves.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

You know you're old when you remember Cox's first job as a MLB manager and you also remember the career of the man he replaced.

He's had quite a run. I hated the Braves of the 90s with their pitchers getting calls six inches off the plate, but Bobby C. blowing a gasket when his guys got called out on strikes. Great manager and a memorable career.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    He's had quite a run. I hated the Braves of the 90s with their pitchers getting calls six inches off the plate, but Bobby C. blowing a gasket when his guys got called out on strikes. Great manager and a memorable career.
    His ability to manipulate a few inches on the plate for Maddux and Glavine was huge key to their success. He was famous for getting thrown out arguing the pitch 2 inches outside, getting thrown out, and then having everything within 6 inches be called for strikes the rest of the game.

HOF'er for sure.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Yes, he has earned it.

Things I didn't know about Bobby.

1) Bobby Cox was the first base coach for the 77' WS Champion Yankees.

2) He had 2 stints with the Braves, first time in 78' he replaced Dave Bristol and the second time around in 90' he replaced Russ Nixon ironically both former Reds managers.

3) In 90' he was the Braves GM who fired Russ Nixon and appointed himself as manager.

4) Cox is only player or manager to be ejected from 2 WS games.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Good maybe now they will go back to completely stinking again, combining that with a Reds rise might get some fans back.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

He certainly does. if any manager deserves to be in the HOF, he does.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Cox is a HOFer, no doubt. His colorful outbursts will be missed, but his influence on the strike zone will not.

Turn Off Ads?