Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardinals Accuse Arroyo Of Cheating

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Cardinals Accuse Arroyo Of Cheating

I can not stand the Cardinals and this just adds more to my fire. The reason that Smoltz had trouble throwing with "non-rubbed" baseballs and Arroyo didnt was because, according to Dave Duncan, Arroyo had pine tar on his cap. Read this if you can stomach it:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...C?OpenDocument

Even one of their first three comments said the following:
    There were 5 other pitchers in the game. None of them had any trouble with the balls.
    Very unprofessional comments coming from very classless people.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cardinals Accuse Arroyo Of Cheating

I wish Arroyo would come out and be like Heres the very hat I wore last night. If you can find pine tar on it that be news to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Wouldn't the umps notice if the balls weren't rubbed up? And if they were really white, wouldn't any foreign substance be easy to see? What is Duncan saying, that the umps were bought?

To be honest Arroyo's cap did look dirty, but if there was pine tar on the ball the umps would have seen it.

But if Arroyo did do it, it was his last start of the year in a meaningless game standing wise. Why not if you can get away with it.

I don't see the big deal if he did. I'm all for that type of cheating if you can get away with it. If he gets caught, then so be it. I'm kinda happy someone's at least accusing one of our players for trying to win.

Lame.

I especially like the comment of "I've only walked 3 guys ALL YEAR"... um, I guess all of your innings in Boston don't count? Are you on a fiscal year that starts in September?!?!
    WTF?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Instead of whining to the media after the game, why not say something during the game to the umpires?

We all know Arroyo would never cheat...

Smoltz seemed upset that Reds rookie Drew Stubbs stole a base with the Reds six runs ahead in the third, as Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker held up three fingers, probably signifying the game was only in the third inning.
    "I was frustrated. I'm not going to comment (on the matter)," Smoltz said.
    This line made me laugh. Why is it that people go to St. Louis and become the biggest cry babies?

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Lame.

I especially like the comment of "I've only walked 3 guys ALL YEAR"... um, I guess all of your innings in Boston don't count? Are you on a fiscal year that starts in September?!?!
    WTF?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Great point. Smoltzie forgot he stunk in Boston as well.
    Much more garb like this and STL will fall into the same class as Chicago to me.

Fay has Arroyo's response to the controversy:

http://tinyurl.com/ybsnjnn

I love this from Arroyo about the stain on his hat:
    "That’s what happens. It’s from playing in every other park where there’s so much mud on the balls that that black stuff comes off on young fingers every time. I guess he said I went to my hat time every time. Yeah, I grab my (crotch) and do 8,000 other twitches. What you want me to do about it? That’s how I pitch.”

Arroyo fires back

I guarantee when I pitch against the Cardinals next year, I’ll call over and tell Dave Duncan I’m wearing a brand new hat,” Arroyo said.

Reds pitching Dick Pole: “That must have meant (Dennys) Reyes, (Josh) Kinney and (Brad) Thompson were using pine tar, too. They didn’t have any trouble throwing the ball over the plate.”

Reyes, Kinney and Thompson pitched the final innings for the Cardinals. Reyes walked one, the other walked none.

Balls are rubbed with dirt by clubhouse workers.

Arroyo was amused by the controversy.

“The only reason he said that is I’ve been wearing this thing all season,” Arroyo said.

He showed me his hat. It’s stained on the bill.

“That’s what happens. It’s from playing in every other park where there’s so much mud on the balls that that black stuff comes off on young fingers every time. I guess he said I went to my hat time every time. Yeah, I grab my (crotch) and do 8,000 other twitches. What you want me to do about it? That’s how I pitch.”

“The funny thing is normal switch out hats. But I didn’t switch hats because it wasn’t hot enough and it wasn’t soaking wet.”

Arroyo said he’s dealt with balls that were hard to grip, particularly at Yankee Stadium in October.

“That’s just the way it is,” he said. “You find a way to pitch. . . I don’t know I thought I had the day off.”

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I hate Dave Duncan so much — I almost don't want him to be our pitching coach next year!!!!

almost

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I tend to believe Arroyo when he says the cap stain is from Delaware mud.

But how can umpires prevent the transfer of pine tar from a pitcher's bat (if he uses it), to the bill of his cap?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

pretty sure its simple as smoltz realizes hes old and his days are numbered. dave duncan is just trying to back his pitcher up. even the guys on baseball tonight were making fun of the suggestion that something was wrong with the baseballs.

Turn Off Ads?