Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: GM For A Little

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    352

    GM For A Little

    Ok im going to post trades that i would like this off season to happen

    Trade Chris Heinsey + Micah Owings for JJ Hardy, Brewers want him out so he could solve our short stop problem, but im not sure whether the Brewers trade within the division but we traded Weathers to them

    Trade Juan Francisco(Or Todd Frazier) + Chris Valaika for Francisco Lariano, Twins have given up on this kid, he is still young and has a good arm, i think a change of team could help him, he is 5-12 this season but is still young

    Trade Aaron Harang to the Yankees for Ian Kennedy, Salary relief, any prospect will do, the Yankees do this because Joba Chamberlain is not getting it done he is only going 3-5 innings a game and getting the bullpen involve early, i believe the Yankees would be willing to Move Joba to the Bullpen

    Trade Francisco Cordero to the Phillies for Salary relief, Brad Lidge has been one of the worst Closers this year and a trade to Philly makes sense there is no FA closer so Cordero would be an option for the Phillies

    Trade Bronson Arroyo to the Dodgers for James McDonald, Bronson Arroyo in Dodger stadium would do great, a pithchers Ball Park and Bronson does not get Hurt so the dodger would consider this, since piching this year included John Lackey which the dodger dont want to waste this much money, Branon Webb (injury past), Rich Harden (injury prone) so Bronson would make sense with Kershaw-Billingsley-Arroyo-Kuroda-Wolf

    Sign Jermaine to a 2yr/20Mil contract, then sign Ramon Hernandez for Cheaper

    Line Up

    1.CF Drew Stubbs
    2.2B Brandon Phillips
    3.1B Joey Votto
    4.LF Jermaine Dye
    5.3B Scott Rolen
    6.RF Jay Bruce
    7.SS JJ Hardy
    8.C Ramon Hernandez

    Starters
    1.Johny Cueto
    2.Homer Bailey
    3.Francisco Lariano
    4.James McDonald
    5.Ian Kennedy

    Bull Pen
    Closer: Nick Masset
    SU: Carlos Fisher
    Danny Herrera
    Jared Burton
    Pedro Viola
    etc..

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    368

    Re: GM For A Little

    I don't know why so many people want to get rid of harang, Arroyo and Cordero.

    Cordero may be the best closer in the game right now. Yes, he makes a lot, but he earns it. Yes he blew a save last week, but it was in his fifth straight appearance.

    Harang has done everything the Reds ask of him the past two years including going long in an extra inning game, and returning after a two hour rain delay. Harang is a pitcher who's timing is of paramont importance. In both of those cases his timing was thrown off for weeks. He is great for the team and community. I don't think we have seen the best of him yet either.

    Although I think Arroyo is a head case he is tough. Take care of his hand issues this off-season and make sure he is ready to start the year. No guitar man during the off season. Fix that hand.

    If the Reds want to trade for anyone try for Brignac with the Rays. They can offer Alonso or Francisco since the Rays are going to be needing a 1B/ DH type. The Rays have some good outfield prospects and are set at short with Bartlett.

    Sign Josh Horn. I don't know how it came to be that the best- hitting shortstop in the minors came to be at Wichita in the independent league American Association, but if the Reds don't sign him someone else will.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,079

    Re: GM For A Little

    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I don't know why so many people want to get rid of harang, Arroyo and Cordero.

    Cordero may be the best closer in the game right now. Yes, he makes a lot, but he earns it. Yes he blew a save last week, but it was in his fifth straight appearance.

    Harang has done everything the Reds ask of him the past two years including going long in an extra inning game, and returning after a two hour rain delay. Harang is a pitcher who's timing is of paramont importance. In both of those cases his timing was thrown off for weeks. He is great for the team and community. I don't think we have seen the best of him yet either.

    Although I think Arroyo is a head case he is tough. Take care of his hand issues this off-season and make sure he is ready to start the year. No guitar man during the off season. Fix that hand.

    If the Reds want to trade for anyone try for Brignac with the Rays. They can offer Alonso or Francisco since the Rays are going to be needing a 1B/ DH type. The Rays have some good outfield prospects and are set at short with Bartlett.

    Sign Josh Horn. I don't know how it came to be that the best- hitting shortstop in the minors came to be at Wichita in the independent league American Association, but if the Reds don't sign him someone else will.
    Can you expand on this guy a bit? I have never heard the name but I am assuming you know a lot about him.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,528

    Re: GM For A Little

    If only I could be GM for one day...just 24 hours....that's all I'd need to improve this club drastically (but I need more to make the trades).

    1. Fire Dusty! (Don't let the door hit you on the way out.)
    2. Hire Rick Sweet to a 5-year contract. Give him job security and let him plan our next World Series title without worrying about whether he'll be around to see it.
    3. Release Willy T. Ramon Hernandez, and Nix
    4. Trade Rolen, Cordero, Harang, and Arroyo, but as soon as Harang or Arroyo is traded, keep the other one. Under no condtions, keep Rolen and Cordero.
    5. Use the $40M picked up from the Rolen, Cordero, Harang and Hernandez contracts and go after Brandon Webb and a Shortstop.

    There's more, but that's plenty. With those moves we could win the World Series in 2010.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,155

    Re: GM For A Little

    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Cordero may be the best closer in the game right now. Yes, he makes a lot, but he earns it. Yes he blew a save last week, but it was in his fifth straight appearance.
    For me its all about the $$$. If we had even a St. Louis-esque payroll then you could juggle the books a bit to help afford the luxury of CoCo to close. But its a case of managing assets, what good is a closer if you cannot get the game to him with a lead? He becomes a paperweight and a big waste of assets, at least to me it does. The ownership hasnt proven that they are willing to spend that extra money thus far to put us on a better footing budget wise and it doesnt make sense to blow that much on a guy who only pitches 1 inning, 2 innings max. Please note I wouldnt just give him away for salary flex, but if I had to take a Ryan Freel to get a better return I would in a heart beat.

    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Harang has done everything the Reds ask of him the past two years including going long in an extra inning game, and returning after a two hour rain delay. Harang is a pitcher who's timing is of paramont importance. In both of those cases his timing was thrown off for weeks. He is great for the team and community. I don't think we have seen the best of him yet either.
    I think its more about the belief that Harang would have the most value in any trade. I dont care who is in the deal, anyone could be had with the right deal.

    I dont like proposing trades, I dont know enough about the minors of all the teams to know who needs what. I like reading opinions on here and the speculation. But thats my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: GM For A Little

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    For me its all about the $$$. If we had even a St. Louis-esque payroll then you could juggle the books a bit to help afford the luxury of CoCo to close. But its a case of managing assets, what good is a closer if you cannot get the game to him with a lead? He becomes a paperweight and a big waste of assets, at least to me it does. The ownership hasnt proven that they are willing to spend that extra money thus far to put us on a better footing budget wise and it doesnt make sense to blow that much on a guy who only pitches 1 inning, 2 innings max. Please note I wouldnt just give him away for salary flex, but if I had to take a Ryan Freel to get a better return I would in a heart beat.



    I think its more about the belief that Harang would have the most value in any trade. I dont care who is in the deal, anyone could be had with the right deal.

    I dont like proposing trades, I dont know enough about the minors of all the teams to know who needs what. I like reading opinions on here and the speculation. But thats my 2 cents.
    On the closer issue...maybe you forget a few years back when the Reds took repeated leads into the eighth and ninth innings only to see the bullpen blow the game. Cordero has stopped all of that. He is one of the best players on this team and is earning his money. I say keep him. If the Reds can't raise the payroll, maybe they should stop calling themselves a major league team.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,155

    Re: GM For A Little

    Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    On the closer issue...maybe you forget a few years back when the Reds took repeated leads into the eighth and ninth innings only to see the bullpen blow the game. Cordero has stopped all of that. He is one of the best players on this team and is earning his money. I say keep him. If the Reds can't raise the payroll, maybe they should stop calling themselves a major league team.
    How many teams throw the large pile of cash at a closer to have them go BJ Ryan or Brad Lidge? Im not saying going back to house of cards closer but almost 1/5 of the total payroll being paid for one inning is INSANE with all our other gigantic holes. You could find guys on FA usually half of what Cordero is making and using the other half to address other problems.
    Last edited by Slyder; 09-24-2009 at 11:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    368

    Re: GM For A Little

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Can you expand on this guy a bit? I have never heard the name but I am assuming you know a lot about him.
    I be honest with you, I don't know a lot. Everyone knows the Reds need a shortstop, bu there really isn't that much availible on the major league level and what is availible is expensive and iffy (Miguel Tejada). In the minors there isn't a whole lot either. The Reds do have Cozart, the Rays Brignac. The Yankess have a guy named Nunez at AA who hits pretty good, but it looks like he has stone hands (33 errors) The Mets have a guy at AA who looks all right, but nothing great.

    So I checked out the Independent Leagues and found this guy Josh Horn. He batted .310 this year with an OBP of ..393. Hhis OPS was .700. Not a great power hitter, but he also had 19 steals in 20 attempts. He did have 16 errors in 93 games.

    It was hard to find any more out about him because apparently there is another guy by the same name who pitches for the Richmond Spiders. When you check on the baseball cube the Spider always pops up first and all you get is pitching stats. You have to go to the hitting stats to find the Wingnut.

    Anyway, in 2006 Horn batted .330 with a OBP of .398 and OPS of .898 for Middle Tennessee State. He was All Conference in the Sun Belt Conference. Wasn't drafted so he signed with the Windy City Thunderbolts of the independent Frontier League. In 2007 he batted .302 with an OBP of .386, and a OPS of .821. Stayed with them in 2008, batted .290 with an OBP of .334 and an OPS of .738. In 2009 the Wichita Wingnuts of the independent American Association signed him and he batted .310 with an OPB of .393 and an OPS of .700 He was an all-star in the frontier League in both 07 and 08, and an all star in the American Association this past year. He has also been a volunteer baseball coach at Belmont College

    That is all I know about him. I even tried to get some info on Wichita sites about him, but other than the fact that he was credited with providing the Wingnuts the spark that got them into the AA playoffs. The Wingnuts did pick up his option for 2010.

    The thing is if the Reds, or any other club (I can't believe the Royals don't know about him.) the would buy the contract which can't be that expensive, then signed him to a minor league contract which also would not be that expensive they might have themselves a pretty good shortstop. it is a lot cheaper than trading a good prospect away for a so-so prospect. It also is a lot cheaper than picking up a Tejada.

    Knowing the Reds need of a SS I think a minor league contract is worth the risk.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West bye Gawd Virginia
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: GM For A Little

    1. Trade Harang, he is too expensive and is damaged goods, he needs a change of scenery.
    2. Get rid of Tavarez and Hernandez in any way shape or form, hopefully trading for a shortstop.
    3. Sign the FA right handed bat we were promised last year, a great hitting catcher will do.
    4. KEEP COCO CORDERO, there is a reason we kick ass after 8 innings.
    5. Bring up Alonzo and make either he or Votto play LF.
    6. Sign a FA starting pitcher-a reliable one

    Lineup...

    1. Stubbs CF
    2. New SS
    3. Phillips 2B
    4. Votto LF/1B
    5. Rolen 3B
    6. Bruce RF
    7. Alonzo LF/1B
    8. New C

    Rotation

    1. Arroyo
    2. Bailey
    3. Cueto
    4. new pitcher
    5. Lehr? I don't know

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    WEST CARROLLTON OHIO
    Posts
    1,274

    Re: GM For A Little

    Sorry but there is not a great RH hitting catcher out there that is not too old and over the hill

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,079

    Re: GM For A Little

    Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    1. Trade Harang, he is too expensive and is damaged goods, he needs a change of scenery.
    2. Get rid of Tavarez and Hernandez in any way shape or form, hopefully trading for a shortstop.
    3. Sign the FA right handed bat we were promised last year, a great hitting catcher will do.

    4. KEEP COCO CORDERO, there is a reason we kick ass after 8 innings.
    5. Bring up Alonzo and make either he or Votto play LF.
    6. Sign a FA starting pitcher-a reliable one

    Lineup...

    1. Stubbs CF
    2. New SS
    3. Phillips 2B
    4. Votto LF/1B
    5. Rolen 3B
    6. Bruce RF
    7. Alonzo LF/1B
    8. New C

    Rotation

    1. Arroyo
    2. Bailey
    3. Cueto
    4. new pitcher
    5. Lehr? I don't know
    Those are great but are pipe dreams. We can't trade away Hernandez anyway unless we picked up his option which would be a poor move in the first place. And in the instance Taveras was included in any package for a SS the SS would have to make a few mil and make Janish look like an All-Star.

    We are not gonna get the big RH bat via free agency. We do not have the money to spend 15 million a year on Bay or Holliday. Our best option for a RH bat is going to be some sort of trade, but I am guessing Rolen turns out to be that bat Jocketty promised us.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kettering
    Posts
    832

    Re: GM For A Little

    My 2009 Reds:

    Lineup:

    C: Ramon Hernandez or a FA Upgrade
    1B: Joey Votto
    2B: Todd Frazier
    3B: Scott Rolen
    SS: Brandon Phillips
    LF: Jonny Gomes
    CF: Drew Stubbs
    RF: Jay Bruce

    Bench:

    Rosales
    Sutton
    Dickerson
    Janish

    My 2009 Rotation:

    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Cueto
    Harang
    Maloney

    I left gaps on the Bench and the Bullpen obviously


    Moves to be made:

    If Frazier isn't ready for 2B, leave BP at 2B and leave Janish at SS

    DON'T TRADE COCO FOR ANYONE. (Brad Lidge included. That is just idiotic to consider)
    Last edited by JayBruceFan; 09-26-2009 at 04:46 AM.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    93

    Re: GM For A Little

    GM for a day? Sweet... Here's what I would do. Besides the obvious like fire Dusty, hire Sweet, release Taveras and Nix, try and get Hernandez cheaper and so on....

    1. Offer Milwaukee Dickerson and a reliever (Ramirez?) for Hardy. They don't seem to have a lot of relief depth. If they don't bite, take it up a notch and switch Dickerson to Balentien. Or...

    1.1. If we can't get Hardy turn to the Rays and offer them Yonder Alonso, Viola, Dickerson/Balentien and a low-level prospect for Brignac, J.P. Howell and a prospect.

    2. Seeing how brittle the Marlins rotation always seems and depending on how they handle the Josh Johnson-situation offer them Harang for Andrew Miller. Miller hasn't been able to use his potential in Florida so far, it seems. Maybe they'd like to further strenghten their rotation with a guy like Harang. Throw in a scruffy prospect if they're hesitant. Plus I'd love to free up some more money...

    3. With some extra money offer Doug Davis a contract or take a flyer on Sheets.

    4. Since I'm happy with Hanigan don't do anything major with the catcher position. Try and get Hernandez cheaper... If not, we got a bat at shortstop so it also doesn't seem necessary. Instead sign a guy like Jose Molina, if we can't get him for very, very little money just go in with Corky as a backup. Even though he's a bad hitter he seems to work well with our young pitchers.

    Infield

    Hanigan C
    Rolen 3B
    Hardy SS
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B

    Outfield

    Dorn/Gomes LF
    Stubbs CF
    Bruce RF (Screw it, just let him play. I'm not feeling that platoon-thought)

    Starters

    Cueto
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Doug Davis/Matt Maloney
    A. Miller

    Bullpen

    Cordero
    Masset
    Herrera
    Owings/Fisher
    Rhodes
    Howell/Burton

    Let Owings and Fisher battle it out during ST. I'd like to have them both left in the club either in the Bigs or at triple a. Although it would be nice to have Owings's bat as a long-reliever.


    Bench

    Drew Sutton
    Dickerson/Balentien
    Hernandez/Molina/Miller
    Dorn/Gomes
    Janish

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,528

    Re: GM For A Little

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    For me its all about the $$$. If we had even a St. Louis-esque payroll then you could juggle the books a bit to help afford the luxury of CoCo to close. But its a case of managing assets, what good is a closer if you cannot get the game to him with a lead? He becomes a paperweight and a big waste of assets, at least to me it does. The ownership hasnt proven that they are willing to spend that extra money thus far to put us on a better footing budget wise and it doesnt make sense to blow that much on a guy who only pitches 1 inning, 2 innings max. Please note I wouldnt just give him away for salary flex, but if I had to take a Ryan Freel to get a better return I would in a heart beat.



    I think its more about the belief that Harang would have the most value in any trade. I dont care who is in the deal, anyone could be had with the right deal.

    I dont like proposing trades, I dont know enough about the minors of all the teams to know who needs what. I like reading opinions on here and the speculation. But thats my 2 cents.
    I see Roby's point, but I agree with you 100%.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25