Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the Reds afford to let Gomes walk?

Can the Reds afford to let Gomes walk?

Just wondering if our beloved Redlegs can afford to allow a player like Jonny Gomes to walk after this season.

It seems to me Gomes is the very type of player you want to build a team with. He's in the same mold of Joey Votto in that he plays very hard and contributes to this club.

I guess the youngans down in the minors may be a deciding factor, but I for one would love to see Gomes with this club in 2010. An outfield of Gomes, Stubbs, and Bruce don't sound too bad.

What say you?
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Can the Reds afford to let Gomes walk?

The Reds arn't going to find a cheaper option in my mind. They passed up 5-6 Million on some Bobby Abreu character and he's been a huge addition to the Angels. Jonny Gomes in my mind is a cheap option because Matt Holliday probably wouldn't be signed.. Plus imagine if he had 500 ABs.. Granted he is touted as a platoon guy but has turned into a power bat. I think he is worth 3-4 Million + releasing Willy Taveras and his contract. I would go with Stubbs/Dickerson in CF, Gomes in LF, and Bruce in RF. The Reds HAVE to ink him!

keep him. LF could get real messy if we let Gomes walk.

Why do we need to keep Jonny Gomes when we have Darnell MacDonald?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    keep him. LF could get real messy if we let Gomes walk.
    I would argue that it's already messy, and would just get messier (not, not mark the hockey player) if we let a productive platoon player go.

Let's go Nix, Gomes, Balentien in LF, Dickerson & Stubbs in CF, and Bruce & Balentien in RF.

There's no reason at all to let him walk. If he really doesn't fit into the plans (and I feel that he does) offer him arb and then try and trade him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I would argue that it's already messy, and would just get messier (not, not mark the hockey player) if we let a productive platoon player go.

Let's go Nix, Gomes, Balentien in LF, Dickerson & Stubbs in CF, and Bruce & Balentien in RF.
    I'm not a huge fan of platooning all three outfield positions. Especially Bruuuuuuce.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Keep Gomes IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

How can this front office be trusted to do anything right when it comes to the outfield situation here? Johnny Gomes didn't even make the OPENING DAY ROSTER and was banished to Louisville in favor of worthless journeyman Darnell McDonald, who, even if things went perfect for him this year, would still be awful.

The Reds best players of late just seem to fall into their laps. And again, if everything had gone like the brass planned, Johnny Gomes wouldn't have even been here this year.

Awful.

On a team with no "pop," why would you let him go? On a team who values Willy Taveras and Darnell McDonald, both who are never going to be anything close to major league outfielders (yes, he hit a HR tonight and once in awhile looks somewhat legitimate). This brain trust left him in the minors when the season began in favor of Big Mac. Nuff said. I fear he'll go elsewhere and continue to be the player we need in our search of speed and Dustyplayers. God help us all.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I like Gomes....keep him around.

I'm still not sure why he was in AAA at season's beginning so McDonald could play, but that's the past.

Yes, but they won't and he'll probably return as some kind of savior with a new book on him, a steady diet of breaking and offspeed stuff and a return to what he was in Tampa. Switching leagues has but one honeymoon season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Keep Jonny around for love of god!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of platooning all three outfield positions. Especially Bruuuuuuce.
    I put Balentien in both LF & RF, b/c that's where he should play given the other guys on my list.

Not that I want Balentien to platoon with Bruce, but that LF or RF would/should be where he'd play with Dickerson and Stubbs being our best defensive CFers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Yes, but they won't and he'll probably return as some kind of savior with a new book on him, a steady diet of breaking and offspeed stuff and a return to what he was in Tampa. Switching leagues has but one honeymoon season.
    It's a valid point that if you exposed him as an everyday player, his numbers would drop, given that opponents would accurately scout him and then pitch accordingly to his weaknesses.

Turn Off Ads?