Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "FlashForward" TV Series thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"FlashForward" TV Series thread

I didn't a thread started for the new ABC series that premiered last night, but my wife and I watched FlashForward (one word) since we'd read that it was going to be a good show.

My wife wrote this to two of our kids who are Lost addicts like us:

If you are looking for a new TV show to replace "Lost", now that we have only one season left of that, you might try the new series that premiered last night on ABC:
    "FlashForward".

Dad and I tuned in last night because I had read that it's the 'most intelligent new show on tv", and because one article said it's like "Lost" "in a good way." Although we missed the first 7 minutes or so (and clearly those minutes are very important and we need to go back and watch them!), we got hooked pretty quickly. I keep thinking about it today.

Also, just a bonus: Penny (yes, Desmond's Penny) has a major role, as well as Joseph Fiennes (Shakespeare in Love), who is easy on the eyes. And the preview for next week shows that Dominic Monawhatever (Charlie) will be on next week. Also, Dad thought he saw AnnaLucia (who I CANNOT STAND) in a clip. If that's true, I'll probably manage to watch it anyway.

The premiere episode repeats tonight, but it's also online. I want to watch it again, not just for the first few minutes I missed, but to see what else I missed on first watching it.

The premise is that the entire world experienced a 2 minute and 17 second "blackout," but as people begin talk about it they realize it hadn't been a blackout, but rather a flash forward six months. Instead of being unconscious, they saw events that were occurring on April 29 (or 30th depending on where you were).

One consequence of the blacking out was that whatever was machinery continued to run (or not) etc. so there had been a great number of casualties due to vehicles of every sort crashing. It's running again tonight, so check out if you want.

Anyhoo, here's the thread for discussing. And I've purposely left out some details which would be spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 09-25-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: To correct show's name
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Re: "FlashForward" TV Series thread

Here's a bit I found on a blog, again without giving up too much:

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2009/09/flashforward.html

“Here is some info on how they plan to sustain the plot line (from Ausiello @ EW)

“By the end of the first season most of the questions in the pilot will be answered,” says e.p. David Goyer. The exception: The “overarching cause of why the blackout happened” won’t be revealed until the end of the series.

David Goyer is an “enormous fan of Lost” and says the show “proved to me that there could be a place on network television for” dramas with large ensembles featuring different shades of morality. Damon Lindelof’s advice to him: “Tell your story. Stick to your guns.”

The timeline of Season 1 will go beyond April 29, 2010 (a.k.a. D-day), but it won’t be the season finale. “The signifiance of that date is one of the mysteries of the show,” says e.p. Guggenheim. “And what’s going to happen after April 29 is another mystery of the show.”

Monaghan, who says FF is “not as sophisticated” and mythology-rich as Lost, signed on without a script or a specific character description. “He took an enormous leap of faith,” says David Goyer. Monaghan’s only request: He wanted to play someone vastly different than Charlie. (Producers remain mum on who exactly he will be playing.)

Casting notes: Seth MacFarlane (yes, that Seth MacFarlane) and Alex Kingston (or “the woman from ER,” as one reporter referred to her) will continue to recur. Gabrielle Union, meanwhile, kicks off her arc in episode 3.

Lost has polar bears. FlashForward has a kangaroo.

Walger says she has “absolutely no idea” if she’s returning to Lost as Penny
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I loved this show last night. It got my attention right away and I can't wait to see what's coming next.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Looks like it will be a great show. Fingers crossed that it breaks the recent trend of 1-season-or-less sci-fi shows on network TV. It probably won't, since I'm watching it. The only sci-fi show that has survived for more than a season lately is the one that I don't watch... Lost.

My son read the book upon which the series is based. I had it checked out of the library for over a month and never got around to reading it.

Looks stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Looks stupid.
    Just curious, care to elaborate?

The Baseball Bookstore

Finally watched my DVR'd episode and I thought it was very cool...story has a great many ways it could go and I think this show has all the potential in the world. With David Goyer (The Dark Knight among others) on the credits, it gives me faith it will continue to be good...

Big Lost fan here. I enjoyed Flash Forward and even thought it was a bit spooky at times (like Lost). John Cho seems horribly miscast. I never bought into his tough talk. And the fact that a regional FBI agent would be put in charge of investigating the biggest disaster in human history seemed a bit ridiculous.
    Will stick with it for a couple more episodes, but I fear Jericho-like corniness.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    John Cho seems horribly miscast. I never bought into his tough talk.

I cannot watch John Cho without envisioning him standing in front of the picture of Stifler's mom at the party in American Pie.

As for the show, I'm pulled in and looking forward to where this goes. I got a chuckle out of seeing the Lost actors, especially given that this show seems a bit similar.

Also, did anyone notice that the first seconds of this show were very similar to the first seconds of Lost, when the close-up shot of Jack's eyes pulls back to reveal him lying on the ground in the jungle? Seconds later, he is a leader in the middle of a disaster scene.

Speaking of Lost, man, I'm going to miss that show! I hope they leave us satisfied with the ending next May.
    Last edited by macro; 09-29-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I don't watch a lot of TV in general, and it's rare that I watch network stuff, but I decided to give this a try and was pleasantly surprised. I hope the rest of the season lives up to the pilot. Anyone know if the book is any good?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I found it quite entertaining. The first 20 minutes really pulled me in.

Finally watched it on my DVR last night. I really enjoyed it. Seems like a good story. I will be interested to see if there is anything people can do to change their visions or, like Lost, what happens happens.

I was looking forward to this show since the spring. I was very pleased with the first episode. The dilemas these characters now face with knowledge of the future should make for some great storylines.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm wondering if the show will be as popular if it can't sustain the production values of the first episode. That pilot had to have cost millions to produce.

It's a curious trend how many series pilots this season have featured traffic accidents on bridges: this one, Trauma, Mercy.

I just watched it. I feel like they were trying too hard. The third show in a series like this is when it typically starts hitting its stride.

Kind of like Life on Mars. After ABC decided to cancel the show, it ended with them actually landing on Mars. Which stunk.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?