Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/25: Reds vs Astros

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 9/25: Reds vs Astros

Wow...Man, does Juan ever swing HARD!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Watching Votto, Bruce and Francisco hit tonight, the NL Central had better load up with lefties. These three can do some major damage.

Francsico against a lefty. Let's see how he does. Base hit. Guy is unreal.

Cisco singles again.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

3 hits for Juan tonight! Single to right center

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    He just turned 22. He adjusted to AA and then blew away both AA and AAA. He's hitting .500 with an .800 slugging pct in his major league start. I think he deserves a couple of months to adjust to big curveballs.

The Astros announcers said that strikeouts are his bugaboo. They couldn't be more wrong.

JF's special ability is to make contact -- for a power hitter. In the last two seasons, his strikeout percentage has been quite low for a power guy. He doesn't walk much, which is a deficiency, but he compensates by making contact frequently for a power hitter.

I think JF is going to be an all star player in the major leagues. I hope the Reds stick with him. He has fairly unusual abilities -- but as we saw in that last at bat, a two strike hit to knock in a run, he has the knack of hitting the baseball with authority, he does it often, and that's a great thing for a young player.
    Well, I wouldn't quite go so far to say he makes contact frequently - even for a power hitter. He did strikeout over 21% of his PA's this year in the minors. That's still above average. Yes, you are correct, that it's not 25, 28 and 30% like some sluggers. But I would not categorize it as making contact frequently, per se.

I agree with you on most everything else. I think the kid has a bright future ahead of him if he stays disciplined as a hitter. His raw power is enough to compensate for having a lower walk rate, so long as it's within reason. He could well be a great hitter. Your points are mostly on-target. I just would not necessarily make it out to be like he's had no trouble making contact.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

1st and 3rd after Hanigan with a solid ab resulting in a single to right center

Let's see. From the left side the Reds have Votto, Bruce, Francisco, Alonso. From the right side there's Phillips, Rolen, Stubbs. Maybe Frazier.

I think one more righty hitter should do the trick. Fairly exciting actually.

Maloney grounds out to Matsui to end the inning. 8-1 Redlegs

Let's see. From the left side the Reds have Votto, Bruce, Francisco, Alonso. From the right side there's Phillips, Rolen, Stubbs. Maybe Frazier.

No love for Gomes?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

In theory...it looks good. I just don't see Alonso fitting into that mix. I don't think the Reds want to move Phillips to short just like I don't think they're going to want to move Votto to left. Alonso's going to be a man without a position on the big club. Odd man out and major trade bait IMO.

On second look, I'm not sure where those guys you listed would play. Rolen...3rd. Juan...? Left? Votto & Yonder...? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Well, I wouldn't quite go so far to say he makes contact frequently - even for a power hitter. He did strikeout over 21% of his PA's this year in the minors. That's still above average. Yes, you are correct, that it's not 25, 28 and 30% like some sluggers. But I would not categorize it as making contact frequently, per se.

I agree with you on most everything else. I think the kid has a bright future ahead of him if he stays disciplined as a hitter. His raw power is enough to compensate for having a lower walk rate, so long as it's within reason. He could well be a great hitter. Your points are mostly on-target. I just would not necessarily make it out to be like he's had no trouble making contact.
    Respectfully disagree on the strikeouts. For a guy with his power, 21 percent is a very good number. Look at guys like Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn. Much higher.

In addition, Francisco doesn't walk much. His 21 percent includes a lot of bad pitches that other guys take. I'm not lauding him for swinging at bad pitches, but given his overall profile (huge power, low walks) that 21 percent number is quite good.

In the minors, his RBI totals were consistently high. I think this is because he gets the bat on the ball so much.

Again, I'm not comparing him to slap hitters with very low K totals. But when you look at the huge power potential, well, you see what I mean.

He also has shown me so far that he will use the whole stadium. Tonight he has three ground ball or line drive singles, including an RBI with two strikes. Impressive for a big guy. So it's not just big swing after big swing.

Frankly, tonight, I'm most impressed with Bruce's swings. Much better than when he struggled earlier. It's fun to watch the Reds hit and play well, isn't it?
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-25-2009 at 09:49 PM.

I still think they keep Gomes. How much could he actually get in arbitration? His numbers ate decent but not bank breaking.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Juan about coming out of his shoes to start running to 1B on that single was the funniest thing I've seen all day and I REALLY needed to laugh after a tough week! Thanks Juan.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

'Stros top prospect Manzella K's. Really nice start from Maloney tonight. He's really locating well and changing speeds effectively.

I wonder if Maloney realizes how important this start is to him. Anyone watching this will want this guy. A big deceptive lefty, strikes guys out, good control.

Reds patience with him is paying off.

Turn Off Ads?