Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Take the $75 Million Challenge

Take the $75 Million Challenge

Here's the challenge: You play GM and construct a 2010 Cincinnati Reds squad that you think has the best chance to contend. But you have to follow these five rules to play the game:

1. Your total player budget must have a cap of $75 million.
    2. You are permitted no more than three free-agent signings.
    3. You are permitted no more than three trades, and they should be reasonably realistic trades.
    4. Projected salaries you attach to free-agents or players requiring new contracts should be within the realm of the real, and all salaries for returning players should be those already negotiated (see figures below).
    5. You must allow $5 million to cover fixed, sunken costs that the Reds might owe to players like Taveras, Hernandez or Lincoln, who might be cut this winter or otherwise not able to contribute next season. For the sake of leveling the playing field, all contenders in the Challenge must include this $5 million "tax" in calculating their $75 million total.

I'll get the ball rolling with my Challenge team:

Free-agent signings
    1. Either catcher Rod Barajas (Blue Jays) or Miguel Olivo (Royals) at $2.5 million to split duties behind the plate with Ryan Hanigan.
    2. Veteran utility infielder Jamey Carroll (Indians) to back up 2B, 3B and OF at $1.5 million.

Trades
    1. Francisco Cordero (salaried at $12 million) and prospect Todd Frazier to the LA Angels for closer Brian Fuentes and SS Maicer Izturis.

Reds re-signings

1. Johnny Gomes, LF, at $2 million.
    2. Laynce Nix, LF, at $1 million.
    3. Jared Burton, relief pitcher, at $1 million.

My $75 million team:

C Barajas or Olivo $2.5 million
    1B Votto $0.5 million
    2B Phillips $6.75 million
    SS Izturis $2.5 million
    3B Rolen $10 million
    LF Gomes $2 million
    CF Stubbs $0.5 million
    RF Bruce $0.5 million

Bench
    C Hanigan $0.5 million
    SS Janish $0.5 million
    Util Inf Carroll $1.5 million
    OF-1B Nix $1 million (I'd require Nix to spend the winter working out at 1B as a condition of his re-signing)
    OF Dickerson $0.5 million

SP
    Harang $12.5 million
    Arroyo $11 million
    Cueto $0.5 million
    Bailey $0.5 million
    Maloney/Volquez $0.5 million

Bullpen
    Owings $0.5 million
    Fisher $0.5 million
    Herrera $0.5 million
    Burton $1 million
    Rhodes $2 million
    Masset $0.5 million
    Fuentes $9 million

Dead Wood Pile $5 million

Total Budget $74.25 million

I use the $750,000 left over to sign Kip Wells to an incentive-laden minor league deal that would kick into much higher gear ($2-$3 million) if he started 12 or more games at the major league level. He wouldn't get these starts unless the season was going badly, in which case, either Harang or Arroyo would be sent packing, more than amply covering Wells' salary bump-up.

There you have it. My team. Can you construct a better one? I'm sure many of you can, so let's see the deals, the signings, the brilliant strategery.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Take the $75 Million Challenge

Guaca,

Nice plan. Its along the lines of of what I'd hope for, but you're a little over. There is $7.5 in dead money (Taveras $4, Lincoln $2.5, Hernandez $1) unless you can deal some of it and since Volquez is on the DL you would have to pay both he and Maloney. You also would need to include Alonso's major league deal at about $600K.

I don't think the Reds will be very active so my plan includes just one deal and 2 re-signings.

Reds trade Jared Burton, Mike Lincoln, Yonder Alonso and Drew Sutton to Tampa Bay for Reid Brignac, Dioner Navarro and Matt Joyce.

Reds Re-sign Kip Wells to a 1 year 1.25 Guranteed deal with Incentives to get him to 2.25 Million.

Reds sign Jonny Gomes to a 1 year $2.5 Million deal.

The team:

Code:
    Num	Pos	Name	Sal
    1	S1	Cueto	0.5
    2	S2	Harang	12.5
    3	S3	Arroyo	11
    4	S4	Bailey	0.4
    5	S5	Wells	2.25
    6	SW	Owings	0.5
    7	LHRP	Bray	0.5
    8	LHRP	Hererra	0.4
    9	RHRP	Masset	0.5
    10	RHRP	Fisher	0.4
    11	SU	Rhodes	2
    12	CL	Cordero	12
    13	C1	Navarro	2.5
    14	C2	Hanigan	0.4
    15	1B	Votto	0.5
    16	2B	BPhil.	6.75
    17	3B	Rolen	11
    18	SS	Brignac	0.4
    19	UI	Janish	0.4
    20	LF	Gomes	2.5
    21	CF	Stubbs	0.4
    22	RF	Bruce	0.4
    23	4OF	CDick	0.4
    24	5OF	Wlad	0.4
    25	Super	Joyce	0.4
    DL	DL	Volquez	0.5
    Dead	Dead	Willy T	4		
    Dead	Dead	Hern.	1
                    Total   $74.9
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

mth123,

I calculated $5 million in dead wood based on the assumption that the Reds could trade Taveras for a bag of baseballs, providing they absorb $2 million of his $4 million contract. We'll see if Jocketty can get that done. Maybe, or it might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Nice response to the Challenge, by the way. I had envisioned a scenario involving Brignac as one of the alternatives to my own plan, although I hadn't fleshed out that option so well as you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Guaca,

Nice plan. Its along the lines of of what I'd hope for, but you're a little over. There is $7.5 in dead money (Taveras $4, Lincoln $2.5, Hernandez $1) unless you can deal some of it and since Volquez is on the DL you would have to pay both he and Maloney. You also would need to include Alonso's major league deal at about $600K.

I don't think the Reds will be very active so my plan includes just one deal and 2 re-signings.

Reds trade Jared Burton, Mike Lincoln, Yonder Alonso and Drew Sutton to Tampa Bay for Reid Brignac, Dioner Navarro and Matt Joyce.

Reds Re-sign Kip Wells to a 1 year 1.25 Guranteed deal with Incentives to get him to 2.25 Million.

Reds sign Jonny Gomes to a 1 year $2.5 Million deal.

The team:

Code:
    Num	Pos	Name	Sal
    1	S1	Cueto	0.5
    2	S2	Harang	12.5
    3	S3	Arroyo	11
    4	S4	Bailey	0.4
    5	S5	Wells	2.25
    6	SW	Owings	0.5
    7	LHRP	Bray	0.5
    8	LHRP	Hererra	0.4
    9	RHRP	Masset	0.5
    10	RHRP	Fisher	0.4
    11	SU	Rhodes	2
    12	CL	Cordero	12
    13	C1	Navarro	2.5
    14	C2	Hanigan	0.4
    15	1B	Votto	0.5
    16	2B	BPhil.	6.75
    17	3B	Rolen	11
    18	SS	Brignac	0.4
    19	UI	Janish	0.4
    20	LF	Gomes	2.5
    21	CF	Stubbs	0.4
    22	RF	Bruce	0.4
    23	4OF	CDick	0.4
    24	5OF	Wlad	0.4
    25	Super	Joyce	0.4
    DL	DL	Volquez	0.5
    Dead	Dead	Willy T	4		
    Dead	Dead	Hern.	1
                    Total   $74.9
    I also feel the Reds won't be very active.

IMO trading Alonso for a SS makes sense. With Francisco beating him to the majors and his ability to play LF Alonso seems the odd man out.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I also feel the Reds won't be very active.

IMO trading Alonso for a SS makes sense. With Francisco beating him to the majors and his ability to play LF Alonso seems the odd man out.
    Brignac's stock is down, so even I think it may be selling low on Alonso, but if they get a SS of the future out of the deal and Matt Joyce who is a LH bat that can play the OF to somewhat replace Alonso it may make sense. Adding Lincoln to to the deal in order to exchange his salary for Navarro's turns dead money into a position filled. I think TB may be getting the best guy here, but there is upside on the reds end of the deal I'm proposing.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Trades
    1. Deal Yonder Alonso and Chris Dickerson to Boston for Luis Esposito (minor league catcher) and SS Jed Lowrie.
    Boston's going to need a good fourth OF especially as brittle as Ellsbury and Drew are proving to be. They'll also need a 1B in a couple years and Lars Andersen doesn't look to be the answer. Alonso could make this a horid deal, but it's a gamble for a sweet-fielding, league average SS bat. Esposito, as a C, has put up great numbers, but isn't highly though of.

2. Trade CoCo Cordero to the Philadelphia Phillies for SP Jamie Moyer and RP JC Romero.
    The money almost evens out, with Cincinnati making about $1.5 million. Moyer's been done for a decade but finds a way to win. He'd be a fine tutor (and ersatz pitching coach) and fifth starter. Romero is expensive, but good.

3. Trade 3B Juan Francisco, RP Mike Lincoln and SP Aaron Harang to Kansas City for SP Brian Bannister, 3B Alex Gordon and C John Buck.
    Here's the blockbuster. The Royals take on $7 million or so, but make out on talent. Francisco fits their swing-the-bats philosophy and Gordon has really fallen out of favor. Harang becomes a nice #2 or 3 behind Greinke and it costs only a fourth starter (who may be an innings eater), a failed prospect (with undeniable talent), and a back-up catcher. This deal sets up Cincinnati nicely for 2011, with Rolen out of town.

Free Agent Signings/ Other Moves
    1. DFA Willy Taveras
    2. Sign SP Ben Sheets to an incentive-laden two-year, back-loaded deal for $5 million in 2010 and $7.5 in 2011.
    Taveras is gone a year early and a real gamble is taken on Sheets. If he's healthy, he's a true ace. If not, the Reds have enough arms to deal with it.

Roster
    Starters
    Cueto
    Bannister/ Sheets
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Moyer
    Analysis: Fairly decent rotation with a possibility of a dominant one. Both Bailey and Cueto could blossom into bone fide aces, Arroyo provides league average or better innings, Bannister is still learning but likely not to hurt too much (especially as a sixth starter), and Moyer gives his experience to all. Sheets is the wildcard and, at best, probably a six-inning ace. With the long man Owings (and Bannister available as well), that's okay, especially considering the other arms in the rotation. When/If Voquez comes back, he's a bullpenner.

Relievers
    Romero
    Masset
    Herrera
    Fisher
    Owings
    Rhodes
    Analysis: I'd lean toward Masset as closer, with set-up guys Rhodes, Romero, and Fisher in the seventh and eighth innings. Owings is the long man, though Viola may be a decent option for that as well. This pen is very left-handed, but that should cause problems for the best hitters in the Central.

Infield
    Rolen 3B
    Phillips 2B
    Lowrie SS
    Votto 1B
    Hanigan/ Buck C
    Analysis: Great D, and the bats are decent too. If Lowrie struggles, Phillips moves to SS and Frazier moves to 2B. That hurts the D, but should help the batting order.

Outfield
    Dorn/ Gomes LF
    Stubbs/ Bruce CF
    Bruce/ Balentien RF
    Analysis: Platoons are the order of the day. The Dorn/Gomes platoon wouldn't be a strict one at all; Gomes would make most of the starts, in fact. Bruce plays center if Stubbs struggles. If Bruce becomes what people thought he was in the minors, this group will be more than adequate.

Bench
    Frazier
    Gordon
    Sutton MI
    Analysis: Seriously good bench here, with good pop. Frazier plays LF and some middle infield, Gordon plays the corner IF spots if need be. Sutton is the middle infield guy for long term.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 09-27-2009 at 02:23 PM.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Trades
    1. Deal Yonder Alonso and Chris Dickerson to Boston for Luis Esposito (minor league catcher) and SS Jed Lowrie.
    Boston's going to need a good fourth OF especially as brittle as Ellsbury and Drew are proving to be. They'll also need a 1B in a couple years and Lars Andersen doesn't look to be the answer. Alonso could make this a horid deal, but it's a gamble for a sweet-fielding, league average SS bat. Esposito, as a C, has put up great numbers, but isn't highly though of.

2. Trade CoCo Cordero to the Philadelphia Phillies for SP Jamie Moyer and RP JC Romero.
    The money almost evens out, with Cincinnati making about $1.5 million. Moyer's been done for a decade but finds a way to win. He'd be a fine tutor (and ersatz pitching coach) and fifth starter. Romero is expensive, but good.

3. Trade 3B Juan Francisco, RP Mike Lincoln and SP Aaron Harang to Kansas City for SP Brian Bannister, 3B Alex Gordon and C John Buck.
    Here's the blockbuster. The Royals take on $7 million or so, but make out on talent. Francisco fits their swing-the-bats philosophy and Gordon has really fallen out of favor. Harang becomes a nice #2 or 3 behind Greinke and it costs only a fourth starter (who may be an innings eater), a failed prospect (with undeniable talent), and a back-up catcher. This deal sets up Cincinnati nicely for 2011, with Rolen out of town.

Free Agent Signings/ Other Moves
    1. DFA Willy Taveras
    2. Sign SP Ben Sheets to an incentive-laden two-year, back-loaded deal for $5 million in 2010 and $7.5 in 2011.
    Taveras is gone a year early and a real gamble is taken on Sheets. If he's healthy, he's a true ace. If not, the Reds have enough arms to deal with it.

Roster
    Starters
    Cueto
    Bannister/ Sheets
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Moyer
    Analysis: Fairly decent rotation with a possibility of a dominant one. Both Bailey and Cueto could blossom into bone fide aces, Arroyo provides league average or better innings, Bannister is still learning but likely not to hurt too much (especially as a sixth starter), and Moyer gives his experience to all. Sheets is the wildcard and, at best, probably a six-inning ace. With the long man Owings (and Bannister available as well), that's okay, especially considering the other arms in the rotation. When/If Voquez comes back, he's a bullpenner.

Relievers
    Romero
    Masset
    Herrera
    Fisher
    Owings
    Rhodes
    Analysis: I'd lean toward Masset as closer, with set-up guys Rhodes, Romero, and Fisher in the seventh and eighth innings. Owings is the long man, though Viola may be a decent option for that as well. This pen is very left-handed, but that should cause problems for the best hitters in the Central.

Infield
    Rolen 3B
    Phillips 2B
    Lowrie SS
    Votto 1B
    Hanigan/ Buck C
    Analysis: Great D, and the bats are decent too. If Lowrie struggles, Phillips moves to SS and Frazier moves to 2B. That hurts the D, but should help the batting order.

Outfield
    Dorn/ Gomes LF
    Stubbs/ Bruce CF
    Bruce/ Balentien RF
    Analysis: Platoons are the order of the day. The Dorn/Gomes platoon wouldn't be a strict one at all; Gomes would make most of the starts, in fact. Bruce plays center if Stubbs struggles. If Bruce becomes what people thought he was in the minors, this group will be more than adequate.

Bench
    Frazier
    Gordon
    Sutton MI
    Analysis: Seriously good bench here, with good pop. Frazier plays LF and some middle infield, Gordon plays the corner IF spots if need be. Sutton is the middle infield guy for long term.
    Not bad. I wonder if Moyer would just retire if he was dealt. Isn't he from Philly and his deal there all about going home to finish his career?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I can't beleive this one.

Why trade our best pitcher unless we are getting (1) salary relief; and/or (2) some young players (with upside) to fill important holes?

Trading Cordero fro two players who are older than my Mother makes zero sense.

Romero is a fine LOOGY, but we are stacked there already. Moyer is someone to stay away from.

If I have a guy that I think Boston will look on as the answer to its 1b problem, I'm not trading him. I think we have that guy and I wouldn't trade him. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    If I have a guy that I think Boston will look on as the answer to its 1b problem, I'm not trading him. I think we have that guy and I wouldn't trade him. Period.
    I don't know anymore. The Reds have Votto and he's settling in now. Need to get a SS somehow.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I wouldn't trade Alonso because Francisco beat him to the majors. I'm still not sold on Francisco...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'm not sure why Francisco beating Alonso to the majors means a hill of beans.

Votto may well be our everyday LF come 2011.

Turn Off Ads?