Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    Sweet on Franicsco, Frazier and Valaika
    Posted by jfay September 26th, 2009, 5:52 pm

    Louisville manager Rick Sweet is with the Reds for this series, I talked to him about Juan Francisco, Todd Frazier and Chris Valaika:

    –Francisco: Fans are getting a look at Francisco at the plate. He’s looked good so far. He’s hitting ht, hitting .462 with a home run and four RBI in 13 at-bats. Francisco combined to hit .295 with 27 homers and 93 RBI at Double-A and Triple-A this year.

    But Francisco plays third base. The Reds have Scott Rolen there. Francisco did play some left field for Sweet.

    “He was all right,” Sweet said. “To be quite honest, I was surprised. I don’t know it but we had worked him out there before. So he had some experience. He made all the plays. In fact, he made a couple of plays where he had to run a long way. His routes were good to the ball, which is an instinctual thing. I put guys out and you’d see them go for balls and say: This ain’t going to work. You didn’t say that with him.”

    Francisco will go to the Instructional League to work on his outfield skills.

    –Frazier: The Reds moved him to second base midway through this year. He’s played first, shortstop third and outfield as well. The transition to second hasn’t been easy.

    “He’s rough,” Sweet said. “I think that’s the best word. In fact, he’s in Instructional League right now. He’s rough.

    “But if you understand what kind of player he’s going to be, you can smooth that out. I think the biggest thing is he can hit. What we’re trying to do is figure out where he’ll fit best. I don’t think he’s a utility guy. He’s young enough that we’re going to have to sit down and make the decision. He’s good enough that he could play if that’s what we decide to do.”

    Frazier combined to hit .292 with 45 doubles, 16 home runs and 77 RBI at Double-A and Triple-A this year.

    –Valaika: Valaika started off terribly. He hit .161 in April and May. He then missed time with a broken hand – the result of hitting a water cooler in frustration.

    “The time off helped him,” Sweet said. “He was really struggling – big time. He had never struggled in his life. I think when he got hurt he stepped back and said: This isn’t me. When he came back, he hit and had good at-bats.”

    Valaika finished up by hitting .299 in August and September.

    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    they've really screwed up the Frazier thing. three years to think about it and they still can't do it.

    ol' princeton saw this a long while back, and at least had a plan. the Reds seem to go it month by month.
    2015, baby!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    they've really screwed up the Frazier thing. three years to think about it and they still can't do it.

    ol' princeton saw this a long while back, and at least had a plan. the Reds seem to go it month by month.
    I can't recall your plan. Was it to attempt a move to catcher?

  4. #4
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    I gotta chuckle everytime I hear a deabte on Frazier at this point. He's a starter and one who would likely have 3rd base down right now if he was just allowed to play there. Terry Reynolds and company have really flubbed up his development moving him around everywhere. And yet the fans knowing this still wanting to play him at 2nd or as a supersub, all this conjecture without even 1 report of him not being capable of holding down 3rd base. And if someone suggested it I'd have to laugh, I see no good reason why he couldnt.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  5. #5
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,059

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I gotta chuckle everytime I hear a deabte on Frazier at this point. He's a starter and one who would likely have 3rd base down right now if he was just allowed to play there. Terry Reynolds and company have really flubbed up his development moving him around everywhere. And yet the fans knowing this still wanting to play him at 2nd or as a supersub, all this conjecture without even 1 report of him not being capable of holding down 3rd base. And if someone suggested it I'd have to laugh, I see no good reason why he couldnt.
    Reynolds has even said that they know Frazier can play 3B, which is why they have gotten him time just about everywhere else.

  6. #6
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I gotta chuckle everytime I hear a deabte on Frazier at this point. He's a starter and one who would likely have 3rd base down right now if he was just allowed to play there. Terry Reynolds and company have really flubbed up his development moving him around everywhere. And yet the fans knowing this still wanting to play him at 2nd or as a supersub, all this conjecture without even 1 report of him not being capable of holding down 3rd base. And if someone suggested it I'd have to laugh, I see no good reason why he couldnt.
    I'm not convinced. I don't see enough bat to hold down LF or 1B and my take on the Reds actions is that they seem to have questions whether he has enough glove to be worthy of anywhere else on a daily basis. If Francsico converts to the OF in the offseason, then Frazier likely plays 3B at AAA in 2010. If the Reds don't re-sign Rolen (or Rolen retires) I'd guess that Frazier gets first shot. But if Rolen comes back, Frazier's bat could be pretty darn valuable in 400 ABs while moving around to back-up as many as 7 positions. People act like that is some type of horrible fate for the guy. Good teams have good players for roles like that.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-28-2009 at 05:59 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  7. #7
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm not convinced. I don't see enough bat to hold down LF or 1B and my take on the Reds actions is that they seem to have questions whether he has enough glove to be worthy of anywhere else on a daily basis. If Francsico converts to the OF in the offseason, then Frazier likely plays 3B at AAA in 2010. If the Reds don't re-sign Rolen (or Rolen retires) I'd guess that Frazier gets first shot. But if Rolen comes back, Frazier's bat could be pretty darn valuable in 400 ABs while moving around to back-up as many as 7 positions. People act like that is some type of horrible fate for the guy. Good teams have good players for roles like that.
    Why do we keep pigeon holing a 1st rounder just because the franchise does? Every other good prospect has pie in the sky futures apparently but somehow we have managed to turn this kid into a super utility guy already based on practically nothing but the poor evaluation skills of the F.O.

    For starters if a team has power at non traditional positions (2B) then he doesn't have to lug around a typical LF's bat while playing there. He just has to find a way to be productive offensively while playing good defense somewhere on the field. He brings something special to the table beyond his solid talent and that's intangibles and a lack of any major weaknesses I think he's undervalued.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  8. #8
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    they have to make some key decisions in 2010, just like when they had the crown jewels, youve got to get rid of the right guys IMO.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,231

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    The whole Frazier thing makes little sense to me.

    With Phillips on the Reds, why are they force feeding second base to Frazier?

    Only possible answer I can think of is that they feel he won't be a good third baseman or shortstop, that he may not hit enough for left field, but he could be a top offensive second baseman. But it is confusing.

  10. #10
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The whole Frazier thing makes little sense to me.

    With Phillips on the Reds, why are they force feeding second base to Frazier?

    Only possible answer I can think of is that they feel he won't be a good third baseman or shortstop, that he may not hit enough for left field, but he could be a top offensive second baseman. But it is confusing.
    Sweet says he's not a utility guy, but Frazier seems like an ideal supersub. His bat is playable anywhere (though 1B and LF may be a little over his head). At 2B, 3B and even SS he could get occassional playing time. Its not a bad thing to have a good hitter that can play a bunch of spots on the bench and keeping guys fresh with frequent rest. He could back-up 6 spots and with Bruce ability to get by in CF, he could back-up that spot as well with Bruce sliding over for a day.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,231

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sweet says he's not a utility guy, but Frazier seems like an ideal supersub. His bat is playable anywhere (though 1B and LF may be a little over his head). At 2B, 3B and even SS he could get occassional playing time. Its not a bad thing to have a good hitter that can play a bunch of spots on the bench and keeping guys fresh with frequent rest. He could back-up 6 spots and with Bruce ability to get by in CF, he could back-up that spot as well with Bruce sliding over for a day.
    Frazier had 45 doubles at two levels, 63 extra base hits altogether this year. I don't see him as a supersub, this guy should have a position.

    Yes, for a year or two he could be on the Reds' bench, but you'd expect a team to be grooming Frazier to be a regular player. Maybe they see him as a supersub initially, then eventually, when Phillips gets too expensive, as a second baseman.

  12. #12
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Frazier had 45 doubles at two levels, 63 extra base hits altogether this year. I don't see him as a supersub, this guy should have a position.

    Yes, for a year or two he could be on the Reds' bench, but you'd expect a team to be grooming Frazier to be a regular player. Maybe they see him as a supersub initially, then eventually, when Phillips gets too expensive, as a second baseman.
    Depends on his defense. As a supersub they can get the benefit of his bat without he cumulative damage that having a subpar defender at a spot day-in and day-out provides. Especially a spot like 2B (or SS or 3B).
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. #13
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Frazier had 45 doubles at two levels, 63 extra base hits altogether this year. I don't see him as a supersub, this guy should have a position.

    Yes, for a year or two he could be on the Reds' bench, but you'd expect a team to be grooming Frazier to be a regular player. Maybe they see him as a supersub initially, then eventually, when Phillips gets too expensive, as a second baseman.
    Ty Wigginton?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    If the Reds see him as a super sub we are looking at a dynasty in our future I guess.

  15. #15
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

    Frazier's got a lot of talent I think he really needs a set position and regular playing time. That's not something he'd get as a supersub.
    Most Vottomatic Player


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25