Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Reds don't need a 3B, Rolen will be here another 3-4 years.
    Please, no...it's like the last few years of Junior, only worse, because then we never had a chance of winning a World Series Title, anyway. We do over the next 3-4 years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not sure I have a comp for Francisco but Gates Brown keeps coming to mind.
    Juan Francisco = Tony Armas

Francisco is a better hitter than people realize, in my opinion. He's got good hitter's hands, knows how to put the bat on the ball and use all fields, more so than the typical big power guy. I really like what I've seen from his ABs so far in the majors.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Francisco is a better hitter than people realize, in my opinion. He's got good hitter's hands, knows how to put the bat on the ball and use all fields, more so than the typical big power guy. I really like what I've seen from his ABs so far in the majors.
    Francisco hitting has never been a question. With that said, Francisco has shown some moments at the major league level where it seems he 'gets it' as far as waiting for your pitch.

Francisco hitting has never been a question. With that said, Francisco has shown some moments at the major league level where it seems he 'gets it' as far as waiting for your pitch.
    Are you kidding me? He's been dismissed for years, inlcuding by you, based on his K/BB ratio. While folks have been penciling in Danny Dorn for the LF job in Cincy, Francisco has been exiled to the island of Prospects Without Plate Discipline.

Rare power, combined with the ability to barrel up the ball. Meanwhile the K/BB ratio has improved steadily. Hasn't been enough to get him much acceptance as a guy bound for the bigs. You seriously cannot deny that.

Are you kidding me? He's been dismissed for years, inlcuding by you, based on his K/BB ratio. While folks have been penciling in Danny Dorn for the LF job in Cincy, Francisco has been exiled to the island of Prospects Without Plate Discipline.

Rare power, combined with the ability to barrel up the ball. Meanwhile the K/BB ratio has improved steadily. Hasn't been enough to get him much acceptance as a guy bound for the bigs. You seriously cannot deny that.
    Some of us have been pro-JF. Having seen him now there are a few things that stand out and explain his numbers a bit.

As Dusty said, JF has huge plate coverage. He can hit the outside pitch. This impacts his walk numbers. He gets to pitches others can't, and hits them hard. The trade off is fewer walks but more hard hit balls.

The guy also can hit with two strikes. He stays alive well, fouls them off, and usually hits the ball. This explains his declining K rate over the years. Phillips is similar -- gets into a two strike hole often, but K rate is acceptable.

What Francisco needs to learn, like Bruce, like many other young hitters, is adjustment to the off speed stuff. Not unusual for a 22 year old. I've seen some improvement on it in the few weeks he's been with the Reds.

Last night, JF pinch hit a lineout to left field. I thought it was going to take the fielder's glove off, it was hit so hard.

From everything I've read, he has a strong desire to do well. Really rooting for this guy. Hope the Reds keep him around.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-03-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No, I am not kidding you. No one has doubted his hitting ability, but his batting ability. Everyone knows that when he puts the ball in play he can make things happen. The issue has always been the ability to find first base, or the lack of it based on his K/BB (if you are going to walk 4% of the time you need to strike out 10% of the time or less to post a solid OBP, not 20% where Francisco has been).

You seriously can't deny that if he doesn't walk more or strike out less than he has in the minors that he will severely struggle to OPS .800 because he will struggle to OBP .310.

So does anyone know who is going through arbritration after the season?
    I've heard Micah Owings might have to go through it but do you really give him a raise after the season he had or do u just let him go?

I think you look at next years lineup looking like
    1B Joey Votto-he's gonna stay there all year.Yonder isnt moving him
    3B-Scott Rolen-Juan Francisco will eventually get more starts after Rolen is gone
    LF Johnny Gomes-I think you give Yonder Alonso the shot to be Gomes out of the position during the year
    CF-Drew Stubbs/Chris Dickerson
    RF-Jay Bruce-the job is his no matter how bad he plays/Wladimir Balentien
    C-Ryan Hanigan is the backup no matter what/Drop Tatum & Miller.Don't Pick up Hernandez's option/Acquire Doumit and Duke for Valaika, Maloney, and Bray
    SS-This position is what is keeping the reds going any further in the division just like the starting pitchers/ I think the Reds sign a FA SS either Felipe Lopez or they acquire JJ Hardy or Yunel Escobar/Paul Janish will stay with the team for the bench
    2B-Brandon Phillips is the 2B next year and beyond

As you can see i didn't really put any of this in order

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

He might be a guy who over swung in the Minors to get HR's to get noticed and now may complete himself at the MLB level. God I hope so due to the fact we could use his bat.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    could frazier be alot like jeff kent? power guy playing second base who played alot of positions coming up in the minors. reds need to move BP to short and give frazier a shot when he's ready.
    Excellent comparison as that is how I view Frazier!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?