Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

Re: Rick Sweet on Francisco, Frazier and Valaika

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    they've really screwed up the Frazier thing. three years to think about it and they still can't do it.

ol' princeton saw this a long while back, and at least had a plan. the Reds seem to go it month by month.
    I can't recall your plan. Was it to attempt a move to catcher?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I gotta chuckle everytime I hear a deabte on Frazier at this point. He's a starter and one who would likely have 3rd base down right now if he was just allowed to play there. Terry Reynolds and company have really flubbed up his development moving him around everywhere. And yet the fans knowing this still wanting to play him at 2nd or as a supersub, all this conjecture without even 1 report of him not being capable of holding down 3rd base. And if someone suggested it I'd have to laugh, I see no good reason why he couldnt.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I gotta chuckle everytime I hear a deabte on Frazier at this point. He's a starter and one who would likely have 3rd base down right now if he was just allowed to play there. Terry Reynolds and company have really flubbed up his development moving him around everywhere. And yet the fans knowing this still wanting to play him at 2nd or as a supersub, all this conjecture without even 1 report of him not being capable of holding down 3rd base. And if someone suggested it I'd have to laugh, I see no good reason why he couldnt.
    Reynolds has even said that they know Frazier can play 3B, which is why they have gotten him time just about everywhere else.

I'm not convinced. I don't see enough bat to hold down LF or 1B and my take on the Reds actions is that they seem to have questions whether he has enough glove to be worthy of anywhere else on a daily basis. If Francsico converts to the OF in the offseason, then Frazier likely plays 3B at AAA in 2010. If the Reds don't re-sign Rolen (or Rolen retires) I'd guess that Frazier gets first shot. But if Rolen comes back, Frazier's bat could be pretty darn valuable in 400 ABs while moving around to back-up as many as 7 positions. People act like that is some type of horrible fate for the guy. Good teams have good players for roles like that.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-28-2009 at 05:59 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Agreed, mth. Frazier could play the Tony Phillips role, with less speed but more pop. And play it well. That, in itself, is quite valuable and something posters overlook (or choose to ignore in favor of telling everyone how important their opinion is).

In the short time I saw Frazier, I wouldn't depend on his defense at 3B. Francisco looked better.

But it was definitely a short sampling of his defensive skills.

The thing about Rick Sweet, is he's just so valuable to the franchise at AAA. I'd hate to find his replacement. It'd be a lot easier to find a Major League Manager to replace Dusty, than it would be to find a replacement for Sweet at AAA. But, because the MLB team is so young, Sweet would actually be perfect right now.

That is right, Sweet would be a great fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Agreed, mth. Frazier could play the Tony Phillips role, with less speed but more pop. And play it well. That, in itself, is quite valuable and something posters overlook (or choose to ignore in favor of telling everyone how important their opinion is).
    He very well could be valuable in that role but problem is he doesn't have the range to play 2B or SS, CF & doesn't play Catcher. Votto & Bruce shouldn't be taking off a game every week so that leaves him with about 2-3 games a week in that role at best. Which is doing him and the team a disservice, not to mention his development. And frankly the Reds management/f.o. does not inspire confidence when it comes to knowing what they have.

And yeah everyone else has an opinion and is allowed to make it known be it good or bad, you sure don't have any problem giving us your opinion in a similiar fashion. Pot meet kettle...
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm not convinced. I don't see enough bat to hold down LF or 1B and my take on the Reds actions is that they seem to have questions whether he has enough glove to be worthy of anywhere else on a daily basis. If Francsico converts to the OF in the offseason, then Frazier likely plays 3B at AAA in 2010. If the Reds don't re-sign Rolen (or Rolen retires) I'd guess that Frazier gets first shot. But if Rolen comes back, Frazier's bat could be pretty darn valuable in 400 ABs while moving around to back-up as many as 7 positions. People act like that is some type of horrible fate for the guy. Good teams have good players for roles like that.
    Why do we keep pigeon holing a 1st rounder just because the franchise does? Every other good prospect has pie in the sky futures apparently but somehow we have managed to turn this kid into a super utility guy already based on practically nothing but the poor evaluation skills of the F.O.

For starters if a team has power at non traditional positions (2B) then he doesn't have to lug around a typical LF's bat while playing there. He just has to find a way to be productive offensively while playing good defense somewhere on the field. He brings something special to the table beyond his solid talent and that's intangibles and a lack of any major weaknesses I think he's undervalued.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    That is right, Sweet would be a great fit.

Agree big time Rick Sweet should be the Skip for the Red's
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Why do we keep pigeon holing a 1st rounder just because the franchise does? Every other good prospect has pie in the sky futures apparently but somehow we have managed to turn this kid into a super utility guy already based on practically nothing but the poor evaluation skills of the F.O.

For starters if a team has power at non traditional positions (2B) then he doesn't have to lug around a typical LF's bat while playing there. He just has to find a way to be productive offensively while playing good defense somewhere on the field. He brings something special to the table beyond his solid talent and that's intangibles and a lack of any major weaknesses I think he's undervalued.
    Its not a question of pigeonholing, its a question of evaluating how he might fit best to make the Reds a good team. I just think at 1B, RF and LF the Reds need a bigger threat. Votto and Bruce provide two of those and Frazier could be the third, but I think you could get more production in LF w/o a lot of cost so why limit Frazier to LF when he has the ability to move around? You yourself said that Frazier doesn't really have the glove for 2B, SS, and CF and I agree. Playing him at those spots day in and day out would be the kind of thing that can do damage to a staff. It doesn't mean that he couldn't get the occasional start at 2B every couple weeks and an occassional start at SS in similar timing. So lets say they do that and between 2B and SS Frazier starts 25 -30 games throughout the year. In the OF, Frazier could play more. LF is probably his best spot at this point and he could probably also play RF. If Bruce could slide to CF with Frazier in RF it would give him the ability to back up all three spots out there. Lets say he could get a couple starts a week in the OF, that is another 50 - 55 games or so. Rolen is going to need fairly frequent rest at 3B. Say Frazier could play there once a week - another 25 starts or so. Throw in 10 to 15 starts a year at 1B while Votto rests and Frazier could start 100 to 110 games per year. Its not hard to see him as a guy who gets 400 ABs or so while providing a solid (but not spectacular) bat to the line-up. I personally think that may be more valuable to the team than having him play every day in LF when other players who may be available for a fairly reasonable price could be more productive out there. LF is a spot for the .900 OPS gorilla and while I like FRazier OK, I'm thinking he's more of the very solid .780 to .830 type in the major leagues. A fine player to spot in as noted above and solid depth to fill in should the team's bigger bats go on the DL. Its, frankly, the kind of player good teams have as depth and second division teams use as centerpieces. I want the Reds to be a good team.

Funny thing is, this same scenario might work with Valiaka and to a lesser extent Francisco (though no 2B or SS for him). Of the three, Francisco has the best possibility as an every day guy in LF (and is also most likley to be a total bust). I could actually see a future where Francisco plays LF against RHP, Frazier gets the RH ABs out there and both Valaika and Frazier end up playing everywhere else with Valiaka getting more of the MI time and Frazier more time in the OF.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-29-2009 at 06:17 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

How about a Frazier/Francisco platoon at third in 2011? Francisco is a switch hitter, but his splits are much better from the left side of the plate. The defense might be a little shaky at first, but it couldn't be worse than EE, and the two could combine for an all-star bat.

Francisco vs. RHP
    2009 - .345/.582/.927
    Career - .321/.509/.830

Frazier vs. LHP
    2009 - .380/.523/.903
    Career - .406/.576/.982

Of course, the team that bats Brandon Phillips cleanup against RHP can't be that creative.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 09-29-2009 at 08:55 AM.

I am pretty sure Cisco has not been a switch hitter for a year or two now. Also why accept shaky defense at third? Stick them in left if you are to platoon them anywhere.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Francisco hasn't switch hit since he came to the US.

Turn Off Ads?