Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 452

Thread: OSU best in Big 10

  1. #1
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,221

    OSU best in Big 10

    So now that we're a couple weeks into the season is there any question about who's the best team in the Big 10.IMO there isn't.The Bucks struggled against what will end up being the Pac 10 champs but even while loosing left little question about their defense.They really should have won the game but ended up barley loosing to the best out of conference opponent on any of the other Big 10 teams schedule.

    Hands down they are the team to beat.Certainly Penn St. on the road will be tough but I don't see any other team that can match up if the Bucks show up and they usually do while playing in conference.Now that we've had a good look at all of the teams here's how I see things shaping up.

    1.OSU
    2.PSU
    3.Iowa
    4.Mich.
    5.Minn
    6.Wisc.
    7.Purdue
    8.Ind.
    9.Ill.
    10.Mich. St.
    11.NW

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,569

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Does Iowa beating Penn State still keep Iowa below Penn State?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  4. #3
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,221

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Does Iowa beating Penn State still keep Iowa below Penn State?
    Surprisingly Iowa went from being not ranked to 13th(2 spots ahead of Penn St)in the AP poll.In my book though it was just a big upset.Iowa will eventually fall behind Penn St.

    It's really hard to believe that 1 little team that hasn't beat anyone from the weak Big 10 can beat another team from the weak Big 10 that hasn't beat anyone can get so much respect.What do I know though?

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,075

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Damning OSU with faint praise?

  6. #5
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,221

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Damning OSU with faint praise?
    Maybe so.

    As a fan though I'll take another Big 10 title no matter how weak the conference is along with a 5th straight BCS bowl game(a win would do wonders) especially considering that this team will return almost everybody next year.

    Eventually the Big 10 will return to the top as one of the nations strongest conferences and when they do OSU will be leading the way.As for now at least the Bucks aren't in the Big East or ACC.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,075

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Both of which, according to Sagarin, are stronger than the Big Ten.

  8. #7
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,221

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Both of which, according to Sagarin, are stronger than the Big Ten.
    ....but according to conference RPI the Big 10 is 3rd best behind the SEC and Big 12.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,075

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Thanks. I looked but could not find any other objective conference ratings. I think one of the BCS computer polls that does not start publishing until mid-October includes one, but that is obviously not available yet.

  10. #9
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,603

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Damning OSU with faint praise?
    I don't know why Ohio State should be discounted for doing their job while the rest of the conference programs flounder in mediocrity.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know why Ohio State should be discounted for doing their job while the rest of the conference programs flounder in mediocrity.
    Yeah, I'm not an OSU fan but a conference championship isn't something that comes easy, ever. If you win a championship in a BCS conference, you are doing something right. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

  12. #11
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    As has been the case in recent years, OSU is far and away the best team in the Big Ten. However we also see that they have no business being in the conversaton for a national championship and that tells us a lot about the Big Ten. OSU is a very good program, just spare me the national championship talk after they roll over the Big Ten in the next couple of months...

  13. #12
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,044

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    I'll withhold judgement till after the end of the season.

    Getting through Iowa, Penn State, and Michigan is no walk in the park nor a sure thing.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As has been the case in recent years, OSU is far and away the best team in the Big Ten. However we also see that they have no business being in the conversaton for a national championship and that tells us a lot about the Big Ten. OSU is a very good program, just spare me the national championship talk after they roll over the Big Ten in the next couple of months...
    Generally I agree with this statement. At the moment I don't believe OSU should be in the national championship conversation. However, lets say that Florida, Texas, USC, all drop a game.
    Ohio State's last three games are @ Penn St, Iowa, @ Michigan. All three of those teams could be ranked and Iowa could be ranked in the Top 10 or 15. With no other unbeatens nationally, a tough home loss on the resume and three wins against ranked opponents to end the season it would be hard to keep the Bucks out of the conversation if not the game itself.

  15. #14
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Generally I agree with this statement. At the moment I don't believe OSU should be in the national championship conversation. However, lets say that Florida, Texas, USC, all drop a game.
    Ohio State's last three games are @ Penn St, Iowa, @ Michigan. All three of those teams could be ranked and Iowa could be ranked in the Top 10 or 15. With no other unbeatens nationally, a tough home loss on the resume and three wins against ranked opponents to end the season it would be hard to keep the Bucks out of the conversation if not the game itself.
    This is what bothers me. We've been through this other years. We add up the games and it looks like OSU should be in the NC game and then OSU lays an egg. I need a break. I can't deal with it again. The Buckeyes have shown us time and time again that winning the Big Ten does not mean they are NC worthy. Under your scenario I'd put UC in the game before OSU if they had zero or one loss.

    USC was very weak when they won in Columbus. I expect the Trojans to finish strong but they were starting a FR QB and a totally revamped defense along with a bunch of new starters on offense, playing 2000 miles away from home in front of the loudest crowd I've ever seen at Ohio Stadium.

  16. #15
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,603

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This is what bothers me. We've been through this other years. We add up the games and it looks like OSU should be in the NC game and then OSU lays an egg. I need a break. I can't deal with it again. The Buckeyes have shown us time and time again that winning the Big Ten does not mean they are NC worthy. Under your scenario I'd put UC in the game before OSU if they had zero or one loss.

    USC was very weak when they won in Columbus. I expect the Trojans to finish strong but they were starting a FR QB and a totally revamped defense along with a bunch of new starters on offense, playing 2000 miles away from home in front of the loudest crowd I've ever seen at Ohio Stadium.
    I think for BCS each year has to be judged on its own merit. I hear what you are saying, but with the animal of college football, what happened in the past is irrelevant.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25