Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: OSU best in Big 10

Re: OSU best in Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think OSU is perfectly capable of beating anyone in college football this season, including Florida.

With that being said, they certainly don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Barring several collapses, they won't play for the national title, and deservedly so.

But the Gators, among others, don't exactly run the gauntlet to get to the title game... that's nothing but a myth this season. Florida might have an easier schedule than OSU, actually.
    Are you crazy? (I guess your name says it all)

LOL

But I guess saying that OSU is capable of beating is a somewhat valid claim. As we have seen in years past, any team can beat anyone on any given saturday. But I just don't know if I can defend a team that lost at home (granted it was USC) and then just assume that they will win out while the other teams will all stumble. Personally I think Boise State could play with any team in the country but unfortunately they will never get that chance in a National Championship Game.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Mark May couldn't of said it better himself.
    Damn, you're right.

I somehow channeled Mark May, and I can't stand him.

I think OSU is perfectly capable of beating anyone in college football this season, including Florida.

With that being said, they certainly don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Barring several collapses, they won't play for the national title, and deservedly so.

But the Gators, among others, don't exactly run the gauntlet to get to the title game... that's nothing but a myth this season. Florida might have an easier schedule than OSU, actually.
    So they couldn't beat a USC team that wasn't firing on all cylinders in The Horseshoe, yet they're perfectly capable of beating anyone?

This could all end up being moot if tOSU slips up and loses to Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, PSU, Iowa, or Michigan. 1 loss to any of those teams, and it's bye bye National Championship thoughts.

Florida, however, has LSU, Georgia, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Florida State and then probably the SEC Championship standing in their way.

I'd say that easily a tougher road to the NC than faces the Buckeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    So they couldn't beat a USC team that wasn't firing on all cylinders in The Horseshoe, yet they're perfectly capable of beating anyone?

This could all end up being moot if tOSU slips up and loses to Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, PSU, Iowa, or Michigan. 1 loss to any of those teams, and it's bye bye National Championship thoughts.

Florida, however, has LSU, Georgia, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Florida State and then probably the SEC Championship standing in their way.

I'd say that easily a tougher road to the NC than faces the Buckeyes.
    USC wasn't firing on all cylinders?Maybe OSU had something to do with that.While the opponents haven't been top notch back to back shutouts following the loss is impressive.

It's also just as easy to say the same for OSU considering it was only their second game of the season after loosing their starting RB and top 2 WR to the NFL draft.Not to mention the defensive losses from last year.It's very possible that the Bucks offense will improve as the season goes on every bit as much as USC's will.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 09-29-2009 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This is what bothers me. We've been through this other years. We add up the games and it looks like OSU should be in the NC game and then OSU lays an egg. I need a break. I can't deal with it again. The Buckeyes have shown us time and time again that winning the Big Ten does not mean they are NC worthy. Under your scenario I'd put UC in the game before OSU if they had zero or one loss.

USC was very weak when they won in Columbus. I expect the Trojans to finish strong but they were starting a FR QB and a totally revamped defense along with a bunch of new starters on offense, playing 2000 miles away from home in front of the loudest crowd I've ever seen at Ohio Stadium.
    Which team left on the UC schedule is a more acceptable loss than Ohio State's three point loss to USC?

And since you are so caught up in past results, how can you put a program like UC in a National Title game over a perennial powerhouse like Ohio State?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    And since you are so caught up in past results, how can you put a program like UC in a National Title game over a perennial powerhouse like Ohio State?
    I can answer this one easy. Because it isn't supposed to be based on anything but what happens this year. You'd be foolish to believe OSU deserves it more because of tradition. It probably does weigh into the decision, but it shouldn't. If UC is undefeated at the end of the year, I see no way OSU gets the nod over them. That would just cause another headache for the BCS system and another reason for everyone to get behind a playoff system.

I however believe IF it came down to UC and OSU both at one loss, you have to pick OSU because of the conference they play in right now. There is no doubt that the Big Ten is a better conference. It may be over-rated, but it is a better conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    USC wasn't firing on all cylinders?Maybe OSU had something to do with that.While the opponents haven't been top notch back to back shutouts following the loss is impressive.

On the other hand, OSU almost lost to Navy, who they should have dominated. The USC game probably isn't going to hurt too bad, but it was only the second game for USC's QB career. A true fresman in the Horseshoe. Obviously you can't prove it, but OSU probably gets beaten by a larger margin at USC or neutral site. OSU has a very good team, but not an elite team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know why Ohio State should be discounted for doing their job while the rest of the conference programs flounder in mediocrity.

Who says OSU isn't floating in mediocrity? Just because they've been to a BCS bowl for 5 straight years and constantly laying an egg in those games?

It's also just as easy to say the same for OSU considering it was only their second game of the season after loosing their starting RB and top 2 WR to the NFL draft.Not to mention the defensive losses from last year.It's very possible that the Bucks offense will improve as the season goes on every bit as much as USC's will.
    Why deflect? NFL players no longer playing for tOSU have nothing to do with their current team. Just like Mark Sanchez has nothing to do with the current USC team.

For argument's sake, assuming tOSU's D had as much to do with shutting down USC as did an inexperienced Frosh, tOSU's loss now is attributed to Wells and a couple WRs playing on Sundays?

I don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Who says OSU isn't floating in mediocrity? Just because they've been to a BCS bowl for 5 straight years and constantly laying an egg in those games?
    The Ohio State University going to BCS bowls is directly the result of winning a weak conference that thanks to the crappy BCS structure rewards the Big 11 Champ with a BCS berth.

Weak conference combined with the crappy BCS = BCS Bowls for the Bucks

Why would you think that OSU could beat a healthy Florida team? They have the same things that has proven to embarrass OSU like tremendous team speed.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    There is no doubt that the Big Ten is a better conference. It may be over-rated, but it is a better conference.
    I think it is very, very close. And that's not an endorsement of either conference.

USC wasn't firing on all cylinders?Maybe OSU had something to do with that.

OSU had nothing to do with:

1) USC starting a freshman at QB
    2) USC having 8 new starters on defense
    3) Losing their All PAC 10 center in August to injury

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Hmmm, constantly laying an egg--thumped Kansas St. and Notre Dame in consecutive years, lost to Texas in the last seconds last year, a Texas team that was arguably deserving of the NC game themselves? Florida plays a perfect half of football three years ago and the Buckeyes are mediocre, laying eggs in the BCS games. More Mark May narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Which team left on the UC schedule is a more acceptable loss than Ohio State's three point loss to USC?

That perennial powerhouse has had its chances and has blown it bigtime. OSU gets no "points" for being a perennial powerhouse. Let UC get embarrassed for a change...Can't do any worse than OSU has.

As for comparing losses we'll see. It's to early to play that game. I do know that past history tells us that running the table in the Big Ten means nothing

Turn Off Ads?