Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: OSU best in Big 10

Re: OSU best in Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    You listed two ways to recognize a biased OSU fan (in the context of the OSU-LSU championship game discussion). Having "Bucks" in their username, and referring to the team as "we" or "us".

Since you do the same thing with SEC teams, I simply enjoy the rich irony.

That goes both ways. You were the one who implied the OSU fan's arguments were somehow less valid due to bias.

Let's recap.

Discussion begins about OSU's place in the Big Ten. I chime in that they're clearly the best in the Big Ten but not one of the top two in the nation. This enrages some OSU fans who aren't satisfied with that. Unable to defend OSU, they bring UT-Knoxville into the discussion. I'm still puzzled as to what UTK has to do with the discussion at hand.

I am amazed that there are folks who will put in writing that they thought that OSU gave LSU a good game. Then I figured out why. These were huge OSU fans because they used terms like Us, we and Bucks in their user name. I know people from all over the country and I've never had anyone but a die hard OSU fan say that the LSU game was a good game.

Then someone gets the novel idea of the "well, you are too" comeback and goes and cherrypicks a comment I made that is not in the context of this discussion nor is it about LSU or OSU; in fact it is in a completely other thread, about a team that has nothing to do with OSU, and tries to spin it as bias.

By your way of thinking I guess OSU fans are biased towards Michigan because they're a Big Ten team. I will tell you this: my Michigan friends are sure OSU got blown out by LSU. Trust me on that one.

I can tell you're not on the debate team at OU...

Let me make a few more comments to add my body of work as an SEC shrill:

Although I do think the SEC is the #1 football conference in college football, I think they're overrated. I think Ole Miss had no business being ranked #4 in the country and I think Georgia is currently overranked.

I don't think the gap between the #1 and #2 conference is very big. I think the PAC 10 is a close 2nd and may prove to be #1 by the end of the year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I've been an OSU fan for over 40 years. Die hard.

And LSU did kick our butts BIG TIME in that game. It wasn't pretty.
    No GAC. You heard him. It's a fact

Thanks for your candor. I greatly respect that in a person

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Offensively Ohio State was much more productive. They averaged 8.0 yards per pass and 4.8 yards per rush, while LSU only averaged 6.4 yards per pass and 3.1 yards per rush. The main difference in the game was fluke penalties/turnovers...

When you score 31 unanswered points you don't have to put up bigger yardage numbers.

As a long suffering Bengal fan I can't tell you how many times my team won the yardage battle but lost the game. I would sure look like a putz if I came back and said "but look at our avg yards per pass/rush."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    When you score 31 unanswered points you don't have to put up bigger yardage numbers.

As a long suffering Bengal fan I can't tell you how many times my team won the yardage battle but lost the game. I would sure look like a putz if I came back and said "but look at our avg yards per pass/rush."
    I don't think his point was that OSU was the better team just because they out gained LSU.But the fact that did happen should give the impression that LSU wasn't really that much of a better team.When you turn the ball over 3 times and shot yourself in the foot 7 times for 83 yards worth of penalties your doing a pretty good job of beating yourself.Not to mention that some of those penalties came at the worse possible times and were very stupid.I'm not trying to say that it was a good game at all just that the teams were more evenly matched then they were made out to be after the score went final.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I don't think his point was that OSU was the better team just because they out gained LSU.But the fact that did happen should give the impression that LSU wasn't really that much of a better team.When you turn the ball over 3 times and shot yourself in the foot 7 times for 83 yards worth of penalties your doing a pretty good job of beating yourself.Not to mention that some of those penalties came at the worse possible times and were very stupid.I'm not trying to say that it was a good game at all just that the teams were more evenly matched then they were made out to be after the score went final.
    Yeah I get that. His point was that since OSU outgained LSU in yardage it should not be considered a blowout. My point is that you can't go soley by yardage. If you score 31 unanswered pts, go ahead by 3 TDs and you're getting short fields due to turnovers and such, who cares what the yardage totals look like?

The main difference in the game was fluke penalties/turnovers...
    Well, when you turn the ball over at midfield the other team can only go as far as the endzone. Danza Out.

Offensively Ohio State was much more productive. They averaged 8.0 yards per pass and 4.8 yards per rush, while LSU only averaged 6.4 yards per pass and 3.1 yards per rush. The main difference in the game was fluke penalties/turnovers...
    If only yards per play determined winners and losers. I bet OSU won the kickoff return yardage stat as well.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Since you are hung up on my User name. Maybe it is time for a history lesson of "Loganbuck"

The name came from an hunting website that was run by ODNR about 10 years ago. The site is now gone. My original name was LOGANBUCKSTALKER for Logan County, and Buck Stalker explains itself. Most people that replied to me referred to me as Loganbuck. I use that name on most boards I post on or have to register for. The fact that I am a Buckeye fan has nothing to do with the name.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If only yards per play determined winners and losers. I bet OSU won the kickoff return yardage stat as well.
    So it was a blowout?

Yeah I get that. His point was that since OSU outgained LSU in yardage it should not be considered a blowout. My point is that you can't go soley by yardage. If you score 31 unanswered pts, go ahead by 3 TDs and you're getting short fields due to turnovers and such, who cares what the yardage totals look like?
    So it was a blowout?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I've been an OSU fan for over 40 years. Die hard.

And LSU did kick our butts BIG TIME in that game. It wasn't pretty.
    We were watching different games. They certainly weren't kicking our butts passing the ball. Or running the ball. And they had no answer for Chris Wells; he had 146 yards rushing on 20 carries. So give LSU credit for our penalties I guess...

Attack Cat!

Let's recap.
    It's not really as complex as you make it out to be. You claim the OSU fans are biased, but you bring your own biases as an SEC fan. I think I took your comments, and understood them, in perfect context. /shrug

I suspect you know bitter, bitter Michigan fans, because most (well, many) OSU and Michigan fans I know root for the other Big Ten teams in bowls. Sometimes even for their rivals. Some even (gasp) disagree with you about the LSU-OSU game.

My days as a student at OU are long past and I was not on the debate team, but I can equally tell that you at least really, really wanted to be on the debate team in your college days. Though if you had actually been on the team I suspect you would recognize that "everyone I know agrees with me, the other guys must be biased" is not a real strong argument. You also probably wouldn't be using ad hominem attacks
    Last edited by OUReds; 10-01-2009 at 11:58 PM.

So it was a blowout?
    Not quite. By my definition, a blowout is the spread +14 or 21, whichever comes 1st. Here's my issue with OSU fans viewing this as a close game -- it is unbecoming. It is an attitude similar to that held by fans of unsuccessful programs. It is akin to UK fans being happy that Florida only outscored them 10-7 over the last 3 quarters last week. So no, it wasn't a blowout, but let's not delude ourselves by thinking it was close or that OSU was in it til the end.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Not quite. By my definition, a blowout is the spread +14 or 21, whichever comes 1st. Here's my issue with OSU fans viewing this as a close game -- it is unbecoming. It is an attitude similar to that held by fans of unsuccessful programs. It is akin to UK fans being happy that Florida only outscored them 10-7 over the last 3 quarters last week. So no, it wasn't a blowout, but let's not delude ourselves by thinking it was close or that OSU was in it til the end.
    No one said that either. The point is it is constantly drubbed into Ohio State that they got blown out. The point is without a couple penalties, and that game is completely different. Too argue against that point shows bias as well.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

We were watching different games. They certainly weren't kicking our butts passing the ball. Or running the ball. And they had no answer for Chris Wells; he had 146 yards rushing on 20 carries. So give LSU credit for our penalties I guess...
    They had no answer for Beanie Wells? Yes, Beanie got 65 of those 146 yards on the fourth play of the game on that TD run. A lot like when Ginn, a year earlier, got OSU off to a quick start vs Florida. He had 119 yds on 10 carries in the first half, and 27 yds on 10 carries in the 2nd half.

Now that is not a criticism of Beanie. I love Beanie. Not his fault when the opposition scores 31 unanswered points, and your running game becomes mote. Once Ohio State fell behind by three touchdowns early in the third quarter, the Buckeyes couldn't use Wells much to get them back into the game.

LSU's "answer" to Beanie Wells was being up by 3 TDs and forcing OSU to rely on Boeckman's arm.

And no doubt OSU won the 1st quarter, while LSU looked dysfunctional. But the 2nd and 3rd quarters were all LSU, and OSU was shaken big time. When were they in the game after that?

Penalties are penalties my friend. And they are the fault of the team committing them. You hit a player out of bounds, grab a face mask, rough the punter, you're gonna get penalized. And if the opposition is able to capitalize on it, then so be it. That's what good teams do.

IMO, the 2nd quarter is where OSU lost this game, and any poise (and momentum) they had. Was it an issue of making adjustments, where OSU didn't? I won't argue with that. But the fact is - LSU somehow regrouped, got woke up, whatever, and went on the attack. And it comes down to the tale of the two QBs.....

LSU QB Matt Flynn's total weren't outstanding (19/27 for 174 yds). But he made the plays, and several key throws, when he had to. Overall, even when he made mistakes, he kept his composure and managed the game well. In the 2nd quarter he went 11-15/118 yds and 2 TDs.

Todd Boeckman, when LSU turned the heat up on him - and I'm referring to Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson and Kirston Pittman, who had their way against Ohio State's offensive line - pressured Boeckman relentlessly, forcing him to lose any composure as he was forced to hurry many of his throws. And I think that INT in the 2nd quarter had a HUGE effect on him. On drives in the 4th quarter he lost a fumble and threw an INT. Both because of LSU pressure.

LSU had a 31-10 lead until about one minute left in the 3rd quarter when OSU capitalized on an INT and scored, making it 31-17 going into the 4th.

Both teams scored garbage TDs in the final two minutes. The game wasn't as close as the score may try to indicate.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-02-2009 at 07:10 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?