Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 452

Thread: OSU best in Big 10

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    When the system you use for the National Championship game is flawed, you'll have flawed results. OSU might not have passed the test of your eyes for the championship game in the past, but they certainly deserved the chance to play when the system that decides the game says they do. Its not OSU's fault or the fans, its the system.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,139

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    I think the Big10+1 is down even farther than most realize, but I think this year is the bottom and they will be bouncing back up.

    Neither LSU nor OSU "deserved" to be in that title game, but it's how the system is set up right now. There were several OSU teams in the late 90's that would have fared very well with anyone in the nation and never got the shot due to a single loss along the way.

    [dream sequence]
    I'd love to see some teams from the south and the west have to come into the mid-west during Dec/Jan to win a game ala the San Diego Chargers vs. the Bengals in the freezer bowl. All the big Big10 non-conference games are early in and relatively mild weather. The Big10, Big East, etc. teams **have** to account for inclement mid-west weather that the Southern, Pac10, and Texas/Arz schools seem to be able to pass on. It'd be nice if that disadvantage could be an advantage from time to time.
    [/dream sequence]

    The SEC seem invincible right now, but so did Mia(FL), FSU, etc. once upon a time. Enjoy it, it's fleeting. I worry about OSU, they have been on a nice 15 year run ... that's usually about all you can expect out of a program before they his some down times.

    GL

  4. #18
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,541

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    [dream sequence]
    I'd love to see some teams from the south and the west have to come into the mid-west during Dec/Jan to win a game ala the San Diego Chargers vs. the Bengals in the freezer bowl. All the big Big10 non-conference games are early in and relatively mild weather. The Big10, Big East, etc. teams **have** to account for inclement mid-west weather that the Southern, Pac10, and Texas/Arz schools seem to be able to pass on. It'd be nice if that disadvantage could be an advantage from time to time.
    [/dream sequence]

    That's mainly because they have to play their conference games too and by some strange coincidence, all their conference games are in the same geographical area they are. Who knew?

    Now I do remember when Miami and I believe Florida State would play at Notre Dame later in the season. Of course they were all independents at that time so that was a big reason why they were able to make those matchups.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  5. #19
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As has been the case in recent years, OSU is far and away the best team in the Big Ten. However we also see that they have no business being in the conversaton for a national championship and that tells us a lot about the Big Ten. OSU is a very good program, just spare me the national championship talk after they roll over the Big Ten in the next couple of months...
    I couldn't agree more.

    Winning a weak BCS conference is just that. tOSU should count their blessings that the rest of the conference underperforms something awful.

    Iowa beating PSU tells me all I need to know about overrated PSU, as well as the sorry Big 11.

    Lately, the Big 11 is a 2 horse race, tOSU and PSU. I've always though PSU is one of, if not the most, overrated teams in all of college football, so that leaves tOSU to basically not screw up wrapping up the Big 11 crown.

  6. #20
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    If OSU wins out and finishes the regular at 1 or 2 then they deserve to play for the National Championship.The truth is that they are in fact at a disadvantage because they play in a weak conference.It's not like the Big 10 has been fooling people the last few years.The perception has been that the Bucks have in years past have had an easy road to their good records and maybe so.The thing is that all of the same people in the media that criticize still have thought enough of them to vote the Bucks 1 or 2.I guess that if they win out this year and finish at 1 or 2 they will just be fooling the system and all the people involved in the process.I don't buy that one bit.

    For the record I don't think they win out this year but if they do I believe they will play for another National Championship.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

    Winning a weak BCS conference is just that. tOSU should count their blessings that the rest of the conference underperforms something awful.

    Iowa beating PSU tells me all I need to know about overrated PSU, as well as the sorry Big 11.

    Lately, the Big 11 is a 2 horse race, tOSU and PSU. I've always though PSU is one of, if not the most, overrated teams in all of college football, so that leaves tOSU to basically not screw up wrapping up the Big 11 crown.
    Once again I'm only playing Devil's advocate here as I don't believe at this moment OSU is deserving of being in the national title picture.

    But whether or not you feel the conference is overrated I think you have to consider OSU if they win convincingly on three consecutive weekends against the Top 3 teams in their conference. We'll have to see how it plays out but there is a chance that OSU's finish could be something like:
    W @ #20 PSU
    W H #10 Iowa
    W @ #20 Michigan

    No one else is going to have that type of finish based on what I looked at. Now they would have to leave no doubt in all of those games, something I'm not sure they can do at this point, but if they do they would look just as good if not better than any other one loss team.

  8. #22
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,644

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Neither LSU nor OSU "deserved" to be in that title game, but it's how the system is set up right now.
    I don't see how you can blame the system for what happened that seasoned, it just came down to all of the teams ahead of OSU losing to teams they had no business losing to. One top 5 team after another, during the last 3 or so weeks of that season, dropped games against mediocre competition, while the Buckeyes continued to beat the teams they should have. How can you say any of those teams deserved in over either LSU or OSU?

    Just because we think one team is better than another, isn't enough to put a team in the championship game. You have to take care of business on the field during your season and earn it.

  9. #23
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,690

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

    Winning a weak BCS conference is just that. tOSU should count their blessings that the rest of the conference underperforms something awful.

    Iowa beating PSU tells me all I need to know about overrated PSU, as well as the sorry Big 11.

    Lately, the Big 11 is a 2 horse race, tOSU and PSU. I've always though PSU is one of, if not the most, overrated teams in all of college football, so that leaves tOSU to basically not screw up wrapping up the Big 11 crown.
    Mark May couldn't of said it better himself.

  10. #24
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,623

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Once again I'm only playing Devil's advocate here as I don't believe at this moment OSU is deserving of being in the national title picture.

    But whether or not you feel the conference is overrated I think you have to consider OSU if they win convincingly on three consecutive weekends against the Top 3 teams in their conference. We'll have to see how it plays out but there is a chance that OSU's finish could be something like:
    W @ #20 PSU
    W H #10 Iowa
    W @ #20 Michigan

    No one else is going to have that type of finish based on what I looked at. Now they would have to leave no doubt in all of those games, something I'm not sure they can do at this point, but if they do they would look just as good if not better than any other one loss team.
    Well the winner of the SEC championship game will have a tougher road. It could be Florida vs Alabama, a 1 vs 2 nationally.

    OSU has had similar finishes to the one you show above only to find out that they were pretenders. How many times do we need to learn that lesson?

    Recent history shows us that OSU looks better than they really are after beating up on Big Ten foes. For that reason, I wouldn't give them the love if I'm a BCS "voter".

  11. #25
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Well the winner of the SEC championship game will have a tougher road. It could be Florida vs Alabama, a 1 vs 2 nationally.

    OSU has had similar finishes to the one you show above only to find out that they were pretenders. How many times do we need to learn that lesson?

    Recent history shows us that OSU looks better than they really are after beating up on Big Ten foes. For that reason, I wouldn't give them the love if I'm a BCS "voter".
    I would imagine that if you had a vote and based any decision you made on history less recent then the 2009 football season it would be frowned upon.I guess you could do it but I just wouldn't admit to it.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Well the winner of the SEC championship game will have a tougher road. It could be Florida vs Alabama, a 1 vs 2 nationally.

    OSU has had similar finishes to the one you show above only to find out that they were pretenders. How many times do we need to learn that lesson?

    Recent history shows us that OSU looks better than they really are after beating up on Big Ten foes. For that reason, I wouldn't give them the love if I'm a BCS "voter".
    Assuming its Florida vs. Bama for the SEC then Florida would finish with:

    H Florida International
    H Florida State
    vs. #2-4 Alabama

    Alabama would finish

    H Chatanooga
    @ #20-NR Auburn
    vs. #1 Florida

    Depending on Auburn's season Alabama would have a tough back to back as does Florida depending on how Florida State looks, but that's a big if right now. I think that obviously the winner of this game should get a national championship spot even if they both have a loss coming into the game, but those last three games are not harder than the stretch the OSU potentially faces.

  13. #27
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Just for fun lets assume that OSU runs the table and that no one ranked below them does the same and jumps the Bucks.They have 7 spots to move up to get to #2.

    3 of the teams ahead of them are SEC teams so imo you eliminate 2 of those teams and assume that 1 of them will be #1 or #2 at the end of the season.That leaves 5 spots the Bucks have to jump.I hate to say it but Boise State will fall behind OSU regardless of what they do the rest of the way.So that leaves 4 spots.I could see Ohio State jumping VT as well but feel they are likely to loose again.That leaves 3 spots.Does anyone see USC winning out?I really don't.So that's 2 spots.Now here is where it gets tough.Texas and Oklahoma play each other and I really feel that Texas will win that game.It actually would work out better for OSU that way because it would eliminate anther team.If Texas losses they would at that point in the season stay ahead of the Bucks so not only do I think Texas win I really hope they do.After that I think Texas will eventually stumble but the timing has to be just right for OSU to pass them up.When Texas does loose Ohio State will have to be no more then 3 or 4 spots behind them or else Texas will remain the higher ranked team.It would take another Texas loss to get OSU in and while it could happen I wouldn't bet on it.So if you hoping the Bucks can get to another NC game your certainly rooting for the Longhorns to go down very late in the season or they loose more then once.

    While all of this could end up playing out many different ways it's hard to deny that OSU is at least in the conversation.




    1 Florida 4-0
    2 Texas 4-0
    3 Alabama 4-0
    4 LSU 4-0
    5 Boise State 4-0
    6 Virginia Tech 3-1
    7 USC 3-1
    8 Oklahoma 2-1
    9 Ohio State 3-1
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 09-28-2009 at 11:21 PM.

  14. #28
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,644

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Recent history shows us that OSU looks better than they really are after beating up on Big Ten foes. For that reason, I wouldn't give them the love if I'm a BCS "voter".
    My guess is that you wouldn't give them "love" in any scenario whatsoever.

  15. #29
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,395

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Well the winner of the SEC championship game will have a tougher road. It could be Florida vs Alabama, a 1 vs 2 nationally.

    OSU has had similar finishes to the one you show above only to find out that they were pretenders. How many times do we need to learn that lesson?

    Recent history shows us that OSU looks better than they really are after beating up on Big Ten foes. For that reason, I wouldn't give them the love if I'm a BCS "voter".

  16. #30
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,395

    Re: OSU best in Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Well the winner of the SEC championship game will have a tougher road. It could be Florida vs Alabama, a 1 vs 2 nationally.

    OSU has had similar finishes to the one you show above only to find out that they were pretenders. How many times do we need to learn that lesson?

    Recent history shows us that OSU looks better than they really are after beating up on Big Ten foes. For that reason, I wouldn't give them the love if I'm a BCS "voter".
    I think OSU is perfectly capable of beating anyone in college football this season, including Florida.

    With that being said, they certainly don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Barring several collapses, they won't play for the national title, and deservedly so.

    But the Gators, among others, don't exactly run the gauntlet to get to the title game... that's nothing but a myth this season. Florida might have an easier schedule than OSU, actually.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25