Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: OSU best in Big 10

Re: OSU best in Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Be sarcastic all you want but he makes a good point where KSU and ND are concerned
    No he doesn't.
    Kansas State was the Big 12 Champion. They were 11-2 (with the OSU loss that makes 3, but we'll say 4 because that makes his case better). Coming into the game and had just beat #1 Oklahoma 35-7 the game before they played the Buckeyes.
    Notre Dame was 9-2 coming into the game with their only losses being an OT loss by 3 to Michigan State and the 3 point "Bush Push" loss to USC. They were 6 points from being undefeated. That was the best Notre Dame team in recent memory and deserved to be in a BCS game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Be sarcastic all you want but he makes a good point where KSU and ND are concerned
    I'm being sarcastic because it's the same basic argument that continuously come from the anti-OSU fans. Downplay their opponent whenever they win. When they lose, refer to the two NC title game losses and how they didn't belong and will never belong again because the Big 10 is weak.
    Last edited by jimbo; 09-29-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I'm being sarcastic because it's the same basic argument that continuously come from the anti-OSU fans. Downplay their opponent whenever they win. When they lose, refer to the two NC title game losses and how they didn't belong and will never belong again because the Big 10 is weak.

I wouldn't get all worked up over it. Its not just people who are against OSU, it is all fans in general. When the team they don't like wins, they can name plenty of reasons why it wasn't as good of a win as it seems. In fact, I know a few OSU fans who do the same to other teams. Trust me, OSU isn't the only team with this happening. As long as there are sports fans, there will be downplaying of other team's success.

This whole subject is kinda like beating a dead horse. There is no tangible way to prove or disprove these thoughts. I can throw all the proof out there of one thing and you'll have proof of the opposite. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. A playoff system would cure some of this, but not all of it.

Where did I say OSU fans influenced the process? Maybe some did but the folks I argue with here on RZ have no such power. That I'm sure of.

You underestimate the RedsZone 10.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

OSU stinks>truth<OSU is great

Pay attention to the open sky

So who on here decided to suspend Kurt Coleman?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    So they couldn't beat a USC team that wasn't firing on all cylinders in The Horseshoe, yet they're perfectly capable of beating anyone?

This could all end up being moot if tOSU slips up and loses to Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, PSU, Iowa, or Michigan. 1 loss to any of those teams, and it's bye bye National Championship thoughts.

Florida, however, has LSU, Georgia, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Florida State and then probably the SEC Championship standing in their way.

I'd say that easily a tougher road to the NC than faces the Buckeyes.
    I didn't say OSU WOULD beat anyone, I said they could. It's a very underwhelming year in college football, and OSU has a great defense. If the offense figures it out, look out. If not, they're right where they belong.

And I'm sorry, but Florida's schedule sucks. LSU isn't anywhere NEAR a top 5 team, Georgia is mediocre, Florida State isn't any good, let alone S.C. or Vandy. The SEC title game is clearly a test, and a road game at LSU is nothing to sneeze at, but after that, easy going.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Who says OSU isn't floating in mediocrity? Just because they've been to a BCS bowl for 5 straight years and constantly laying an egg in those games?
    Comments like these are unbelievable. They are not "floating in mediocrity." And what games have they laid an egg in? The Florida game, and the USC game last year. THAT'S IT! What other game did they choke? LSU was clearly a better team and the only reason OSU was in that game is because the rest of the country CHOKED. Texas was a tight loss, USC this year was a tight loss, Penn State was a tight loss. They're not getting smoked off the field.

There are three teams right now that are clearly the best in college football: Florida, Bama, and Texas. Personally, I think OSU could beat any of them on a neutral site.

Everyone touts Texas as this great program so far ahead of OSU, did anyone actually WATCH that Fiesta Bowl last year? It's just absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Beating Kansas State (a 4-loss team), Notre Dame (extremely overrated and a team who shouldn't have been there anyway), and miami (needing a -3 TO margin, a VERY questionable call, and a should-be heisman winner tearing up his knee).
    You conveniently fail to point out that that should-be Heisman winner was a complete non-factor in that game before getting hurt. He played the majority of the game, and the Buckeyes locked him down. That injury had nothing to do with the final outcome.

I have no problem with OSU getting a BCS bid. They are clearly the best Big Ten team and should represent the Big Ten in the BCS. My argument is about the NC game
    I don't think anyone is drinking Kool Aid. Well, some maybe, but not me .

I'm aware of this team's flaws, and I've been very critical of them at times. If they're sitting there with a one loss team like Bama or Florida, should they get the benefit of the doubt? Absolutely not.

All I'm saying is, and what many are saying, is that there isn't this tremendously wipe gap between OSU and the others.

It's a myth as far as I'm concerned.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Where did I say OSU fans influenced the process? Maybe some did but the folks I argue with here on RZ have no such power. That I'm sure of.
    OSu fans pump up their resume to get into the NC game....then the OSU fans do not learn from their mistakes and start the process all over again.
    It appears to me that you are saying that OSU fans hype their team, which somehow helps them get into the NC game. Might not be what you meant, but that is what you typed.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    No he doesn't.
    Kansas State was the Big 12 Champion. They were 11-2 (with the OSU loss that makes 3, but we'll say 4 because that makes his case better). Coming into the game and had just beat #1 Oklahoma 35-7 the game before they played the Buckeyes.
    Notre Dame was 9-2 coming into the game with their only losses being an OT loss by 3 to Michigan State and the 3 point "Bush Push" loss to USC. They were 6 points from being undefeated. That was the best Notre Dame team in recent memory and deserved to be in a BCS game.
    And ND, with offensive Super Genius Charlie Weiss and the super duper Quinn to Smardzija connection, were gonna wipe up the Bucks with Tressel's sweater vest. I have a panoramic picture hanging on my wall telling a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Why deflect? NFL players no longer playing for tOSU have nothing to do with their current team. Just like Mark Sanchez has nothing to do with the current USC team.

For argument's sake, assuming tOSU's D had as much to do with shutting down USC as did an inexperienced Frosh, tOSU's loss now is attributed to Wells and a couple WRs playing on Sundays?

I don't buy it.

That's not at all what I was saying.My point was that USC had the same starters on the field for the entire game as they will for the rest of the season.How is it that they weren't firing on cylinders?Teams like USC and OSU have do deal with the same problem of loosing starter early to the NFL draft every year.Sometimes they are replaced with Freshman.Why is it ok to claim that some of the problems that USC had in the game was because of that, but it makes no sense if you try to say the same thing for OSU.

Hey, they won the game.I'm not saying anything other then that it shouldn't be made out that USC should have won by more and that OSU isn't even as good as what they showed on that day because the Trojans had some kind of disadvantage.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 09-29-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It appears to me that you are saying that OSU fans hype their team, which somehow helps them get into the NC game. Might not be what you meant, but that is what you typed.
    I'll clear it up for you. Yes, OSU fans over hype their team but no they do not pull any special strings to get the Bucks into the NC game. It's the flawed BCS system that does that

I'll clear it up for you. Yes, OSU fans over hype their team but no they do not pull any special strings to get the Bucks into the NC game. It's the flawed BCS system that does that
    That would be the same flawed system that has kept some of the best OSU teams out of the NC game when they were one of the teams that had an upset along the way. The year they beat Jake the Snake and ASU in the Rose Bowl and the year they beat ND were NC caliber teams and they didn't get the chance because of the flawed BCS system.

Don't worry, our Congresspeople are gonna get this figured out one day.

Turn Off Ads?