Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flu Shot: Are you getting one?

Flu Shot: Are you getting one?

After not having a flu shot for many years (10-15 years?), I was persuaded a couple of years ago to do it. My employer has them come to our workplace to do them cheap, and a coworker was on the way to do it and encouraged me to join him.

Then, last winter, another friend of mine swore he'd never get one, because doing it year-in and year-out for many years can be hazardous. (I won't get into the arguments, but you can Google "flu shot dangers" if you're interested.)

Despite not having the shot for years, I have not had the flu for at least a decade, if not longer. On the other hand, it's hard to not get caught up in the flu "hype" (for lack of a milder word) that we hear from the media.

So, what have you done in the past? What are you going to do this year? Flu shot or no?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Flu Shot: Are you getting one?

My family has gotten them at the same time for the last 3 years and I imagine we'll do that again this year. There's talk our local school districts here will offer the H1N1 vaccination at school.

I've had a flu shot twice and gotten the flu both years. I know its probably more bad luck than anything, but I just don't do them anymore. I definately wouldn't tell anyone not to get them though, especially if you are a high risk or even come in contact with someone who is a high risk on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    After not having a flu shot for many years (10-15 years?), I was persuaded a couple of years ago to do it. My employer has them come to our workplace to do them cheap, and a coworker was on the way to do it and encouraged me to join him.

Then, last winter, another friend of mine swore he'd never get one, because doing it year-in and year-out for many years can be hazardous. (I won't get into the arguments, but you can Google "flu shot dangers" if you're interested.)

Despite not having the shot for years, I have not had the flu for at least a decade, if not longer. On the other hand, it's hard to not get caught up in the flu "hype" (for lack of a milder word) that we hear from the media.

So, what have you done in the past? What are you going to do this year? Flu shot or no?

I've always had them offered for free both by my old employer and new, so it's a no brainer for me. My wife always laughed at me, than she got the flu last February and didn't feel "right" for about a month.

She'll be elbowing senior citizens out of the way to get hers this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Heck no. There's no way i'm getting a flu shot. And it's a pain to decline the free flu shot at my workplace. They push it big-time.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I've had a flu shot twice and gotten the flu both years. I know its probably more bad luck than anything, but I just don't do them anymore. I definately wouldn't tell anyone not to get them though, especially if you are a high risk or even come in contact with someone who is a high risk on a regular basis.
    I never had the flu in my life until I got my first flu shot about 5-6 years ago. Pass.

Nope. I'll leave that for people who need one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I've started getting them at the recommendation of my doctor since I have asthma. I have a friend who administers them through her company (that's what they do), so we pay through them. In fact, it reminded me to call her to bring home the bills so I can submit them to my insurance. I'll probably get the H1N1 when it's available too, again since I have asthma.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I started getting it several years ago when I worked at a doctor's office. I don't work there any longer but my current employer offers them free of charge if we're with our company's health plan so I still get one. I've been fortunate that I haven't had the flu for a while now and hopefully that keeps up this year. I was sick a LOT during college and for the first few years after I graduated so the shot seems to be helping me stay healthier through the winter. Ours are scheduled for the first week of November and I'll be there first thing that morning.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

From what I understand, the experts don't even know if the flu strain you get vaccinated against is even going to be a problem -- they're just guessing what the "big one" is gonig to be. If it turns out some other strain starts getting passed around (or a mutation of the strain you were vaccinated for), your flu shot ends up being all for naught.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Years ago I had pneumonia so it is suggested that I get a flu shot every year. My youngest son has pretty bad asthma, also recommended that he gets flu shots. My wife is a elementary school teacher, flu shots go with the territory. My oldest will be getting one because misery loves company.

We will be getting all the shots.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    From what I understand, the experts don't even know if the flu strain you get vaccinated against is even going to be a problem -- they're just guessing what the "big one" is gonig to be. If it turns out some other strain starts getting passed around (or a mutation of the strain you were vaccinated for), your flu shot ends up being all for naught.
    This is true every year. The research about what to inoculate for is based on what is going on in the southern hemisphere, and known flu conditions. They get it right more times than not.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I have MS so the flu shot is a tough choice. On one hand, if I get it and I develop even a mild case of the flu from it, I can have a relapse. If I don't get the shot and I get the flu, well, relapse here we come. So I have tended to not get the shot and have doctor's orders to stay away from live virus shots and flu mist.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I've only gotten the shot once about 20 years ago (worked with some nurses) and got the flu and was off work for over a week. So it's no for me.

BTW, someone here at my work sent a email with this question as well...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I have MS so the flu shot is a tough choice. On one hand, if I get it and I develop even a mild case of the flu from it, I can have a relapse. If I don't get the shot and I get the flu, well, relapse here we come. So I have tended to not get the shot and have doctor's orders to stay away from live virus shots and flu mist.

Sorry to hear about that. I certainly feel for you. My Mom also has MS. I'll certainly have to be careful around her this flu season. I'll be praying for your good health as well.

I've always heard of people getting the flu after getting the shot, although it's probably not the cause, I still don't want anything to do with it. My wife got the flu right after a shot a few years ago... then again she gets one every year and has only got it once, so who knows?

Turn Off Ads?