Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flu Shot: Are you getting one?

Re: Flu Shot: Are you getting one?

I have received the normal flu shot and the H1N1 shot. I have a very weak immune system and was told that if I contracted the H1N1 it could be fatal, so that made the decision easy.

There have been 56 deaths so far in Illinois, where I'm from. Most of those people either had asthma or an immune disorder. I have both so I'm not taking any chances.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    GAC how old are you? My mother who is a nurse, says that the doctors say there was a flu in the late fifties/early sixties that was similar enough, that some people have partial immunity to H1N1. My wife is a teacher and brought the plague into our house, symptoms starting on a Monday. We had been around my parents on Sunday. My mother had been vaccinated already but my father had not been. He has had the same symptoms you describe, but never really "sick".

I am going on my fourth week of coughing and wheezing from my bout with H1N1.
    I'm 53..... but tell anyone. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I got 'em both and am very happy about it. I've been getting the flu shot for years and have never gotten sick from it--my daughter got the flu when she was about a year old and was sick for about a week--I'd rather my kids get the vaccine than the virus any day.
    Where we gonna go?

This is why I'll pass on these kinds of things:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEN5KGwNGeo

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    This is why I'll pass on these kinds of things:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEN5KGwNGeo
    Honestly, it's always a good idea to do your own research on health related matters than to be influenced by a case of poor journalism. A simple Google search on this subject will reveal that the collective opinion of neurologists and dystonia experts across the country is that this is not dystonia, but rather a psychogenic movement disorder based on the fact that many of her symptoms aren't even found with dystonia. What's going on with this girl is awful, but it's been incorrectly attributed to the flu vaccine.

From the Dystonia Medical Research Facility:

There have been continuing inquiries and comments about the Maryland woman who reports developing dystonia as a result of getting a flu shot. The DMRF is not aware of any information or research showing that the seasonal flu vaccine causes dystonia.

Because of the concern of individuals with dystonia as to whether or not to get a flu shot because of this reported case, we have sought the opinion of dystonia experts on this case. Based on the footage that has been shared with the public, it is their unanimous consensus that this case does not appear to be dystonia.
    Since there has never been a validated case of dystonia resulting from a flu shot, the experts polled believe this case should not deter anyone from getting a flu shot. As with any medical procedure or treatment option, the DMRF encourages you to discuss the risks and benefits of the getting the flu vaccine with your doctor.
    http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/p...accine/569.php

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Honestly, it's always a good idea to do your own research on health related matters than to be influenced by a case of poor journalism. A simple Google search on this subject will reveal that the collective opinion of neurologists and dystonia experts across the country is that this is not dystonia, but rather a psychogenic movement disorder based on the fact that many of her symptoms aren't even found with dystonia. What's going on with this girl is awful, but it's been incorrectly attributed to the flu vaccine.

From the Dystonia Medical Research Facility:

http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/p...accine/569.php

And at the same time, some people believe that "medical professionals" aren't always as knowledgable and trustworthy as they should be either. Dystonia has never been caused by a vaccine? Fine. But something in the vaccine obviously triggered something in her body that created this problem. My niece was a perfectly fine little girl until her vaccine shot at 1 year old. That vaccine shot (no matter which PART of the vaccine or what-not) gave my niece autism. Period. And the "medical professionals" are 100% confident that vaccines cannot trigger autism. OK. How can they be so sure when it's cut and dry false in this case? Ridiculous.
    Believe what you want.

The national flu scene has been quiet for weeks now.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/healt...tionalreports/

Are we out of the woods? Were all the warnings a scare tactic to move some vaccines off the shelves or perhaps to keep more people watching the news?

I'm not trying to be controversial, but it's hard not to at least wonder if the media unnecessarily gets people worked up.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I've never gotten a flu shot and I've never gotten the flu. KNOCK ON WOOD

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

Are we out of the woods? Were all the warnings a scare tactic to move some vaccines off the shelves or perhaps to keep more people watching the news?

I'm not trying to be controversial, but it's hard not to at least wonder if the media unnecessarily gets people worked up.
    A woman I work with had the swine flu (confirmed) last week, turned into pnemonia, she's back at work.

I've never had a flu shot and I haven't had the flu in over 6 years

Not sure. Maybe enough people did get the vaccination to head off a larger outbreak. I can say that the school where my wife teaches nearly had to shut it's doors late last year because a large number of students had the flu. That did not happen before. On the otherhand, the school where my daughter goes (different district) never really had a problem.

The strain seemed much more mild than first announced, though. And after a while, they were treating H1N1 like any other flu.

I was supposed to get a shot a couple of times, but for one reason or another had to cancel. I have not gotten the flu so far this season. My daughter didn't get one, she's been okay.

I think the media took their cue from the WHO and the CDC. If they didn't report it, or buried the news, and it turned out to be a major outbreak, then they would've gotten blamed for not covering the story. I'm not a big defender of the media, but in this case, I think the coverage was okay.

Now, did the WHO and CDC make a bad judgement call on declaring a major pandemic? That's another question altogether. I'm not sure.
    Last edited by NJReds; 03-15-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I got both the regular flu shot and H1N1. Didn't get the flu.

I've been getting flu shots for the past 4-5 years, and haven't had the flu since.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Not sure. Maybe enough people did get the vaccination to head off a larger outbreak. I can say that the school where my wife teaches nearly had to shut it's doors late last year because a large number of students had the flu. That did not happen before. On the otherhand, the school where my daughter goes (different district) never really had a problem.

The strain seemed much more mild than first announced, though. And after a while, they were treating H1N1 like any other flu.

I was supposed to get a shot a couple of times, but for one reason or another had to cancel. I have not gotten the flu so far this season. My daughter didn't get one, she's been okay.

I think the media took their cue from the WHO and the CDC. If they didn't report it, or buried the news, and it turned out to be a major outbreak, then they would've gotten blamed for not covering the story. I'm not a big defender of the media, but in this case, I think the coverage was okay.

Now, did the WHO and CDC make a bad judgement call on declaring a major pandemic? That's another question altogether. I'm not sure.
    I may be wrong, but I think the term pandemic is used to describe the number of countries an illness travels to, not necessarily the strength of it. I think H1N1 traveled at an alarming rate, but its severity was much less than expected.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think the term pandemic is used to describe the number of countries an illness travels to, not necessarily the strength of it. I think H1N1 traveled at an alarming rate, but its severity was much less than expected.
    I think you're right about the pandemic terminology.

I think there was an anticipation that H1N1 could a) mutate into something worse, or 2) put a major drain on medical resources. Thankfully that didn't happen.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I think you're right about the pandemic terminology.

I think there was an anticipation that H1N1 could a) mutate into something worse, or 2) put a major drain on medical resources. Thankfully that didn't happen.
    Absolutely. I was walking through an airport on Saturday and I saw an H1N1 related sign on the wall. I was kind of amazed that I'd completely forgotten about H1N1.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

The media unnecessarily getting people worked up?

Why I never.

Turn Off Ads?