Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are your "breakout" players for 2010?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who are your "breakout" players for 2010?

Name any Reds minor leagues players that you think will have a "breakout" 2010 season

When I say break out, I mean big number seasons and/or moving up a level or two in the system during the season.

Here are some of mine (List is contingent on none of these players being released by the Reds, which I don't really see happening):

Position Players:

Andrew Means (Crazy Athletic Ability and Very Good Power)

Carlos Mendez (I love this guys bat. Good Glove. If he finds some power, he will have some staying power.)

Devin Mesoraco (4th pro season. He needs to show something to stay around)

Pitchers:
    Curtis Partch (Good stuff, Nice velocity. Can make some noise with some consistency)

Shea Snowden (Jamie Moyer Part Deux? Haven't really seen too much of this guy to form an opinion but he looks like a ballplayer. Whatever that means)

Josh Ravin (Good Stuff. Needs to stay healthy)

Donnie Joseph (Lefty Closers are always nice)

Can't wait to see lists from some of the other people with knowledge of the minor leagues

Re: Who are your "breakout" players for 2010?

Mace Thurman
    Josh Fellhauer
    Matt Fairel
    Byron Wiley
    Mark Pawalek
    Jeremy Horst
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Hitter:

Neftali Soto - he had a down year and while I agreed with the decision to start him in High-A, he was probably better suited to begin in Dayton, and the Reds admitted this too. He'll still only be 21 years old next spring and should repeat High-A. The good news is Soto will be out of the FSL so that should help some. Despite a .644 OPS in the FSL, Soto posted a strong LD% of 22.4, which suggests there was some bad luck involved in his struggles. I expect a bounce back season from him in 2010.

Honorable mention: Devin Mesoraco. His statline didn't look pretty but he walked at a solid clip and showed some decent power.

Pitcher:

Juan Carlos Sulbaran - Like Soto, Sulbaran was probably rushed but I agreed with the decision to start him in Dayton. As a high school draftee, Sulbaran completely skipped Rookie Ball and went straight to Low-A. He was very inconsistent this season but I saw some things I like, most notably his strong strikeout rate (100 K in 92.2 IP). I expect him to be back in Dayton next season and pitch much better.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Hitter:

Neftali Soto - he had a down year and while I agreed with the decision to start him in High-A, he was probably better suited to begin in Dayton, and the Reds admitted this too. He'll still only be 21 years old next spring and should repeat High-A. The good news is Soto will be out of the FSL so that should help some. Despite a .644 OPS in the FSL, Soto posted a strong LD% of 22.4, which suggests there was some bad luck involved in his struggles. I expect a bounce back season from him in 2010.

Honorable mention: Devin Mesoraco. His statline didn't look pretty but he walked at a solid clip and showed some decent power.
    If you adjust for park and luck over at minor-league splits.com, this is what you get for these two guys:

Soto: .313/.344/.446/.790
    Mesoraco: .279/.356/.455/.811

So, yeah, they look like pretty safe bets to "breakout", as long as they get out of the FSL.

OBM beat me on Soto.

for pitcher, I'm thinking Klinker. 2009 may have actually been his breakout season, and I'm thinking he zoomed to nearly the top of the Red's pitching prospects list, possibly behind Wood. great K rates at 3 levels this year. He and Wood will make a tough 1-2 punch at AAA.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Hitters
    Devin Mesoraco - Good peripherals were weighed down by a lower than expected BABIP.
    Neftali Soto - Too good of a hitter to have another bad season.
    Mark Fleury - His minorleaguesplits.com 'adjusted for normal luck' line was .308/.378/.551. His actual line was .203/.285/.391.

Pitchers
    Dallas Buck - Just a gut call. If he can stay healthy he has the ability to put up a real good season.
    Mark Serrano - Going to go from good prospect to very good prospect next year.

High five!

Just a note on Mesoraco, he was on "tech talk" the other day before the game as part of a fielding thing and he didn't look "doughy" by any stretch of the imagination. He seemed pretty fit to me.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Just a note on Mesoraco, he was on "tech talk" the other day before the game as part of a fielding thing and he didn't look "doughy" by any stretch of the imagination. He seemed pretty fit to me.
    As I have shown in the past, there simply is no realistic place where that comment came from. If you know where to look, you can find photo's of Devin from the 2008 season from April, July and August and in not one of them is there anything resembling a guy 'who spent too much of his signing bonus on milk shakes' as an anonymous scout said. With that said, Mesoraco is in better physical condition this season than he was last year, but that's going to happen when your body continues to mature in most cases.

Matt Klinker
    JCS
    Yonder Alonso will beast up and be a contender for MILB POY
    Cozart takes another step forward
    Soto
    Smit
    Im with Doug I have a feeling about Buck
    Juan Duran

I also think Juan Duran will rebound and take a step forward next season.

Daniel Tuttle. I don't know if he'll dominate or anything, but establishing himself maybe like Sulbaran did this year would be nice to see considering all the low cieling arms in the system right now.

I'm kind of expecting Yorman Rodriguez to become the Carlos Truinfel of the Reds. Wait... is that what he is already?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Felhauer and Hamilton

Sulbaran and Ravin

I offer none of these guys with conviction (having, uh, not seen them play), but arrive at:

Jordan Hotchkiss

(I'll let him stand alone for a moment as my feature selection. Then . . . )

Alexis Oliveras
    Devin Mesoraco
    Mark Serrano
    Alexander Smit
    Daniel Corcino
    Neftali Soto
    Jeremy Horst
    Curtis Partch

I'm not listing Mace Thurman because he's essentially been aces since the day he started.

Also not mentioning some rookie leaguers I like a lot, such as Jacob Johnson, Nathan Driessen, Tyler Cline, Daniel Tuttle, Billy Hamilton. Because they're rookie leaguers. (Somehow, I don't put Billings in the same class as the GCL and DSL.)
    Last edited by mace; 10-01-2009 at 11:26 AM.

I'm curious what happened to our 2009 predictions. I think I went with Mace Thurman, who certainly did not disappoint....

Speaking of which, I can't seem to find his player-specific thread. What's his story. The guy is pitching like a young Billy Wagner or Joe Nathan. Is he a hard thrower? What sort of stuff does he have?
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 10-01-2009 at 11:59 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?