Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: with LaRussa on the market, will BCast...

with LaRussa on the market, will BCast...

make him an special assistant???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: with LaRussa on the market, will BCast...

I would rather take Dave Duncan if I had a choice.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'd love to have both, but Larussa and Rolen mix about as well as oil and water. That ship sailed when they traded for Rolen.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Just one more way Rolen is great for this team! I want no part of Larussa's clown act... he's one of the few managers I like LESS than Dusty.:thumbdown

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Just one more way Rolen is great for this team! I want no part of Larussa's clown act... he's one of the few managers I like LESS than Dusty.:thumbdown

Yeah.........those clown acts that win lots of division titles, Reds fans shouldn't want any part of.....

How much does Larussa have left in the tank? He's set to turn 65 this Sunday, and when Jack McKeon managed the 1999 Reds at the age of 68, he was the third-oldest manager in MLB history. I'm not saying he can't be a winner into his late 60s and early 70s, but there is little precedent for it happening.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I would rather take Dave Duncan if I had a choice.
    Yes , bring his talents to the Reds organization. Oversight czar of pitching improvement & development.

Small market team with limited resources?
    Short on cash resources?
    Short on talent resources?
    Then create an abundance of pitching resources, quality pitching is gold in baseball.
    Use the abundance of pitching resources to obtain the additional resources needed in the future.

I have no interest in LaRussa - even if it were to mean the departure of The Dusty. Serious. I despise Tony that much.

But if it meant the departure of Dusty and also the addition of Dave Duncan, I'd sacrifice.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I'd love to have both, but Larussa and Rolen mix about as well as oil and water. That ship sailed when they traded for Rolen.
    LaRussa and Rolen resolved their problems and it was publicly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    LaRussa and Rolen resolved their problems and it was publicly noted.
    Then, I'd dump Dusty in a heartbeat, and offer Larussa the moon, and bring in Dave Duncan. Instant credibility. That's what they tried to get with Baker.

Duncan would be my ideal target. More than any player this off-season, he'd be my prime target and I'd be willing to pay upwards of $2.5 million for a long-term contract.

That contract would pay for itself the first year, IMO.

He's the best pitching coach since Johnny Sain. (With the possible exception of Leo Mazzone, who might be all lightning in a bottle, with the Big Four.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Duncan would be my ideal target. More than any player this off-season, he'd be my prime target and I'd be willing to pay upwards of $2.5 million for a long-term contract.

That contract would pay for itself the first year, IMO.

He's the best pitching coach since Johnny Sain. (With the possible exception of Leo Mazzone, who might be all lightning in a bottle, with the Big Four.)
    Agreed. Forget La Russa, just go after Duncan hard.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

i think it's a package deal. duncan will go where larussa will. i don't think the 2 are seperating unless larussa retires.

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    speaking of clown act, what was that nonsense last night with Smoltz and LaRussa, did Smoltz not like the way the balls felt? Then he throws a ball at the Reds dugout according to Thom, geez, if the Umps say the balls are Ok, then playball dont throw a hissy fit and throw a baseball at the dugout, I lost all respect for Smoltz.

I would like to have LaRussa.. However, this team needs to re-adjust its priorities a little bit. When the budget is as tight as the Reds' budget, the team can not spend 3 million or more for a manager. I'm sure Cast is a big fan of leadership, but I'd rather use that 3 million in Free Agency.

I really don't min d Dusty, but I've come around to the view that it's a poor allocation of the Reds' limited cash. Upgrade the roster to the point where it is a solid over .500 team, then worry about finding the perfect manager.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?