Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Indians fire Eric Wedge

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    448

    Indians fire Eric Wedge

    CLEVELAND (AP)—The Cleveland Indians have fired manager Eric Wedge in the final days of a terrible season.

    Wedge guided the Indians to one playoff appearance in seven seasons, and this year the club fell out of contention early and is currently one game out of last place in the AL Central.

    The Indians have scheduled a Wednesday afternoon news conference at Progressive Field to announce Wedge’s dismissal.

    Wedge will finish out the season as manager. Cleveland’s coaching staff has also been informed it will not be retained, but some of the staff could be rehired by the Indians’ next manager.

    Two years ago, Cleveland was one win away from a World Series trip. The Indians fell to 81-81 in 2008, but were expected to bounce back and contend this season. However, a slow start snowballed and by midseason the club traded defending Cy Young winner Cliff Lee and All-Star catcher Victor Martinez to begin rebuilding again.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    i'd rather have Wedge than The Dusty. go get him BCast.

  4. #3
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,395

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    I'd rather have my leg cut off than be decapitated, doesn't mean I'd be in a rush to do it though .

  5. #4
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    Wedge > The Dusty

  6. #5
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,713

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    Was expecting that one. Fired the wrong guy, Shapiro's the culprit with that franchise.

  7. #6
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,881

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    I just don't understand why you'd do this with 5 or so games remaining (same goes for the Astros). Does a bigger message get sent by doing it in the ending season than right after the season ends?

    I can't say whether it was justified seeing as I haven't seen much of the Indians the last year or so, but certainly for a team that routinely dissapoints it's not suprising that the coaching staff takes the fall.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  8. #7
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I just don't understand why you'd do this with 5 or so games remaining (same goes for the Astros). Does a bigger message get sent by doing it in the ending season than right after the season ends?

    I can't say whether it was justified seeing as I haven't seen much of the Indians the last year or so, but certainly for a team that routinely dissapoints it's not suprising that the coaching staff takes the fall.
    It's easier to blame coaches.

    That being said, outside of Houston and Cleveland, who else will be in the hunt for a new manager next season?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  9. #8
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,713

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It's easier to blame coaches.

    That being said, outside of Houston and Cleveland, who else will be in the hunt for a new manager next season?
    Washington shouldn't hire Riggleman. Cubs after Lou resigns this offseason?

  10. #9
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It's easier to blame coaches.

    That being said, outside of Houston and Cleveland, who else will be in the hunt for a new manager next season?

    StL, if LaRussa quits. Maybe Oakland. Maybe the Mets.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  11. #10
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,105

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    Not surprised but I'd have to say that IMO Wedge was not the problem.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  12. #11
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,395

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Not surprised but I'd have to say that IMO Wedge was not the problem.
    Agreed. The small market franchises have to find SOME scapegoat for their dwindling attendance and pile of losses... often times it's the manager, and undeservedly so.

    Jim Tracy was pretty awful in Pittsburgh... amazing what good players does for someone, even for our Dusty.

  13. #12
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,683

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I just don't understand why you'd do this with 5 or so games remaining (same goes for the Astros). Does a bigger message get sent by doing it in the ending season than right after the season ends?
    No, it's just that, once you've made the decision to fire someone, you fire him. Who's helped by waiting for the season to end first?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  14. #13
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    No, it's just that, once you've made the decision to fire someone, you fire him. Who's helped by waiting for the season to end first?
    Sometimes I think it is a good idea to let managers go at the end of the season, but I guess it depends on the situation.

    For example, the Marlins replaced Jeff Torborg with Jack McKeon in 2003. That one worked out pretty well.

    At the same time, I think sometimes you fall into a bit of a trap if you fire somebody early in the season and give an assistant the interim tag. If there is moderate progress, then they are usually promoted to manager at the end of the season and the mediocrity continues. See Dave Miley or Jerry Narron.

    Six games left in the season though? I don't know what that proves. Milwaukee did it last season with twelve games but actually had something to play for. Not sure what the Indians and Astros are doing.

    Any chance Jeff Bagwell gets the Astros manager job? I know he is working in the front office for Houston and his name was mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  15. #14
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,604

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    So Wedge is available to be the backup to Hanigan next year?

  16. #15
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,683

    Re: Indians fire Eric Wedge

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Sometimes I think it is a good idea to let managers go at the end of the season, but I guess it depends on the situation.

    For example, the Marlins replaced Jeff Torborg with Jack McKeon in 2003. That one worked out pretty well.

    At the same time, I think sometimes you fall into a bit of a trap if you fire somebody early in the season and give an assistant the interim tag. If there is moderate progress, then they are usually promoted to manager at the end of the season and the mediocrity continues. See Dave Miley or Jerry Narron.

    Six games left in the season though? I don't know what that proves. Milwaukee did it last season with twelve games but actually had something to play for. Not sure what the Indians and Astros are doing.
    I don't know about the Astros, but this is different, it's only a week. They made the decision and let him choose whether or not he wanted to stay with his team for the last week. I think that's the right way to handle it. If you're not sure yet, you wait for the season to end, but, if you are sure, you tell the man the truth.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25