Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ted Williams' frozen head for batting practice

Ted Williams' frozen head for batting practice

I always knew I would type that.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...eball_imm.html

Workers at an Arizona cryonics facility mutilated the frozen head of baseball legend Ted Williams - even using it for a bizarre batting practice, a new tell-all book claims.

In "Frozen," Larry Johnson, a former exec at the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Ariz., graphically describes how The Splendid Splinter" was beheaded, his head frozen and repeatedly abused.

The book, out Tuesday from Vanguard Press, tells how Williams' corpse became "Alcorian A-1949" at the facility, where bodies are kept suspended in liquid nitrogen in case future generations learn how to revive them.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz0SqOeMRS6
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Ted Williams' frozen head for batting practice

Whoa

What a travesty. I don't know how those people sleep at night.

Ghouls.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

His head can still get on base more then Willy Taveras.

Oh, like you weren't thinking the same thing!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Now that is what you call a chip off the old block....
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

That may be the most disturbing thing I have ever read on RedsZone... and it's not really close.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I read the whole story and it is truly a gruesome one. Absolutely incredible.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Senor Votto

What the hell is wrong with people? To do this to any person who has passed on is done right horrible. I hope something happens to these (insert word that would get an infraction)

After reading the whole story, those are some truly terrible people.

Sickening. There are some terrible people in this world.

Everything about that group of lunatics is sickening, starting with preying on the grief stricken relatives who cough up the money for their scam.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I watched that HBO Documentary on Ted Williams, which - incidentally - was spectacular and you should all watch it. And there is no doubt that Ted Williams' kids come off as a little (ok, maybe a lot) shady - although, in fairness, they were probably much better children to him than he was a father to them. But the interview with his daughter at the end really stuck with me, when she basically said, "this is what we believe, and how is it your business at all how our family deals with death." I found myself agreeing with that. I am not sure why everyone is so obsessed with this. Frankly, although what this place does makes no sense at all to me, there are plenty of religions around that also make no sense to me. So if this family really believes this is their path to spending life after death together, then I feel I have as much right to judge that as a family that spends millions on a crypt, thousands on a cemetary plot, or hundreds on some urns for creamation.

I was interested that I had that reaction to that interview, because a few months ago I probably would have whole-heartedly agreed with all the comments on here. Now I only half-heartedly agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Everything about that group of lunatics is sickening, starting with preying on the grief stricken relatives who cough up the money for their scam.
    Not that I don't understand the disgust expressed by so many, because I do, but mistreatment of the living concerns me much more than mistreatment of the dead.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Forget Ted Williams the corpse, remember Ted Williams the ballplayer.

Turn Off Ads?