Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baseball Prospectus on the Reds

Re: Baseball Prospectus on the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Oh, how I wish it was that high.
    I'm confused. Are we talking real OBP or romantic OBP here?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

OMG, I am cracking up laughing right now and I'm definitely not sure what the topic is supposed be in this thread, LOL

And for the record, as a slightly dorky girl myself, if you quoted or mentioned Star Trek to me, I'd be okay with that because I like that franchise. Mention any of the others to me though and you're out of luck, LOL :
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm confused. Are we talking real OBP or romantic OBP here?
    Let's put it this way, if it is possible to have a negative OBP in high school, then that's what I had. That's based on figuring in all the girls who I didn't ask out, but who would have turned me down if I did.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

One thing is for sure...the Reds do not stand a chance for competing without shoring up that 5th spot in the rotation. Owings isn't going to cut it.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    One thing is for sure...the Reds do not stand a chance for competing without shoring up that 5th spot in the rotation. Owings isn't going to cut it.
    Or Wells.

Let's put it this way, if it is possible to have a negative OBP in high school, then that's what I had. That's based on figuring in all the girls who I didn't ask out, but who would have turned me down if I did.
    Same here. And when I did go the plate, I certainly did not have quality at bats. You have to learn to take some pitches and really swing at the ones you can drive.... I just hope that, at age 27, I've not reached my peak performance.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

You can't go in with a negative attitude, though, that is one thing I have learned in college so far.

well, on the bright side, if it's possible for me to find a wife, I think that gives hope to every guy on the planet.

Just keep that in mind, good luck
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I never have understood the overzealous hunt for a fifth starter. I mean, how many games a year do you have to have a fifth starter, like 15? Bring up a different young pitcher every month and use it as a 'trial by fire'. I personally think the fifth starter is about as vital the 25th man and/or the last bullpen slot. Give me a solid starting 8, 4 solid starting pitchers, 5 solid bullpen arms, an extra catcher, extra oufielder, and an extra infielder...the other five guys are important from time to time, and absolutely important for depth in case of injury, etc, but they are NOT high on the priority list.

I mean seriously, let's say I had Lincecum, Greinke, Hernandez, Halladay, and Carpenter with the rest of our current roster...I'd trade Halladay for a shortstop who can hit and play someone else as my 5th starter.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    I never have understood the overzealous hunt for a fifth starter. I mean, how many games a year do you have to have a fifth starter, like 15?
    Quite a few when your 1-4 get hurt and your 5 gets promoted up the line.

Of course quality matter, but depth matters too. Count down your depth chart and at least 8 guys will be starting games.

Guys get hurt. If the reds had managed to keep Joey Votto in the lineup all year long, they would probably be looking at a winning season. Alternatively, if they had managed to aquire a backup first baseman better than Ramon Hernandez (say Johny Gomes could play 1st base) again the Reds would likely be looking at a winning season.

Good organizations plan for injuries via depth. Bad organizations just throw up their hands and say..."We had a lot of guys get injured this year. What can you do?"
    Last edited by dfs; 10-03-2009 at 11:53 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    I never have understood the overzealous hunt for a fifth starter. I mean, how many games a year do you have to have a fifth starter, like 15? Bring up a different young pitcher every month and use it as a 'trial by fire'. I personally think the fifth starter is about as vital the 25th man and/or the last bullpen slot. Give me a solid starting 8, 4 solid starting pitchers, 5 solid bullpen arms, an extra catcher, extra oufielder, and an extra infielder...the other five guys are important from time to time, and absolutely important for depth in case of injury, etc, but they are NOT high on the priority list.

I mean seriously, let's say I had Lincecum, Greinke, Hernandez, Halladay, and Carpenter with the rest of our current roster...I'd trade Halladay for a shortstop who can hit and play someone else as my 5th starter.
    I agree.Deal with the 5th spot in the rotation the best they can with what they have until Volquez is back.I think that it's safe to say that the Reds just have to take their chances that the rotation, if left alone will be good enough in 2010.What little money is available should be used to improve the offense.

Turn Off Ads?