Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 9-30-09 Reds vs Cards

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: 9-30-09 Reds vs Cards

That is AWESOME for Bronson! What a way to end the year and since we don't face Toronto next year, maybe he can have a strong full season next year!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Joey sets the club doubles mark for the month of September in the game tonight which I actually didn't know until just now, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

What happened between Dusty and Smoltz?

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    Thom and Cowboy seemed to think it had to do with Stubbs stealing second in the third inning when the Reds were already up 6-0.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

That was payback for all the outside pitches he and Glavine and Maddux got during the 90's in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Thom and Cowboy seemed to think it had to do with Stubbs stealing second in the third inning when the Reds were already up 6-0.
    Which is BS. A 6 run lead in the third in nothing. Did Smoltz expect the Cardinals to stop trying to score after that?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    They asked Smoltz,that question and he would'nt answer it.He went on to say that those balls was the worst that he ever pitched with in his career.He said the balls was'nt rubbed down like the ump is suppose to do.He said they were brand new.He was then asked the question that does some pitchers prefer pitching with slick balls and he said yes and he guessed that Bronson was one of thos pitchers b/c he shut down the Cards. He might as well just came out and said that "the reds organization done something with the balls so the cards would lose" b/c thats what he was thinking.

Larussa was asked about the balls and he would'nt even answer the question.He said I an't answering the question and the only thing that I will say is that the reds scored more runs than we did!! Then he only answered two more questions and walked off. SORE LOSERS!!!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

The Reds are now officially one one game away from 3rd place!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

From Stltoday.com:

Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan, who raised the issue of what he termed unrubbed baseballs with Culbreth and crew chief Gary Cederstrom on the field, wasn't so generous in assessing Arroyo's success with the same baseballs Smoltz was using.

Duncan, who said the umpires told him the baseballs indeed were rubbed up, said Arroyo was able to deal with the issue because "I'm sure he had pine tar on his cap. He didn't have any problem getting a grip. Balls like that can generate a lot more movement than a slick ball that hasn't been rubbed up."

Asked if he had seen Arroyo go to his cap, Duncan said, "Just every pitch."

Then Duncan said, "That's not the point. The point is that a pitcher should never be able to have control over how a ball is rubbed up, whether it's more or less. And since the umpires don't rub the balls up and their clubhouse guys do, I'm sure he had some control over it."

Duncan said he didn't and wouldn't ask the umpires to investigate Arroyo's head gear. "It's gamesmanship," Duncan said.

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa obliquely said, "There's a way to improve your grip. The balls weren't slick for (Arroyo). There's probably a reason why they weren't slick for him. Different fingertips or something. I don't know."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...C?OpenDocument

If they thought Arroyo was cheating then they should have told the umpires instead of crying to the media after the game.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'd personally like to hear what Bronson has to say about all this. We know he won't pull any punches.

Here you go...some words from Bronson in Fay's recent blog entry:

Bronson Arroyo’s pine tar incident won’t rank with George Brett’s, but it perked up a slow morning in the Reds clubhouse. This is from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan, who raised the issue of what he termed unrubbed baseballs with (Fieldin) Culbreth and crew chief Gary Cederstrom on the field, wasn’t so generous in assessing Arroyo’s success with the same baseballs (John) Smoltz was using.

Duncan, who said the umpires told him the baseballs indeed were rubbed up, said Arroyo was able to deal with the issue because “I’m sure he had pine tar on his cap. He didn’t have any problem getting a grip. Balls like that can generate a lot more movement than a slick ball that hasn’t been rubbed up.”

Smoltz walked five hitters last night after walking three in 34 innings with the Cardinals. He blamed the baseballs, saying they had not but rubbed properly. That led to Duncan’s accusation about Arroyo.

“I guarantee when I pitch against the Cardinals next year, I’ll call over and tell Dave Duncan I’m wearing a brand new hat,” Arroyo said.

Reds pitching Dick Pole: “That must have meant (Dennys) Reyes, (Josh) Kinney and (Brad) Thompson were using pine tar, too. They didn’t have any trouble throwing the ball over the plate.”

Reyes, Kinney and Thompson pitched the final innings for the Cardinals. Reyes walked one, the other walked none.

Balls are rubbed with dirt by clubhouse workers.

Arroyo was amused by the controversy.

“The only reason he said that is I’ve been wearing this thing all season,” Arroyo said.

He showed me his hat. It’s stained on the bill.

“That’s what happens. It’s from playing in every other park where there’s so much mud on the balls that that black stuff comes off on young fingers every time. I guess he said I went to my hat time every time. Yeah, I grab my (crotch) and do 8,000 other twitches. What you want me to do about it? That’s how I pitch.”

“The funny thing is normal switch out hats. But I didn’t switch hats because it wasn’t hot enough and it wasn’t soaking wet.”

Arroyo said he’s dealt with balls that were hard to grip, particularly at Yankee Stadium in October.

“That’s just the way it is,” he said. “You find a way to pitch. . . I don’t know I thought I had the day off.”

Turn Off Ads?