Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roadside Speed Checkers in Ohio

Roadside Speed Checkers in Ohio

Can they issue tickets? I have one setup near my house and being a new driver I really do not want a ticket.

I noticed it today, while I was going about ten miles per hour over the speed limit. I was far enough away that I don't believe it could possibly get a picture of my car. I don't have a front license plate, and I was driving facing it. Would that eliminate any chance they have in catching me?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roadside Speed Checkers in Ohio

Best way to avoid a ticket is to slow down. Leave earlier.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Best way to avoid a ticket is to slow down. Leave earlier.
    I know. I'm a very good driver. This was just a rare exception to the rule.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

if they did I would go to jail before I would pay that crap.

I don't believe they can tell who passes, just the time and speed of every car that does. Most of the time they're placed in known hotspots or near areas that draw a lot of complaints from residents. They're trying to get you to slow down by seeing your speed as well as find the best places and times to post an actual officer to give tickets.

If you live in a city with red light cameras however, many of those do snap a picture if your speed going through the intersection is above whatever mandate the PD sets. I was told by someone that usually it's more than 10 MPH above the posted limit.

They call me "chef"

If you are in deed speeding, and the speed checker verifies it, you should drive immediately to the nearest police station and turn yourself in. There is a culture in America today that lacks discipline and morality and us old timers can only try to steer you in the right direction- you are the ones who will have to walk the hard line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    If you are in deed speeding, and the speed checker verifies it, you should drive immediately to the nearest police station and turn yourself in. There is a culture in America today that lacks discipline and morality and us old timers can only try to steer you in the right direction- you are the ones who will have to walk the hard line.
    Haha. That is the most ridiculious post I have ever heard.
    -LTlabner

In DC and Maryland on certain roads or streets they have speed cameras. They record your speed and if you are speeding, take a picture of your liscense plate and you will get a $40 ticket in the mail. So beware if you are in this area.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    In DC and Maryland on certain roads or streets they have speed cameras. They record your speed and if you are speeding, take a picture of your liscense plate and you will get a $40 ticket in the mail. So beware if you are in this area.
    Then I will take a picture of 2 $20 bills and mail that to them.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

GoReds33, you seem to be establishing a pattern here, one where you seem to search for where you can skirt the rules. As one who was a bit rebellious in my youth, I'm thankful I made it to this point in life without having significant consequences for my indiscretions. We know you're young and we've all been there, but it will behoove you to slow down a bit and not worry about whether you'll get caught or not. Good letter in the Enquirer this week from a driver who noted they were going to stop going through those "orange lights" she's made a habit of running after the death of the St. X student recently. I understand this isn't the point of your question, but the larger point is frankly, we all need to slow down some and obey traffic laws a lot. I swear Cincinnati could balance it's budget just by ticketing everyone who runs or rolls through the stop sign outside my office.

Oh, and that absent front license plate? That's a ticketable item too and you're just begging to give a police officer an excuse to pull you over? How will he know? He'll pass you, look in his rear view mirror, see the Ohio plate and have every right to turn around and pull you over.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Then I will take a picture of 2 $20 bills and mail that to them.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

My hometown in Ohio put in red light and speed cameras this year. Since the cameras have gone in, the city's issued thousands of $100 tickets. When I was there in August and driving around, the compliance with speed limits was as close to perfect as I think any place ever gets. Those things really work!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Forty?

i got my speed and image recorded, ticketed and received a $200 plus speeding ticket.

In the mail!

As for skirting the rules, go ahead , you're young drive fast, be safe though and expect a ticket now and then, I do.

I'm not saying to slow down because you are showing patterns of becoming a delinquent. I'm saying to slow down just because getting tickets is a hassle, especially for the person paying your insurance premiums. Having said that, those speed checkers are usually in places where the police have had problems with speeding or where there are potentially dangerous situations. If you want to speed, hit the interstate where there is much more of a tendency from police to give you that extra 10-15mph as long as your not weaving in and out of lanes, passing people on the right, etc.
    Just pick your places.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

What kind of speed checker are you talking about?

I know I periodically go past ones that just show you your current speed and blink at you if you're over the speed limit. They are set up by the local PD and aren't hooked up to anything that would issue tickets.

However, I'd be careful. I've seen a marked increase in police pulling over speeders in the general Cincinnati area. Like, when I drive home, there are 2 places on I-275 where Springdale and Sharonville cops have people pulled over *every* night. I'm sure its to generate revenue for the city. The pros and cons of this are Peanut Gallery fodder I'm sure.

I've slowed my driving down. One of the few things I've learned in my long years on this earth is that you don't get there much sooner by driving like a bandit. I put some tunes on the radio and go to my happy place.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?