Thread: Bruce changes mind about playing winter ball

Bruce changes mind about playing winter ball

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bruce changes mind about playing winter ball

It's funny, I would actually like Dusty to be our bench coach. I really do think he understands how to play the game well and works with the players. I just don't want him filling out the lineup card and calling for bunts and whatnot.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Jay's decision doesn't surprise me in the least. In fact, I was wondering the other day if he'd decide not to.

He had already stated that he would play only to work on his plate dicipline/approach and that when he got it figured out, he'd come home. Kinda looks like he's already figured it out.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It's funny, I would actually like Dusty to be our bench coach. I really do think he understands how to play the game well and works with the players. I just don't want him filling out the lineup card and calling for bunts and whatnot.
    "I think he's shown a lot of improvement," Jocketty said. "A lot depends on our total offense. If we can pick up the offense in the other positions, maybe we can sacrifice a little bit more at short for the better defense. But we'd like to see him keep impreoving with offense.

"Our defense has always been strong on the right side. Now with Scott [Rolen] and Janish, it's very strong on the left side
    Reads like Mr. Jocketty is going to try to improve the offense through the outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Reads like Mr. Jocketty is going to try to improve the offense through the outfield.
    Jocketty said last off-season that acquiring a right-handed power hitter for left field was the team's #1 priority.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Jocketty said last off-season that acquiring a right-handed power hitter for left field was the team's #1 priority.
    That's true. I was thinking yesterday that he really is not locked in a box to LF. He has the parts as such if he can find the bats he could go with any of the OF postions.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Jay's decision doesn't surprise me in the least. In fact, I was wondering the other day if he'd decide not to.

He had already stated that he would play only to work on his plate dicipline/approach and that when he got it figured out, he'd come home. Kinda looks like he's already figured it out.
    I agree but I don't believe this:

Jay Bruce has changed his mind about playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic. Bruce has batted .316 (12-for-38) with four homers and 16 RBIs since returning from a fractured right wrist, but said that had little to do with the decision.
    His success has everything to do with his decision. If he'd looked like he did the first two weeks (since coming back) when he couldn't muscle the ball out of the infield then you better believe he'd find himself in winter ball somewhere

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I think this is a bad decision by Jay Bruce.

Get more reps, get more PAs, face pitchers you haven't or don't normally face and work on your pitch recognition.

The power will come back once the wrist is completely healed, but why not use the time to work on helping increase your OBP talents and skills?

Sure, there's always an injury risk with winter ball, but I want to see Bruce continue to hone his craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I think this is a bad decision by Jay Bruce.

Get more reps, get more PAs, face pitchers you haven't or don't normally face and work on your pitch recognition.

The power will come back once the wrist is completely healed, but why not use the time to work on helping increase your OBP talents and skills?

Sure, there's always an injury risk with winter ball, but I want to see Bruce continue to hone his craft.
    Flash forward July-Aug. 2010--"Bruce should not have played winter ball. He was rehabbing while he was injured, so it isn't like he was just sitting around doing nothing. I think he could have used the break, both mentally and physically."

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Flash forward July-Aug. 2010--"Bruce should not have played winter ball. He was rehabbing while he was injured, so it isn't like he was just sitting around doing nothing. I think he could have used the break, both mentally and physically."
    You're right, there's going to be 2 sides to this coin, as there should.

It's like Cueto last offseason, although off the top of my head I don't remember anyone thinking it was a good idea for him to pitch winter ball.

I agree, let the kid rest get strong wipe off 2009 and start fresh, Ive got no problem whatsoever with him doing this, if he goes to spring training and he's swinging for HRs then he should go to AAA, its that simple

And next year if he comes out and hits like he has for the past two years? What will they be saying then? That Bruce had not arrived, though he appears to think that he has, and needed the additional work to develop his skills, and he chose not to, when he chose to not go to winter ball?

How many current Reds are there that don't need more work on their game?
    Code:
    Season .221 .302 .471 .772 
    Career .239 .309 .461 .769

2008 Cin .254 .314 .453 .767 
    AB 413 PA 452
    2009 Cin .221 .302 .471 .773 
    AB 340 PA 382

vs. Left  .204 .310 .327 .637 
    vs. Right .227 .299 .529 .828

vs. Left  .190 .263 .299 .562 
    vs. Right .286 .340 .529 .869

The young player Bruce that we love to hope for, is what he is, not what we hope he will be, yet.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 10-03-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    And next year if he comes out and hits like he has for the past two years? What will they be saying then? That Bruce had not arrived, though he appears to think that he has, and needed the additional work to develop his skills, and he chose not to, when he chose to not go to winter ball?

How many current Reds are there that don't need more work on their game?
    Code:
    Season .221 .302 .471 .772 
    Career .239 .309 .461 .769

2008 Cin .254 .314 .453 .767 
    AB 413 PA 452
    2009 Cin .221 .302 .471 .773 
    AB 340 PA 382

vs. Left  .204 .310 .327 .637 
    vs. Right .227 .299 .529 .828

vs. Left  .190 .263 .299 .562 
    vs. Right .286 .340 .529 .869

The young player Bruce that we love to hope for, is what he is, not what we hope he will be, yet.
    Begging the question of the effectiveness of winter ball to accomplish the improvement that a player needs. Yes, Bruce needs to improve if the Reds offense is to improve. Is winter ball necessarily the tool? The burden of proof is on you for that claim.

He's OPSing 2.347 vs. lefties since he has returned. If he keeps that up, that will be a good thing.

I've been impressed with his plate approach since his return. While his K rate is still high, he isn't flailing at pitches outside the zone. His overall pitch recognition has improved dramatically....and when that happens....the boy's sweet swing and raw power will carry him into the land of .900 + ops.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Begging the question of the effectiveness of winter ball to accomplish the improvement that a player needs. Yes, Bruce needs to improve if the Reds offense is to improve. Is winter ball necessarily the tool? The burden of proof is on you for that claim.
    I can't say what one develops from their choice of action or inaction.

To further work on his game and skills at whatever level is an action, that action may or may not give him the value that he desires. We do know that from repetitions that one is said to have a chance to improve by working on getting the reps and opportunity to be better than they were. Will winter ball or working at home over the winter make the difference, who knows?

Can any of us say and know that Jay Bruce will be able to achieve the levels to have earned his everyday status in the outfield next year as he is now?

Well, I want him to, well I hope he can, I think he will. So? Is it true that he will be able to as he is right now?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 10-03-2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: stinking typo's..sigh

Turn Off Ads?