Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favre takes on the Packers

Favre takes on the Packers

As a Packer fan I'm really looking forward to MNF this week when my team will take on the Vikings and their new QB Brett Farve.I won't say what I think will happen other then I wonder if at some point Brett won't be tempted to fire a pass to the guys with the yellow helmets on.

To be honest I really don't know how to feel about the game.Farve is a legend and I will always be a fan of his but now I really just have to hope he fails.I'm a little to young to remember Rose playing for the Phillies but I imagine some of the older Reds fans here know how I feel.How are you suppose to feel when a guy achieves legendary status playing for you favorite team and then goes to play for the enemy?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Farve takes on the Packers

I remember Rose playing for the Phillies and feeling that he was a traitor. As a kid, I didn't really understand the concept of free agency, so I felt like leaving that way (as opposed to being traded) was tantamount to turning on your own family.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I remember Rose playing for the Phillies and feeling that he was a traitor. As a kid, I didn't really understand the concept of free agency, so I felt like leaving that way (as opposed to being traded) was tantamount to turning on your own family.
    With Brett his departure from the Packers and arrival to one of their biggest rivals wasn't all that cut and dry.In case you were literally born yesterday you probably know a good deal of the story.In case anyone has forgotten I'll give ya a quick recap.

With Farve I guess he retired but claimed that he was forced to make a decision too early thus making the wrong decision.So naturally he then changed his mind and unretired.He claimed he wanted to return to Green Bay.When he wasn't welcomed with open arms he then wanted to be traded.So Green Bay traded Brett at his own request.While he was no longer with Green Bay he was traded to a team that was unlikely to ever face the Packers along with a clause in the deal that would pretty much assure the Packers that Farve would never be traded.Not to mention the contract that he'd be playing with was a 2 year deal that would make it pretty safe to assume that Farve would retire with that team.After one year with the Jets Farve once again retired.The Jets then released Farve at Farve's request even though he stood by his decision to stay retired.Then he had surgery to fix his arm up and appeared set to unretire once again only to pronounce that he would remain retired as preseason began.Once team opened camp he again changed his mind and unretired and there you have it.

I'd say that he did all of this to just try to stick it to his old team.So yeah I feel like he's a traitor.He claims that this isn't the case but there's still more then 24 hrs before MNF kicks off.Brett still has time to change his mind about why he's playing for the Vikings,set a press conference and let everyone know what his new motivation for coming back is.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    With Brett his departure from the Packers and arrival to one of their biggest rivals wasn't all that cut and dry.In case you were literally born yesterday you probably know a good deal of the story.In case anyone has forgotten I'll give ya a quick recap.

With Farve I guess he retired but claimed that he was forced to make a decision too early thus making the wrong decision.So naturally he then changed his mind and unretired.He claimed he wanted to return to Green Bay.When he wasn't welcomed with open arms he then wanted to be traded.So Green Bay traded Brett at his own request.While he was no longer with Green Bay he was traded to a team that was unlikely to ever face the Packers along with a clause in the deal that would pretty much assure the Packers that Farve would never be traded.Not to mention the contract that he'd be playing with was a 2 year deal that would make it pretty safe to assume that Farve would retire with that team.After one year with the Jets Farve once again retired.The Jets then released Farve at Farve's request even though he stood by his decision to stay retired.Then he had surgery to fix his arm up and appeared set to unretire once again only to pronounce that he would remain retired as preseason began.Once team opened camp he again changed his mind and unretired and there you have it.

I'd say that he did all of this to just try to stick it to his old team.So yeah I feel like he's a traitor.He claims that this isn't the case but there's still more then 24 hrs before MNF kicks off.Brett still has time to change his mind about why he's playing for the Vikings,set a press conference and let everyone know what his new motivation for coming back is.
    I can understand how you feel. My feeling is that Favre keeps retiring and unretiring because he craves the spotlight and can't come to grips with retirement. It seems like his annual retirement/unretirement stunts are just as much directed at keeping his name and face on ESPN as it is a desire to keep playing. But this season it did seem like he focused much of his attention on the Vikings. I don't know if that's because he holds a grudge against the Packers or because the Vikings are the only ones who expressed serious interest.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't know if that's because he holds a grudge against the Packers or because the Vikings are the only ones who expressed serious interest.
    He's friends with Darrell Bevell, the Vikings' QB coach. He wanted to play where his buddy coaches.

Re: Favre takes on the Packers

It's insane here in the Twin Cities today. With the MNF game, you wouldn't even know there was an important baseball game tomorrow. All the talk is about the Vikes/Packers.

When I moved here 3.5 years ago, I had no idea how strong the Packer presence was in the Twin Cities. It's just as strong, if not moreso, than the Vikings presence. And the packer fans were all about Favre. I've not seen fans more obsessed with one player than Favre. Everywhere I looked, there were Favre jerseys, pictures of him all over the ladies' desks and offices, etc... For the most, it hasn't turned into bitterness as they loved him so much they just can't hate him now. There are exceptions, but the general feeling is one that it's just really weird.

When he goes to Lambeaux, THAT will be the true test. It will be interesting to see how he's received.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Vikings won and Aaron Rodgers took another beating.
    Hes going to have a hard time staying healthy playing behind his current offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Vikings won and Aaron Rodgers took another beating.
    Hes going to have a hard time staying healthy playing behind his current offensive line.
    As much as the O-line needs to be better the Vikings do have a great defense.Also one problem that AR has is sometimes holding on to the ball a little too long.Those two factors together equals an Aaron Rodgers beating.All of that said he played a great game tonight.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    When I moved here 3.5 years ago, I had no idea how strong the Packer presence was in the Twin Cities. It's just as strong, if not moreso, than the Vikings presence.
    That's interesting. When I lived in Wisconsin, I heard from folks who lived in the western part of the state that there was a strong Viking fanbase starting around La Crosse and Eau Claire on westward to the state line.

Guess it works both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

Very nice summary.

One of the late night hosts (Jimmy Fallon, I think) said that facing his old team made Favre more emotional than any of his 17 farewell speeches.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Wait- Favre played the Packers yesterday? Why didn't the sports media report on it?

Well, if the Packers did in fact nudge Bret out the door, I can't say that I blame him for harboring a little bitterness about it.... especially considering how good he was his last year with them. Now if that's really what happened, I don't know. I also highly doubt that revenge was his sole reason for wanting to play still. It's clear the guy still has a lot of fun.

the other thing that's clear is that he's still a damn good QB. He looked pretty fantastic last night, so maybe the Packers are the ones to blame for being stupid enough to force a guy like him out when he was clearly a good QB still.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

the other thing that's clear is that he's still a damn good QB. He looked pretty fantastic last night, so maybe the Packers are the ones to blame for being stupid enough to force a guy like him out when he was clearly a good QB still.
    TD:INT by year
    05: 20:29
    06: 18:18
    07: 28:15
    08: 22:22

Not sure that he has been a "damn good" QB for some time now.

Favre is a HOFer and one of the best QBs ever. That said, I'd would rather have had Rodgers as my QB the last couple years and all future years.

Well, if the Packers did in fact nudge Bret out the door, I can't say that I blame him for harboring a little bitterness about it.... especially considering how good he was his last year with them. Now if that's really what happened, I don't know. I also highly doubt that revenge was his sole reason for wanting to play still. It's clear the guy still has a lot of fun.

I can't argue with any of that except for that the Packers were stupid to force Farve out.It can be debated but in the end I have to agree that the Packers did in fact force Brett out the door but I don't feel they were stupid for doing so.They obviously saw something in Rodgers that made them feel they didn't have to deal with all the drama and most of all uncertainty that would come with giving into Brett.I imagine that it may have cost them a few wins last year and possibly will again this season but that's it.Ask Minn. how they feel about their future at QB.Maybe they don't care and the uncertain future of their franchise's most important position is worth taking a chance at a championship this year.They should keep in mind that there has never been a 40 yr old QB to win a playoff game.Brett looked great last night but we'll have to see how good he looks at the end of the season.He sure did have a great start last year but by the end his age was showing.

In the end it's impossible to say how things would have worked out for the Packers if they had held on to Brett.As a fan I would have loved to see how things would have played out but I can't blame my team for making a very difficult decision by doing the right thing and moving on.

The way I remember it the Packers told Favre to make a decision before the draft which I think is reasonable. Favre made his choice and so did the Packers. As I recall they drafted two QBs in that draft. Chris Mortenson reported today on ESPN radio that Bret had talked retirement every off season since 2003. The Packers didn't want to happen to them what happened to the Lions when Barry Sanders quit the day before summer camp opened.

Turn Off Ads?