Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Sailing, anyone?

  1. #1
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,393

    Sailing, anyone?

    I took up sailing late this summer and today was lucky enough to crew a winning boat in a race on lake Monroe.

    Just wondering if anyone else here sails? We'll be looking to buy a cruiser next summer.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I took up sailing late this summer and today was lucky enough to crew a winning boat in a race on lake Monroe.

    Just wondering if anyone else here sails? We'll be looking to buy a cruiser next summer.
    I am a big sailer. Funny enough I sailed a lot more when I lived in Ohio than I do now that I live in California.

    I grew up racing small boats and raced pretty much every weekend durning the summer at Cowan Lake near Wilmington, Ohio. Not going to Cowan every weekend is one of the things I miss most about Ohio.

    I never got into just crusing too much although I do enjoy it. It's just hard for me to be in a boat and not want to race.

    What are you looking at buying?

  4. #3
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    My wife sailed at Cowan Lake! She raced her Laser there and her parents had a Flying Scot. When she was a kid she was up there about every weekend too.

    We belong to the Lake Monroe Sailing Association, which seems to be a swap meet of Catalina and Hunter 25s. My guess is we'll probably end up in one of those, if only because it means we'll be able to get help from other owners.
    Our price range will have us looking at something from the mid 80s, or maybe even from the 70s...as long as they aren't in bad shape.

    The goal is really to have something that our kids can learn on and enjoy- like a camper on the lake. A little different than racing for sure.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    My wife sailed at Cowan Lake! She raced her Laser there and her parents had a Flying Scot. When she was a kid she was up there about every weekend too.

    We belong to the Lake Monroe Sailing Association, which seems to be a swap meet of Catalina and Hunter 25s. My guess is we'll probably end up in one of those, if only because it means we'll be able to get help from other owners.
    Our price range will have us looking at something from the mid 80s, or maybe even from the 70s...as long as they aren't in bad shape.

    The goal is really to have something that our kids can learn on and enjoy- like a camper on the lake. A little different than racing for sure.
    Very cool. I probably know your wife. I sailed Scot's as well.

    Either of those are good for the crusing circuit. I'm a little more familar with Catalina's, but I've heard good things about Hunters too. You definately want to make sure that the previous owner took good care of her though. Nothing worse than getting a run down boat and there are a lot of them out there.

  6. #5
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    Yeah, I'm not thrilled about buying something that old, but I'll be sure to get a good survey on whatever we buy. Granted, there's sure to be some work involved, but I have seen some good prospects. If this one is still for sale next Spring I'll go give it a look.

    Cat 25

    Strictly Sail has a Cat25 and a Hunter25 at their lot, too. But I'm really hoping they can't move this Seaward and are willing to take a little less for it. That would be a heck of a buy for anything less than 10K if the boat is as sound as it seems.

    My wife's family are named Duffy. They had a slip at Cowan through the 70s and 80s.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  7. #6
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    Forgot to mention that a coworker put me in touch with a friend who is selling an O'day 23. We'll look at it and if the wind is fair we'll take her for a spin.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  8. #7
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    This thread just reminded me of a Christopher Cross song.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Yeah, I'm not thrilled about buying something that old, but I'll be sure to get a good survey on whatever we buy. Granted, there's sure to be some work involved, but I have seen some good prospects. If this one is still for sale next Spring I'll go give it a look.

    Cat 25

    Strictly Sail has a Cat25 and a Hunter25 at their lot, too. But I'm really hoping they can't move this Seaward and are willing to take a little less for it. That would be a heck of a buy for anything less than 10K if the boat is as sound as it seems.

    My wife's family are named Duffy. They had a slip at Cowan through the 70s and 80s.
    That one looks nice. That is exactly the type of back story you want to see on a used boat.

    They were there a little before me. My family started on Cowan in 92 and we moved in 05.

  10. #9
    * Bat Votto Second * goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    2,675

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

  11. #10
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    We ended up buying an O'day 23, a pretty good boat for weekend cruising. Here is a picture of it, on a mooring ball at Lake Monroe. And another of the first mate.



    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  12. #11
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    Hey Judge, My Dingy is bigger than your whole boat!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  13. #12
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: Sailing, anyone?

    Nice Caddyshack recall

    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25