Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 123

Thread: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

  1. #61
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Balentien does not have a polished resume, certainly. But he does have some upside still and his age is as such that he has room to continue to improve. He's definitely shown the ability to be a good player for the Reds since coming over. And he did have a good set of peripherals in the minors - lending credibility to the idea he could still do it on the Major League level.

    I think the comparison between the two is not just about what they are today, but what they could be in a year from now. Taveras would be an asset off the bench for the reasons you listed, but Dickerson is capable of providing those things anyhow, so no need for two of them.
    The problem is that he isn't going to get a chance to refine his skills. He's a 5th OFer on this team, getting 5 ABs per week.. He needs to play.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,422

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The problem is that he isn't going to get a chance to refine his skills. He's a 5th OFer on this team, getting 5 ABs per week.. He needs to play.
    The same goes for Taveras, so it comes down to this for me.... Do I want a pinch runner or a guy who can hit 495 foot HRs coming off of my bench as the 5th outfielder when even if your premise is right (and I would argue that its not) that both guys are going to continue to suck at finding first base. That isn't even a difficult decision given the roster we have.

  4. #63
    Member SMcGavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    You're probably right that we'd be able to forget about either Dickerson or Stubbs if they consistently OBP'd .375.
    Chris Dickerson's career OBP is .383.

  5. #64
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,398

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Unless Walt can figure out a deal for a solid 30 HR/100 RBI LF, I believe the plan is or at least should be Stubbs CF, Bruce RF and Gomes LF with Dickerson as the backup. They may get stuck with Willie T as the 5/6 OF unless they can deal him, but with the budget as it is, I don't think you are going to get any other CF then what is already in the system.

    I like Dickerson but he just can't stay healthy, so I wouldn't pencil him in for 500 abs.
    I know where to find one without having to give up a lot...

    Oh and anybody who is advocating Taveras on the roster needs to realize as soon as Stubbs struggles you will see Taveras begin to get ABs in CF and leading off.
    Last edited by reds44; 10-05-2009 at 04:06 PM.

  6. #65
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Chris Dickerson's career OBP is .383.
    Only due to his big 2008. He was something like .373 for 2009.

    That being said, if The Dusty would bat Dickerson leadoff and start him vs RHP, I'm completely fine with upgrading other positions of this ballclub.

    If The Dusty is going to give the majority of playing time in CF to Taveras or Stubbs, then we need to upgrade CF.

  7. #66
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Are we really going to hold Chris Dickerson back again? What does he have to do to prove himself for Pete's sakes?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  8. #67
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,422

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Only due to his big 2008. He was something like .373 for 2009.

    That being said, if The Dusty would bat Dickerson leadoff and start him vs RHP, I'm completely fine with upgrading other positions of this ballclub.

    If The Dusty is going to give the majority of playing time in CF to Taveras or Stubbs, then we need to upgrade CF.
    You do know that Stubbs was a slightly above average center fielder in his time with the Reds don't you? Sure, an upgrade to well above average would be nice, but if Drew Stubbs is on this team next year and repeats what he did this year he won't be anything remotely close to 'the problem' if the Reds aren't good.

  9. #68
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,586

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Balentien does not have a polished resume, certainly. But he does have some upside still and his age is as such that he has room to continue to improve. He's definitely shown the ability to be a good player for the Reds since coming over. And he did have a good set of peripherals in the minors - lending credibility to the idea he could still do it on the Major League level.

    I think the comparison between the two is not just about what they are today, but what they could be in a year from now. Taveras would be an asset off the bench for the reasons you listed, but Dickerson is capable of providing those things anyhow, so no need for two of them.
    For the most part, I really liked what I saw of Balentien in Cincy. Tremendously improved k/bb rate, good plate presence, solid d, good wheels.

    That said, go out and get Jason Bay.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  10. #69
    Member SMcGavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Are we really going to hold Chris Dickerson back again? What does he have to do to prove himself for Pete's sakes?
    I feel that Dickerson is very underappreciated on RZ. I understand the injury concerns with him, and wanting to keep someone else around as insurance. But as long as Dickerson is healthy, he needs to be starting in CF against RHP. If he performs close to what he's done so far in his MLB career, we can forget the "can Stubbs be league average talk" because Dickerson would be way above league average in that role.

  11. #70
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Are we really going to hold Chris Dickerson back again? What does he have to do to prove himself for Pete's sakes?
    I don't think anyone is holding Dickerson back from anything. Everyone thinks he's a valuable asset.

    But for now, Stubbs is performing every bit as well as Dickerson, maybe slightly better. Stubbs, unlike Dickerson, still has untapped potential to get even better. I'm not sure why you're so willing to trade a higher ceiling in favor of playing the similar floor - and that's nothing against Dickerson, but I believe Stubbs can provide similar production and more.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. #71
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The same goes for Taveras, so it comes down to this for me.... Do I want a pinch runner or a guy who can hit 495 foot HRs coming off of my bench as the 5th outfielder when even if your premise is right (and I would argue that its not) that both guys are going to continue to suck at finding first base. That isn't even a difficult decision given the roster we have.
    Wily Mo Part 2?

  13. #72
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I don't think anyone is holding Dickerson back from anything. Everyone thinks he's a valuable asset.

    But for now, Stubbs is performing every bit as well as Dickerson, maybe slightly better. Stubbs, unlike Dickerson, still has untapped potential to get even better. I'm not sure why you're so willing to trade a higher ceiling in favor of playing the similar floor - and that's nothing against Dickerson, but I believe Stubbs can provide similar production and more.
    In 355 Major League ABs Chris Dickerson has hit .285/.385/.442. That's what you think Drew Stubbs floor is?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  14. #73
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I know where to find one without having to give up a lot...

    Oh and anybody who is advocating Taveras on the roster needs to realize as soon as Stubbs struggles you will see Taveras begin to get ABs in CF and leading off.
    I would rather have a better roster / lesser manager than the other way around. It is easier to replace the manager than the roster.

  15. #74
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,422

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    In 355 Major League ABs Chris Dickerson has hit .285/.385/.442. That's what you think Drew Stubbs floor is?
    And most of that came in 2008 when Dickerson had a BABIP of .410. Dickerson again had a solid year in 2009, but also had a BABIP of .360. Is he that special player who can do that year in and year out? Doubtful. So look at what Dickerson is likely to do in the future. 10% walk rate, 25% strikeout rate and solid defense with 10-15 HR's. That is exactly what most people expect from Stubbs next year, if not with more power and better defense.

  16. #75
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And most of that came in 2008 when Dickerson had a BABIP of .410. Dickerson again had a solid year in 2009, but also had a BABIP of .360. Is he that special player who can do that year in and year out? Doubtful. So look at what Dickerson is likely to do in the future. 10% walk rate, 25% strikeout rate and solid defense with 10-15 HR's. That is exactly what most people expect from Stubbs next year, if not with more power and better defense.
    That might even be optomistic.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25