Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

Re: Drew Stubbs for CF in '10?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm a little confused why many want to dump Stubbs. He's an exceptionally high up side guy becuase of his GG playing defense and exceptional speed, neither of which slumps.

If he can hit even a little bit, he's an above average CF. The only knock on him in the minors was his slow developing power, and that seems to be improving since he hit the majors. He's always show the ability to take a walk and, after a slow start, he's regained that ability in the majors.

If he can OBA .320 and slug .380 he's a viable player in CF, likely one we aren't going to improve upon without giving up way too much.
    I'm not advocating "dumping" Stubbs. I just think that his ceiling is 3 win player, and I'm not real sure he can even reach that. So why not try to use him as the centerpiece of a deal that gets the Reds a solid 4-5 win player?

Maybe that is not doable, but I think it worth exploring. I think his performance in the majors has raised his stock significantly, probably higher that it should be, so why not see if the Reds can take advantage of it.

I do agree with KC61's worry that Dickerson may not be healthy enough to play everyday. But if the Reds get the right player back, it still might be worth it.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

So why not try to use him as the centerpiece of a deal that gets the Reds a solid 4-5 win player?
    Most likely the answer to this is $$$ and years under team control.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Put it this way -- you can't count on Dickerson because of his health history.
    Bingo. I like Dickerson a lot and I hope he gets healthy and gets some serious playing time. But you can't pin your hopes on someone who's been injured so often. Occasionally injured is one thing...but this is bordering on chronic.

I don't recall Dickerson being injury prone in the minors but I could be mistaken. Maybe this was just a tough year for him with respect to injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Gomes/Stubbs/Bruce across the OF next season with Dickerson spelling Gomes/Stubbs occasionally vs RHPs and being used as a PH off the bench and defensive replacement for Gomes.
    Dead on. I'd consider throwing Wlad into that backup mix too though.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I don't recall Dickerson being injury prone in the minors but I could be mistaken.
    Yeah, he was. Considerably so. I'd have to dig to get the info, but I recall it being revealed during spring training. I was surprised, but I never really followed his minor league career until AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Dead on. I'd consider throwing Wlad into that backup mix too though.
    Honestly, I might rather have Taveras here since he is already on the books. Balentien has little use in this set up. Taveras at least brings another dimension as the pinch runner off the bench. Balentien is a longshot. He might pan out or he might be a waste. But he would go into next year as the #5 (at best) and probably won't get much of a chance to bust out, a la Hamilton or Phillips, unless two OFers go down with injury.

He is the sexy choice to have on the bench, but odds are that he would be useless.

I hope Balentien sticks around. He played relatively well with the Reds (.779 OPS, decent defense). I'd take him over Taveras any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I hope Balentien sticks around. He played relatively well with the Reds (.779 OPS, decent defense). I'd take him over Taveras any day of the week.
    In a vacuum, sure. But he doesn't do one thing good enough to make the team better as a whole. At least Taveras does one thing better than the average player.

At least Taveras does one thing better than the average player.
    make outs at a historic rate?

Taveras serves no purpose on the roster. Chris Dickerson is a better hitter, better defender, and can provide speed off the bench. Balentien has some power and upside. Taveras should be no where near the 2010 roster. JMO.

Taveras serves no purpose on the roster. Chris Dickerson is a better hitter, better defender, and can provide speed off the bench. Balentien has some power and upside. Taveras should be no where near the 2010 roster. JMO.
    I agree with everything you said here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    make outs at a historic rate?
    Run fast.

But since you bring it up, Wlad has Willy beat at this point in their careers. That .281 OBP in 170 games is quite the feat.

Agreed on Dickerson, but if my first 4 OFers are Gomes, Stubbs, Bruce and Dickerson, I would strongly consider Taveras as my #5 if my only other choice is Balentien. If Balentien lives up to his career .221/.281/.374 line, he is 100% useless. Taveras at least has one use.

Run fast.

But since you bring it up, Wlad has Willy beat at this point in their careers. That .281 OBP in 170 games is quite the feat.
    Balentien does not have a polished resume, certainly. But he does have some upside still and his age is as such that he has room to continue to improve. He's definitely shown the ability to be a good player for the Reds since coming over. And he did have a good set of peripherals in the minors - lending credibility to the idea he could still do it on the Major League level.

I think the comparison between the two is not just about what they are today, but what they could be in a year from now. Taveras would be an asset off the bench for the reasons you listed, but Dickerson is capable of providing those things anyhow, so no need for two of them.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?