Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Are your leagues counting the Twins-Tigers game?

Are your leagues counting the Twins-Tigers game?

I finished in 2nd place in a 14 team that pays two people. The 3rd place team isn't far behind. We use ESPN for the league and ESPN has said they're counting Tuesday's game because it's still the regular season.

I hadn't even considered this as a possibility as I just assumed fantasy leagues ended yesterday. The 3rd place team went out and picked up every Tigers and Twins player that could play and put them in her lineup. It's not highly probable that she could catch me but after looking in more detail at the standings, she's close enough that it's not that far fetched. A good game from Carlose Guillen (who was on her team to begin with) could get her pretty close as I am standing still.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are your leagues counting the Twins-Tigers game?

Play in games should never count towards fantasy leagues.

I don't believe the play-in game counts in Yahoo leagues.

My personal opinion is that those stats should count because they are in fact regular season games according to MLB. Those stats count in the official regular season stats in real baseball, so they should count in fantasy baseball too.

Of course you still can't exceed your yearly games played and innings pitched limits. If you have already used 162 games at 1B then you won't get credit for the 163rd game. If you have already used your 1250 innings pitched for the season then the innings from the play-in game wouldn't count anyway.

My problem is more that she dropped all her other players, including the likes of Hanley Ramirez to pick up all the players who might play in tomorrow's game. THAT is what seems shady to me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I don't think it should count either. It gives a competitive advantage to anyone that drafted a Tiger or Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I don't think it should count either. It gives a competitive advantage to anyone that drafted a Tiger or Twin.
    Of course, players from better teams often have an advantage. A pitcher on the Dodgers is likely to end up with more wins or saves than if pitched for the Nationals....RBIs are dependent on having baserunners in scoring position, Reds players are more likely to hit HRs playing in GABP than a Padre is with PetCo, etc.

Theoretically, I think the stats should count too, but the league should have a set rule about it. This is the third year in a row there has been a 163rd game for someone. In reality, as A.D. noted above, most providers shut down after Sunday.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 10-06-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Check ESPN to see if they state anything on their site about it, but they probably don't. Our leagues always default to whatever rules the software has in place. So in any of my leagues, you'd be out of luck. There is really no way to make a rule one way or another right now without cheesing somebody off. IMO you got caught napping by not knowing the rules of the league, and she used them to her full advantage. While that does suck for you, kudos to her. (My leagues are all with people we are familiar with, so cutthroat is the name of the game. Cheating is not permitted in any way, but stretching the rules is not frowned upon.)

If you have room on your roster, you can either take the high road and pray, or pick up whomever you think will help your out. (Pinch hitters, relievers, etc.)

GL

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

We play in a CBS league- they counted it, and I could not have disagreed more, at least in regards to a head to head league.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

How'd this turn out for you?

Turn Off Ads?