Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball broadcasters.........

Baseball broadcasters.........

Al Leiter on the MLB Network is good, but he always sounds like he has a head cold.

Jim Powell on the Braves radio network has a buttery smooth voice, but his emotion is all wrong.

A REALLY good TV team is Joe Simpson and Jon Sciambi for the Braves...they are both funny guys, and you can tell they have fun, but they know their baseball too.

And Tim McCarver makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

discuss................
    Last edited by BigPoppa; 10-05-2009 at 11:26 PM.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball broadcasters.........

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    Al Leiter on the MLB Netork is good, but he always sounds like he has a head cold.

Jim Powell on the Braves radio network has a buttery smooth voice, but his emotion is all wrong.

A REALLY good TV team is Joe Simpson and Jon Sciambi for the Braves...they are both funny guys, and you can tell they have fun, but they know their baseball too.

And Tim McCarver makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I would agree on McCarver, but my reaction is much more severe. He makes my head hurt really, really, bad. Joe Morgan on the other hand is phenominal. Ueker makes me cry, he's so hilarious!!

discuss................

I have always liked Chip Caray.

Skip Carey used to make me want to crush my radio, due to his biased broadcasting with his nasal southern accent. It was amazing, in his eyes Braves pitchers NEVER threw a ball, always a strike in his eyes no matter what, and a Braves runner was ALWAYS safe, even if he were out by a mile. I used to love to listen to him when he had to wrap up a game after a Braves loss, you could tell he was pissed!

jhc2010 = "I have always liked Chip Caray"

OUCH!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/sp...20caray&st=cse

DISCUSS......

EDIT: Photo added

Last edited by goreds2; 10-14-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added photo
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    jhc2010 = "I have always liked Chip Caray"

OUCH!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/sp...20caray&st=cse

DISCUSS......

EDIT: Photo added

Sweet picture..........3 generations of BIG eyeglasses !!

Harry was a legend, but Skip and Chip.....
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Harry may be a legend, but as a broadcaster (at least in the years I heard him) he left a lot to be desired. Here is an actual radio call by Harry sometime in the late days of his career. Bases loaded, one out..."FAIR BALL..........HE'S SAFE!!!"
    Then about 10 seconds later we get a shred or two of what really happened.
    I lived up around Chicago from 1975-1999 & I heard a LOT of Harry Caray. Way too much, in fact.
    If anybody cares, I really like(d) Vin Scully (who has lost a lot lately, I'm hearing) & Ray Scott, who used to do Twins games, but was best known for the NFL Packers games he did.

Vin Scully still sounded good during the DIVISION playoff series listening on XM Radio. Amazing after all these years he is still that good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_Scully
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I always loved listening to Kalas. But for my money right now, I dont want any other tandem than Marty and Jeff. Both compliment each other in the sense that neither is afarid to correct the other, and their styles are very different.

I concur with regards to Harry Karay. He is a legend but I only heard him in his later years. And by then he had slid pretty far back down the hill.

part of BBN

I would listen to Chip Caray any day over Joe "Boring " Buck. Buck sounds boring whatever sport he is doing but people in the media act like he is the greatest.
    Jack Buck was great and I always enjoyed listening to him. I heard him do STL games alot and MNF on the radio with Hank Stram as well as special stuff like playoffs etc. However...Joe Buck does nothing for me.

I could do without Buck or McCarver, they both suck.!!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?