Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mets Looking For Bad Contracts: Arroyo? Cordero?

Re: Mets Looking For Bad Contracts: Arroyo? Cordero?

I think you see how the Mets are desperate.

Then say no.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    If that's the case, I say no deal. Unless a team's offering something good, I'm not just giving guys away. I understand the salaries make things tight, but we shouldn't be in the "bucket of balls" market or pipsqueak minor leaguers. Real stuff should be the order of the day.
    I agree. But some teams will have to cut payroll and will be looking for big market teams to take on a bad contract.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

The only contract we still have on the books that is truly bad is Taveras, and I don't see the Mets taking him. Arroyo will earn every penny of his contract next year, just as he did this season. Cordero may appear overpriced, but in case you haven't noticed there aren't enough solid closers to go around...I count the Reds lucky that our high priced closer actually performs. I fully expect the Reds to begin next season with the same players we currently have in the organization. If they get rid of Taveras, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I know they have a closer, but I would take less than middling prospects for Cordero, and I would take better than middling prospects for Arroyo, if they picked up their entire contracts.

I would give them Taveras if they took him and his entire contract.
    The Mets not only have K-Rod, but they got J.J. Putz as well. They also have Bobby Parnell, who had good numbers. I can't imagine that they would want to take on the Cordero contract. Frankly, I think we saw in July and August that nobody was willing to give us anything of value for that contract. It is just too expensive for a closer, and other than the two L.A. teams, Chicago, New York, or Boston, no other GM who is trying to build a winning team on a limited payroll can afford to take on that kind on burden. Admittedly the burden is getting lighter as we are two years into the contract, and Cordero is holding up well so far, but still....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Cordero and cash for Michael Taylor from the Phils.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Sold. Taylor would be a coup. Power hitter with patience, wheels, and leather? Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I imagine the Phils would love to take Cordero off the Reds' hands this offseason.
    Fine, I'd like J.A. Happ in return.

You don't give away pitching unless you get pitching.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Both Harang's and Arroyo's contracts are for one year, plus a team option. So, we have 1year of real risk, but a potential two years if they perform well.

Cordero has two years left on his contract, but had fewer blown saves in the NL than any of the top 5-6 save leaders.

They may be making quite a bit, but each is likely quite important to any success we might have going forward.

What would we do with the extra money we saved? Sign a Pettitte or a Pineiro to a longer term, just as expensive contract? Bring in a bunch of Taveras' or Gomes' and hope we get lucky?

It's not likely we are going to trade one of these guys for much value, and then sign their replacements for cheaper money. If we could, so could the team trading for them. We've assmbled a fairly good pitching staff. I don't see much reason to dismantle it.

Turn Off Ads?