Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is it possible few changes are made?

Is it possible few changes are made?

I know that some things will be done this off season and I know that it's likely that improvements are needed for the Reds to contend in 2010.But how much really needs done?I only ask because at some point during the off season the front office will point at the horrible July the team had and excuse it due to injuries, claim that a highly competitive team has already been assembled and head into spring training with few changes made.How wrong will they be?I for one don't think that they're that wrong but it does seem like a move or 2 is needed.

I don't think the catching spot that will need filled is that much of an issue.Hannigan can imo be at least average and signing a capable back up to a 1 year deal shouldn't be that hard or expensive considering there will be plenty of options in free agency.There is certainly plenty of garbage out there to but we're not looking for an all star.I like Jason Kendall here.

The SS position is the biggest issue.I don't know what the team will do but hopefully Janish is not one of their top options.I still think Phillips is the best option all things considered.I know that Walt likes DeRosa and he's a free agent this summer.Put him at second and be done with it.

The only questions in the OF imo is how much we will end up paying Gomes and if Taveras will be released.I think a team like the Reds have to hope that Bruce lives up to his potential and becomes an all star.If that happens they have an average to above average OF with Bruce,Gomes,Dickerson,Stubbs and pick anyone from the list of other in house candidates.

The starting pitching is capable of being the strength and with any luck will be.To upgrade would cost the team too much money and simply would not make sense considering the other weaknesses and most of all payroll restraints.To upgrade would likely mean that no other moves would be made.

So that's not much.Not a ton of money spent.No huge trades that are unlikely to happen.IMO something very close to what we can expect next year.I know Phillips going to SS would be unexpected but my hope is that they come to their senses and make the move.So with this team I'm talking about do the Reds have a realistic chance to compete in 2010?

CF Dickerson/Stubbs
    SS Phillips
    1b Votto
    3b Rolen
    2b DeRosa
    RF Bruce
    LF Gomes
    C Hannigan/Kendall

SP Arroyo
    SP Bailey
    SP Cueto
    SP Harang
    SP Maloney

RP Cordero
    RP Masset
    RP Rhodes
    RP Herrera
    RP Fisher
    RP Burton
    RP Owings

Bench:Fransico/Janish//Dickerson/Kendall/Rosalas

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Is it possible few changes are made?

It's very possible few changes are made to this roster between now and Opening Day 2010.

In fact, I completely expect it.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

What you saw at the end of this season will most likely be what you see come Opening Day. Stubbs is the CFer and Janish is the SS. I can't see them spending extra money when these two provide steller defense and the Reds are crossing there fingers that Janish can hit 39 points higher then this year. As long as his OBP is .350 i'm fine with it. I agree Hanigan needs a back up but he is my Opening Day starter.

I see the Reds signing Dave Duncan as pitching coach and perhaps a SP to give Maloney and Owings some competition for number 5. I'd love to see Gomes back. I think this team has a lot to prove and if the Reds do bring in Duncan.. they need to put more offense out on the field then Scott Rolen and his 11 million. Cough.. Juan Francisco might be haunting the reds for that move.. Cough. I like every year hope the Reds finish with a winning record but 2010 might infact be that year. If the stars align right..

With the in house options only thread and this one it looks like we are bracing ourselves for a very quite winter.Maybe my idea that we would actually add 2 guys from outside the organization was a little ambitious.

Frankly, I would be shocked if substantive changes were made this offseason.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?