Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Yonder Alonso ranked as FSL's 4th best prospect by BA

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yonder Alonso ranked as FSL's 4th best prospect by BA

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/268968.html

1. Mike Stanton, of, Jupiter (Marlins)
    2. Jesus Montero, c, Tampa (Yankees)
    3. Domonic Brown, of, Clearwater (Phillies)
    4. Yonder Alonso, 1b, Sarasota (Reds)
    5. Kyle Drabek, rhp, Clearwater (Phillies)
    6. Starlin Castro, ss, Daytona (Cubs)
    7. Jenrry Mejia, rhp, St. Lucie (Mets)
    8. Ben Revere, of, Fort Myers (Twins)
    9. Ike Davis, 1b, St. Lucie (Mets)
    10. Austin Romine, c, Tampa (Yankees)
    11. Carlos Gutierrez, rhp, Fort Myers (Twins)
    12. Matt Dominguez, 3b, Jupiter (Marlins)
    13. Kirk Nieuwenhuis, of, St. Lucie (Mets)
    14. Josh Vitters, 3b, Daytona (Cubs)
    15. David Bromberg, rhp, Fort Myers (Twins)
    16. Caleb Gindl, of, Brevard County (Brewers)
    17. Chris Parmelee, 1b, Fort Myers (Twins)
    18. Shane Peterson, of, Palm Beach (Cardinals)
    19. Freddy Galvis, ss, Clearwater (Phillies)
    20. Mark Rogers, rhp, Brevard County (Brewers)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yonder Alonso ranked as FSL's 4th best prospect by BA

Do you take quality over quantity? Hypothetically speaking which would u rather have the number four or numbers 9,13 and 18? Something along those lines?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Do you take quality over quantity? Hypothetically speaking which would u rather have the number four or numbers 9,13 and 18? Something along those lines?
    I take quality. Especially considering this example where Alonso is inside the Top 20 in all of baseball, while those guys are all likely sitting on the outside of the Top 100 (maybe Davis sneaks in).

Some Reds questions:

Brad (MO): Could Votto or Alonso handle an outfield corner, or will a trade have to take place for both to play everyday?

J.J. Cooper: Votto could more than Alonso. Pretty much it's a universal belief that Alonso is a first baseman and a first baseman only. But do you ask the established big leaguer to move to a position he's played very little (even in the minors) to make room for a rookie? That would be a tough task for the Reds management. When Votto came up to the big leagues there were those who thought he'd be a better left fielder than first baseman, so it is possible.

JAYPERS (not ILL): Why the lack of pitchers in the top 20?

J.J. Cooper: I touched on this above, but the problem was almost all of the best pitchers in the FSL were promoted out of the league just a start or two before they would have qualified. Zach Stewart and Andrew Cashner would have ranked right behind Drabek on this list and Jay Jackson, Brad Holt, Mauricio Robles and Chris Carpenter would have all made the Top 20 as well. Add those six pitchers to the Top 20 and it would have been a pitcher-heavy list.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Always quality over quantity.

Keep your Walmart junk.

I'll take Tiffany's.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Where to play Alonso makes the pick all the more puzzling, especially when Beckham was available.

Draft Beckham and Zach Stewart is still in the organization and there is still a little payroll flexibility (with no Rolen) to add a decent FA this offseason.

How about we trade Alonso for Dominic Brown and throw in the chaff to make up the difference between #3 & #4.

Philly doesn't need a 1b either

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Where to play Alonso makes the pick all the more puzzling, especially when Beckham was available.

Draft Beckham and Zach Stewart is still in the organization and there is still a little payroll flexibility (with no Rolen) to add a decent FA this offseason.
    They will play Alonso at first base.They didn't draft Beckham because they liked Alonso more.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They will play Alonso at first base.They didn't draft Beckham because they liked Alonso more.
    I think you're wrong about Alonso if you're implying they'll move Votto to LF to accommodate him. I think Alonso is trade bait.

And the fact they liked Alonso more than Beckham isn't encouraging in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I think you're wrong about Alonso if you're implying they'll move Votto to LF to accommodate him. I think Alonso is trade bait.

And the fact they liked Alonso more than Beckham isn't encouraging in any way.
    It seems that Baseball America thinks I am more right than you do. As for liking Alonso more than Beckham.... I don't see the big deal at all. Beckham is a third baseman. Alonso is a first baseman. Alonso projects to hit a little better than Beckham does. Beckham has a little more defensive value. Overall, their values will be quite similar.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It seems that Baseball America thinks I am more right than you do. As for liking Alonso more than Beckham.... I don't see the big deal at all. Beckham is a third baseman. Alonso is a first baseman. Alonso projects to hit a little better than Beckham does. Beckham has a little more defensive value. Overall, their values will be quite similar.
    Has Alonso learned to hit lefties yet? I read somewhere that he still is a question mark until he learns how to hit lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Has Alonso learned to hit lefties yet? I read somewhere that he still is a question mark until he learns how to hit lefties.
    His strikeout and walk rates are fantastic against lefties. He has such a small sample size against lefties that nothing else really matters at this point. He can obviously differentiate balls and strikes from lefties. He will be fine.

Turn Off Ads?