Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

Neftali Soto, Catcher?

From the BA Florida State League chat:

Deywane (Memphis): What happened to Neftali Soto, is he still a prospect?

J.J. Cooper: Still a prospect, but less of one then he was a year ago. He has good hand-eye coordination and plus power but his lack of first-step quickness means he's not a third baseman long term. And some opposing managers and scouts were not impressed with the effort he put out. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Reds try him at catcher where he may profile better

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    From the BA Florida State League chat:

Deywane (Memphis): What happened to Neftali Soto, is he still a prospect?

J.J. Cooper: Still a prospect, but less of one then he was a year ago. He has good hand-eye coordination and plus power but his lack of first-step quickness means he's not a third baseman long term. And some opposing managers and scouts were not impressed with the effort he put out. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Reds try him at catcher where he may profile better
    Well that would certainly be interesting to see.

I like it...

Could the NL Central handle two Soto's at catcher???? Inquiring minds want to know.

This is the knock I've had about soto all along. He's not a 3b from all accounts, even more so this year. That being the case, I always said that put a huge question mark on his value as a prospect. I figured they would move him off 3b which would put a ding in his overall worth. But.. I never seriously considered him at catcher. If he could catch, its conceivable his value could actually go up. Intresting for sure..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Enter pro ball as a SS, ending up a C....but I like it

It's more than the stick, though. You gotta have the defense and a leadership mentality. Soto brings questions on both fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    It's more than the stick, though. You gotta have the defense and a leadership mentality. Soto brings questions on both fronts.
    Yup. If effort is not his thing, catcher is not his position. But then, what is?

i think this would be a very smart move.

what about Cisco at catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Enter pro ball as a SS, ending up a C....but I like it
    I believe that was the route Russell Martin took, I don't think I'd be too upset with him as my everyday catcher.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    what about Cisco at catcher?
    Not enough time. He only has 2 years to be ready to stay in the majors forever.

I like it, but isn't a little late for this idea to be put forth for Soto?

I think it is a bad idea to make Soto a catcher.

Soto had a disappointing season. He hasn't hit for power, doesn't walk, and this year didn't have his usual good BA. But he played in a tough hitter's league and was young for the level.

No reason to make panic moves with this kid, who probably never caught an inning in his life. Let him work on his hitting. That high average hitter we saw in the lower minors may reappear. With maturity and, perhaps in a more hitting friendly league, his knack for hitting could well return.

I don't see how it helps the situation to start from scratch by making him a catcher now. There's no reason for it. If his good hitting returns, there will be a spot for him someplace defensively.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-07-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think it is a bad idea to make Soto a catcher.

Soto had a disappointing season. He hasn't hit for power, doesn't walk, and this year didn't have his usual good BA. But he played in a tough hitter's league and was young for the level.

No reason to make panic moves with this kid, who probably never caught an inning in his life. Let him work on his hitting. That high average hitter we saw in the lower minors may reappear. With maturity and, perhaps in a more hitting friendly league, his knack for hitting could well return.

I don't see how it helps the situation to start from scratch by making him a catcher now. There's no reason for it. If his good hitting returns, there will be a spot for him someplace defensively.
    I don't want to the Reds to operate under the old plan of "if you can hit, we'll find a place for you." I want them to field a competent defensive team.

Having said that, if Soto could catch, he'd have a lot more value there than as the COF/CIF he is right now.

Turn Off Ads?