Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brad Boxberger

1 0.83%
  • Zack Cozart

1 0.83%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.67%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Matt Fairel

0 0%
  • Josh Fellhauer

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

1 0.83%
  • Chris Heisey

39 32.50%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Matt Klinker

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

3 2.50%
  • Devin Mesoraco

0 0%
  • Mark Serrano

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

1 0.83%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

1 0.83%
  • Chris Valaika

1 0.83%
  • Travis Wood

69 57.50%
  • other - name him

1 0.83%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso
    Prospect #2 - Mike Leake
    Prospect #3 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect #4 - Juan Francisco
    Prospect #5 - Yorman Rodriguez

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Wood and Heisey had great years at advanced levels. (Especially Wood-- those numbers at AA are ridiculous.) Duran has a world of talent (apparently), but no record of success at all.

Who else is even in the discussion?

Cozart? I find it hard to believe a mid 700 OPS bat-- even as a plus defensive SS-- is this high on anyone's list.

Soto? He didn't hit at all in High A though, to be fair, it could be at least in part because of the league and park.

Sulburan, Hamilton, Fellhauer, Joseph, and Boxberger have little to no track record, while Dorn, Mesoraco, Valaika, et al didn't exactly cover themselves with laurels this season.

Big drop, IMO, at this point.

I went with Wood, again. I really like what Heisey has done, but like Maloney, he's no spring chicken and his upside his limited. At least Wood has youth on his side.

Cozart will probably be next on my list followed by the Maloney, Heisey, Dorn group of guys with high floors but low ceilings.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

As much as I love Heisey--especially his intangibles--I have to stick with Wood.

As for Scrap's question of who else should be in the discussion . . . I started to say that Ondrusek should be. But I see that he's not on the list yet. I'd like to recommend him as the next addition. Donnie Joseph is already on; and while I don't disagree with that, you could easily argue that Ondrusek is the best relief prospect in the system.

I'm also ready for Juan Silva to make the list. His combination of youth and production compares very favorably.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I'm not sold on Heisey as much as others, so I went with the safe choice, which I felt was Travis Wood.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Chris Heisey.

Cozart
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I took Maloney again. I like him better than Wood for the fact that he IS older and experienced, still only 25, on the cusp of the majors (I think he's the #5 next April), and has been consistently good (if not a bit slow growing).

I know Wood has bounced back from a rough 2008, but his AAA numbers still suffer a bit next to Maloney.

Once Matt gets to Cincy, if he can gain confidence, I think he fits the Reds well with low bb rates. Like Harang, if he gets beat, it won't be with the bases juiced very often.

He also has over Wood a size advantage and is pretty good with the bat, small things to add.

This is the first time I've seen someone like a prospect more because he's older. I think Maloney is underrated, but I still have to go with Wood.

He also has over Wood a size advantage and is pretty good with the bat, small things to add.
    Wood is a good hitter too. Very athletic little guy, kinda like Leake.

I want to second Juan Silva being added to the list. I went with Wood again here. And I'll probably go with Heisey next. But Silva is right there for being a candidate for my choice after Heisey.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

For me it was a coin flip between Wood and Heisey. I ended up opting for Wood since he's a bit younger but IMHO the two are pretty much interchangeable here.

I voted Heisey, but does anyone think trading Heisey in the near future would be a smart move? Stubbs likely trumps Heisey in centerfield going forward. Options such as Frazier or Votto could likely provide better production in left. Heisey looks at least like a future average centerfielder, but I'm not seeing where he fits in here.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I voted Heisey, but does anyone think trading Heisey in the near future would be a smart move? Stubbs likely trumps Heisey in centerfield going forward. Options such as Frazier or Votto could likely provide better production in left. Heisey looks at least like a future average centerfielder, but I'm not seeing where he fits in here.
    I think there is a chance he gets moved. With all of the options that the Reds have, if a package of strong prospects gets moved by the Reds soon it wouldn't surprise me. Heisey may be included, or he may have a spot open up because someone else was.

I think there is a chance he gets moved. With all of the options that the Reds have, if a package of strong prospects gets moved by the Reds soon it wouldn't surprise me. Heisey may be included, or he may have a spot open up because someone else was.
    I agree. The team is developing some surplus in their young position players. I don't think Jocketty sits on it forever.

Turn Off Ads?