Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,686

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Well, it would seem to mean that unless they trade those guys (Frazier, Francisco, Soto), they've pretty much wasted their top prospects. Just doesn't seem very efficient.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,246

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Well, it would seem to mean that unless they trade those guys (Frazier, Francisco, Soto), they've pretty much wasted their top prospects. Just doesn't seem very efficient.
    They may make a trade. They may just use them differently than you expected.

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,064

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Well, it would seem to mean that unless they trade those guys (Frazier, Francisco, Soto), they've pretty much wasted their top prospects. Just doesn't seem very efficient.
    I wouldn't loop Fraizer in their considering his versatility and Soto is such a long ways off at this moment(coming off a bad year in High A), that even if he does make it, we are looking at 2012-2013, and by then personal will be much different.

  5. #34
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,374

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    I think Soto as a catcher is worth the risk. It certainly would be a bold move and might light a fire under the Reds current catching "prospects".
    Suck it up cupcake.

  6. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Why not try him in leftfield? Although I think the Reds should be patient with him at 3B for another 50 games next year before changing his position.

  7. #36
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think Soto as a catcher is worth the risk. It certainly would be a bold move and might light a fire under the Reds current catching "prospects".
    Wait, you mean that Mesoraco might not be the answer @ C?

  8. #37
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,374

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Wait, you mean that Mesoraco might not be the answer @ C?
    I'm saying Mes is irrelevant to the discussion. If Soto is converted, you keep him at High A. Mes will be in AA more than likely. If Soto can handle the position, great. If both do well, even better.

    Mes was a HS pick. I can wait on HS position players. He isn't a bust yet, and time is actually on his side. ESPECIALLY in this organization.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  9. #38
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm saying Mes is irrelevant to the discussion. If Soto is converted, you keep him at High A. Mes will be in AA more than likely. If Soto can handle the position, great. If both do well, even better.

    Mes was a HS pick. I can wait on HS position players. He isn't a bust yet, and time is actually on his side. ESPECIALLY in this organization.
    But with Hanigan being the only legit catching option we have, I'd argue that we need Mesoraco to be ready sooner than later, and he doesn't have time on his side.

    Should prove interesting to see if and how Soto pans out as a catcher.

    Todd Frazier doesn't have a position, can he catch?

  10. #39
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,374

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    But with Hanigan being the only legit catching option we have, I'd argue that we need Mesoraco to be ready sooner than later, and he doesn't have time on his side.

    Should prove interesting to see if and how Soto pans out as a catcher.

    Todd Frazier doesn't have a position, can he catch?
    He absolutely has time on his side. I'm thinking he doesn't even need to be protected for another three years. He's what... 20? He's got time. He'll either pan out or he won't it's not like he's 23 and at A ball. The Reds needs in this case aren't as important as him developing period. Someone will catch. Hanigan, Denove, Tatum, whoever.

    I wish the Reds and fans would stop looking at "windows" in terms of being successful. The Twins don't look at windows, they just look at wins.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Mesoraco isn't going to be ready in a couple years. He's a long-term project who may pan out. There's absolutely no need to rush him at all. No, the Reds are going to have to either draft a ready-made catcher or sign one and hope.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  12. #41
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He absolutely has time on his side. I'm thinking he doesn't even need to be protected for another three years. He's what... 20? He's got time. He'll either pan out or he won't it's not like he's 23 and at A ball. The Reds needs in this case aren't as important as him developing period. Someone will catch. Hanigan, Denove, Tatum, whoever.

    I wish the Reds and fans would stop looking at "windows" in terms of being successful. The Twins don't look at windows, they just look at wins.
    Fair enough.

    The premise of my argument stems from the Reds drafting Mesoraco out of need.

    If they really did draft him out of need, then they need him sooner than later.

    If they didn't draft him out of need, then let him find himself in the minors, since he is in fact very young.

  13. #42
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,374

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Fair enough.

    The premise of my argument stems from the Reds drafting Mesoraco out of need.

    If they really did draft him out of need, then they need him sooner than later.

    If they didn't draft him out of need, then let him find himself in the minors, since he is in fact very young.
    I think C was an organizational need, not just a MLB need, hence the pick. He may have been a reach, but he's still young enough to be a top ten Reds prospect in a year or two. 2010, if he is at AA will be kinda telling. Not the whole stry kind of telling, but we'll get a better picture.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  14. #43
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,246

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    I think Mesoraco is being a bit underrated around here. His defense, is good right now. He is throwing out runners at a high rate, lowered his passed balls and got good reports from everyone this year. Offensively, he hit for more power than anyone not named Alonso in Sarasota, had a 10% walk rate and a 22% strikeout rate. Project those things out, they are going to look good when BABIP works itself out.

  15. #44
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    I think he'll be trade bait if he puts up good numbers this year.

  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    976

    Re: Neftali Soto, Catcher?

    When the Baseball America Reds top 30 prospects list comes out, Mesoraco will be listed at number 30.

    I do not feel that Mesoraco was drafted based on need at catcher. There were several teams that had Mesoraco graded at the point he was taken in the first round. Several scouts have told me that if the Reds had not taken Mesoraco, he would have been taken by someone else within the next few picks.

    Actually, I don't think you would see a high school player drafted because of a positional need anytime really. Some may disagree with that.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25