Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do in the Offseason?

Re: What to do in the Offseason?

Ok guys i dont know if its possible, but what about Grady Sizemore, I Feel the Indians are rebuilding and they want to rebuild quick, whould you tade Stubbs + Wood + Frazier fo Sizemore? than we can trade for JJ Hardy, maybe Harang for JJ Hardy, After that trade Matt Moloney + Chris Valaika for Francisco Liriano

1.CF Grady Sizemore
    2.SS JJ Hardy
    3.1B Joey Votto
    4.2B Brandon Phillips
    5.3B Scott Rolen
    6.RF Jay Bruce
    7.LF Chris Hiesey
    8.C Ramon Hernandez

1. Johny Cueto
    2. Homer Bailey
    3. Bronson Arroyo
    4. Francisco Liriano
    5. FA or Micah Owings

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    Ok guys i dont know if its possible, but what about Grady Sizemore, I Feel the Indians are rebuilding and they want to rebuild quick, whould you tade Stubbs + Wood + Frazier fo Sizemore? than we can trade for JJ Hardy, maybe Harang for JJ Hardy, After that trade Matt Moloney + Chris Valaika for Francisco Liriano
    I wouldn't mind giving up Valaika and Maloney for Liriano, but what's with the obsession with this guy? He hasn't ever thrown more than 140 innings in a season and really only had one good year (2006). He might benefit from a move to the NL, but I'm not sure that he's much of an upgrade over what we've already got.

Also, I like Sizemore a lot, but I'd much rather save the prospects and stick with an outfield of Bruce/Stubbs/Heisey and see what happens. If the Reds are going to blow some prospects in the off season, they need to use them to obtain a cornerstone player at the SS position.

If the outfield is still an issue at the AS Break and the Reds are in contention (and I believe they will be if they get a real SS), they can use some of their remaining prospects to pick up a corner OF. It's much easier to pick up a corner guy before the deadline than it is to get a legitimate SS.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't understand the obsession with JJ Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I don't understand the obsession with JJ Hardy.
    I'd agree with you on that. On the one hand, I do believe that Hardy is an above average SS (offensively and defensively) who is durable. There's definitely value in that, but I don't really think that Hardy is an impact type of player.

Someone on the ORG posted a Marcier Izturis + Brian Fuentes for Francisco Cordero, i think it works for both sides, we get a SS, and a closer

1. Drew Stubbs
    2. Marcier Izturis
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Brandon Phillips
    5. Scott Rolen
    6. Jay Bruce
    7. Johny Gomes
    8. Ramon Hernandez

I'm not totally opposed to that trade. Fuentes makes $9M in both '10 and '11 (vesting option). His numbers are very good and it saves $3M over Cordero.

According to Cot's baseball contracts, Izturis is not signed for '10, so he should be a free agent. He made $1.6M last season.

It is more of a money saving trade than anything. Izturis doesn't excite me at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    1. Trade Alonso, Harang, Valaika to the Mets for SS Jose Reyes. The Mets ended the season with 3 starting pitchers on the longterm DL. They need starting pitching. They also need a first baseman and will need a future SS to replace Reyes. Harang+Alonso make $13.5M next season and Reyes makes $9.5M. This equals a savings of $4M. Reyes has a career batting average of .286 and his an OBP over .350 the past 4 seasons, along with over 300 stolen bases, while only turning 27 years old next season. I realize he's coming off an injury, but he did return to the field at the end of the season. Many Reds observers have soured on Harang, as he posts a mid-4.00 e.r.a. Mets first baseman, Carlos Delgado spent nearly the entire season on the DL with a hip impingement, and turns 38 soon. Mets should be looking for a quality first baseman to replace him (Alonso). Alonso is blocked by Votto ahead of him anyway.

2. Trade Cordero for anything to free up $12.125M. I like CoCo, but his salary doesn't fit our small market team. Closer by committee starting with Masset, Rhodes, and Herrera.

3. Trade Juan Francisco, Enerio Del Rosario, Danny Dorn, Travis Wood, and Logan Ondrusek to the Padres for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. Francisco is the Reds best minor league power hitter and should probably end up being a first baseman anyway. He could be their replacement for Gonzalez. Rosario has flown through the minors posting improving numbers all along the way. Ondrusek has flown through the minors with dominating numbers also, and is currently the Reds best relief prospect. Dorn has potential but has nowhere to go with the glut of OFers the Reds have. Wood is the best minor league starting pitcher the Reds have and is on the verge of the majors right now. 5 quality prospects. Gonzalez gives the Reds the legitimate power hitter they need, and he's only 27 years old. He has averaged 32 HR's and 100 rbi over the past 4 season with a career batting average of .277. He had a career year this past season while hitting on a bad offensive team. He is due to make approximately $5M this next season and $5.5M in '11.

3. Move Votto to LF to make room for Gonzalez.

4. Re-sign Hernandez at a lower deal, possibly $2M.

Savings of $4M in Reyes for Harang/Alonso deal. Savings of $12M by trading Cordero. Add $5M by trading for Gonzalez. Sign Hernandez = $2M or more. Approximate savings of $9M or maybe less if Hernandez requires more.

CF Stubbs
    SS Reyes
    LF Votto
    1B Gonzalez
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    C Hanigan/Hernandez

Stubbs and Reyes make a dangerous pair of speedsters at the top of the lineup. Phillips can steal a base or two also.

Votto, Gonzalez, Bruce could all hit 25 to 40 HR's. Phillips could hit 20-25 HR's. Rolen might still have it in him with this lineup.

Starting pitching:
    Arroyo - wish he could pitch an entire season like his second half.
    Cueto - good when not overworked
    Bailey - might be our best pitcher
    Maloney - LH Arroyo
    Lehr - no worse than Owings

Edit:
    You could avoid #3 if the Reds were willing to move Votto to LF and put Francisco on 1B. I think Juan would thrive at 1B, and I think Joey would be fine in LF. Juan would be the future power hitter and you could avoid trading all that talent away, namely Travis Wood and Del Rosario. Lance Berkman bounced from OF to 1B all through his career. Joey could do it.
    errr, never mind, I re-read what you had proposed and saw I had missed something.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    Someone on the ORG posted a Marcier Izturis + Brian Fuentes for Francisco Cordero, i think it works for both sides, we get a SS, and a closer

1. Drew Stubbs
    2. Marcier Izturis
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Brandon Phillips
    5. Scott Rolen
    6. Jay Bruce
    7. Johny Gomes
    8. Ramon Hernandez
    I also like this trade idea. I'd rather trade Cordero to the Angels without having to take Fuentes but I doubt they'd trade for Cordero without unloading Fuentes' contract.

As far as the offseason goes. I don't see us making any free agent moves outside of resigning Hernandez or a backup catcher. If we add a player it'll be through trades.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

I think out of the Big 3 Harang needs to be the one traded and he should go back to his hometown for SP Chris Young straight up

Then i have also heard the rumor about trading taveras and lincoln over to the white sox for linebrink..Why not?that sounds like a great trade and linebrink can take over weathers spot from last year.

After that put a strong package together of Nick Masset,Chris Dickerson,Juan Francisco, Matt Maloney, and Chris Valaika over to either the Braves for Yunel Escobar and Jair Jurrjens or over to the Rays for Reid Brignac and BJ Upton or over to D-Backs for Stephen Drew and Chris Young.....Upton or Young could play left field for us

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    I think out of the Big 3 Harang needs to be the one traded and he should go back to his hometown for SP Chris Young straight up

Then i have also heard the rumor about trading taveras and lincoln over to the white sox for linebrink..Why not?that sounds like a great trade and linebrink can take over weathers spot from last year.

After that put a strong package together of Nick Masset,Chris Dickerson,Juan Francisco, Matt Maloney, and Chris Valaika over to either the Braves for Yunel Escobar and Jair Jurrjens or over to the Rays for Reid Brignac and BJ Upton or over to D-Backs for Stephen Drew and Chris Young.....Upton or Young could play left field for us
    I see no reason to trade for an outfielder, nor do I think those teams would part their OFers. We have Stubbs, Bruce, Dickerson, Tavares (hopefully gone), possibly Gomes, Balentien, Heisey, Francisco (learning LF), and even Danny Dorn.............plus I thought you were giving up too much.

I like this rumor of a ChiSox trade. Not because we need another OF, but because anything's better than Taveras and Lincoln.

I would like to see the Reds make a trade with the Twins to pick up either Morlales or Wilson Ramos. The twins are loaded with starting catchers. Mauer, Rosales and now here comes Ramos who tore up the Eastern League this past year and now is tearing up the Vennezuela Winter league. Thetwins look weak at second and third, and maybe with a fourth outfielder. Neither Morales or Ramos will be cheap to obtain, but the Reds could offer a combination of Francisco, Sutton, Heisey or Fraizer. The reds could also ask for Steve Singleton who looks like he might be a pretty good SS based on his AA performance and the Arizona league this year.

I am not saying offering everyone, but the Reds and Twins could help each other a lot.

I would like a deal with Twins based around Liriano coming this way since he had off year and could use a change of venue.

Turn Off Ads?