Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Connecting To Home Network Issue

Connecting To Home Network Issue

Alright one of you computer experts - I need some assistance.

My daughter has a Toshiba laptop TECRA A8-EZ8511. Now, for some reason, it sees my network, yet won't connect. My network is WEP security-enabled and requires a password. But I can't get it to give me the prompt where I enter that password. The little computer icon in the task bar is in the acquire mode (little yellow ball) trying to validate identity; but it goes no further then that.

I've removed the network from the Network list, and it then tells me it has found my network, so I tell it to connect. But again, I never get the prompt to enter my password so it's basically sitting in the "validating identity" mode, which is never comes out of.

Any help would be appreciated.

I use the Linksys broadband N series router. I have cable modem internet. I'm not having any trouble with any of my other computers connecting to the network.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Connecting To Home Network Issue

If I remember right, most linksys home routers have a discovery button, for lack of a better term, that will temp open the router so you can get a key.

Otherwise, you need to log in to the router as the admin and check your settings.

Another thing to try is direct connect via rj 45 cable, or ethernet cable. See if you can get to to prompt for WEP key then.

If all that doesn't work, always google the problem. Chances are, someone else has had this issue and has talked about it and found resolution for it on another forum somewhere out there. Just search your router model, and a key phrase that describes the problem. Experiment with your searches.

And last but not least, check the manual and manufacturer websites which often have a vast amount of resources and FAQs that may assist you in finding a solution.

Best of luck.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

GAC. Is the network card on the Toshiba also N series? A G series card will not connect to a wireless N network, even if it "sees" it.

I have this problem with a MacBook and my home network. I can have my router transmit both G and N compatible signals, but bandwith and range are lowered.

(Edit...checked the Tech Specs on your Tecra...only b/g enabled.)...
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Total stab in the dark, but I recently had some issues with a new laptop connecting to my network, and I have a 3 year old Linksys router, I updated the firmware on the router and that fixed whatever the issue was. Might be worth trying.

You have a newer router than I do though, so it wouldn't surprise me if your firmware is already up to date, but it's worth checking.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

On the brink of disaster

Most wireless N routers will also broadcast in both B and G modes. You may want to check your settings to make sure, but it shouldn't be an issue. I really stay away from Linksys products because they have a tendency to be glitchy and short lived. I reccommend Netgear for anybody who is buying a new router. Anyway, back to the problem. If you haven't turned your router off for around 30 seconds then back on, try that first. After that disable the wireless on the laptop then enable it again. Of course if that doesn't work the final advice I can offer you is restarting the laptop if you haven't already tried that.

It could be the software managing the network connection conflicting with Microsoft Windows connection if you have both running at the same time. Find out which one is managing the connection and disable the other.

Thanks for your input everyone.

She has been on my network all school year with no problem. Something, I'm assuming, happened over the weekend where now she can't. Like I said - it sees my network, yet is in this constant mode of trying to acquire the "certificate" (whatever that means).

I too have a Toshiba laptop with the same Atheros Wireless Network adapter, and I have no problem whatsoever.

I may end up using the recovery disk and formatting the computer and re-set everything up again to see what happens.

I'm also thinking of going into my router setup and changing the security from WEP to WPA and see what that does.

I can also contact Linksys support and they can help me also. I'll do it via chat though, because trying to talk to them over the phone is tedious since most speak broken English.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-03-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

OK. Ya'll won't believe how I fixed this thing.

I rebooted the router/modem. I didn't think that was where the problem was because all the other computers in my home network worked fine, and I figured it had to be something within my daughter's laptop.

But I rebooted the two units and it picked up the network. Go figure! Thanks all for your input.

Related question...I have a Linksys router and recently tried to move it to another part of the house with no success. I then hooked it back up and now all three (2 wireless, 1 wired) computers do not connect to the Internet. I can connect to the network wirelessly but have no Internet access unless I connect the computer to the cable modem via an ethernet cable.

I am guessing something has to be wrong with the security somewhere but I cannot find anything as I have rebooted, switched the cables, etc etc etc. Any thoughts?

Do you know how to go into your router setup page? In the address bar, it's usually 192.168.1.1 (I think). If you have never set up a username/password, then the default one is "admin" in password ONLY.

If you go into wireless networking, you can reset back to default settings. From there you will need to go back to each computer and set up wireless as you did prior.

If nothing else, and you can get internet access on the computer wired to the router, you can go to linksys website and use their tech support chat option where they can walk you through the above. Done it several times in the past, and they've always been helpful.

Got fed up and bought a new router. Now, for some reason, only one laptop can work wirelessly and the other one has to be connected. I consider myself to be somewhat computer savvy (or at least not technologically illiterate) but I cannot figure out what the problem is.

Turn Off Ads?