Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Dusty Be Nervous?

Re: Should Dusty Be Nervous?

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    I would be beyond shocked if Baker were fired, never mind bringing in a guy like LaRussa. I would love to see it, but I don't think it has a chance of happening. I'd just be thrilled if they could just land Duncan.
    I would love to see LaRussa here. That being said, it's not going to happen. I agree that Dusty will be the manager next year. I don't think he will be retained through 2011, but as far as 2010 goes, Dusty is our guy.

As for the pitching coach, I wouldn't be shocked if we make strong run at Duncan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think LaRussa (and possibly Duncan) would come to the Reds without some kind of assurance Mr. C would open the pocketbook to get the one or two missing pieces needed to make the team competitive. Add that cost to the cost of the two of them and I think it just puts it out of the realm of possibilities.

Given that Rolen is such an important part of this team now, and his past problems with LaRussa, I just don't see it happening. Duncan would be great, but I think he has his sights set on a manager's job, if he's leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanfalcon View Post
    Why should Dusty be nervous, isn't his contract guaranteed? He would get paid either way.
    Exactly, so why spend all that money on two managers? If Bob is going to go into his wallet, spend it on players. In many cases, the manager is immaterial. If you've got the horses, the manager's chair becomes easy to fill.

Dusty isn't going anywhere. Neither is LaRussa

I am sure Tony wouldnt bat low OBP guys at the top and I seriously doubt if he would bat BP 4th.
    I dont think any other manager would.

I guess I'm kind of in the middle about Dusty. I think he definitely loves his veterans too much, but to his credit, this team never quit and did increase their win total from 08 despite having everybody in the world on the DL at one time or another.
    But a much bigger question to me is why in the world would LaRussa want to leave the St Louis Pujols? And if he did, why oh why go to a small market team that throws nickels around like they are manhole covers? If a big prestigious position came open, maybe....but leave the perennial division champs to manage in Cincy? I just don't see it. Am I missing something?

LaRussa is a whining cry-baby, and as ambivalent as I am on Dusty, Better him than the whiner. But Duncan is extremely interesting. Can anyone name another successful pitching coach, that wasn't a pitcher himself?

RedsFan~Ang

I don't think Dusty is or should be nervous. And I don't think that he is the reason for our losing record. He hasn't had alot to work with since joining us. What he had this year was a bunch of AAA players and not alot of offense. Hard to compete when that's all you got!

I don't think Dusty will be fired. He is not the biggest problem. If that is how the FO chooses to "fix" things, they are barking up the wrong tree. Give Dusty a power bat in the OF, a SS who can play D and hit for a decent average and stability behind the dish and this team will be a force.

Quote Originally Posted by Va Red Fan View Post
    I don't think Dusty will be fired. He is not the biggest problem. If that is how the FO chooses to "fix" things, they are barking up the wrong tree. Give Dusty a power bat in the OF, a SS who can play D and hit for a decent average and stability behind the dish and this team will be a force.
    He may not be the biggest problem but Dusty is not one of the answers. A
    .520 winning% and an average finish of 3rd place spread out over 16yrs...not mention he has not had winning record since 2004's third place campaign with the Cubs.

Dusty is mediocre and if that is what the ultimate goal of the Fo is then I say keep him.
    Last edited by indyredleg; 10-17-2009 at 11:30 PM.

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Tony Larussa agreed in principle to manage the Cards another year.

Turn Off Ads?