Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
Results 361 to 369 of 369

Thread: Winter Ball '09-'10.

  1. #361
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,091

    Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

    Quote Originally Posted by sixfigure View Post
    Did you not look them up because you were being selective on stats and you knew they were bad?...even after a lackluster performance in the AFL he came back with this

    CAG PWL .213 (avg) 16 Gms) 61 (ab) 13 (runs) 13 (hits) 7 (2b) 1 (hr) 6 (rbi) 8 (bb) 15 (so) .304 (obp) .377 (slg) .681 (obp)

    ALBEIT SMALL SAMPLE SIZE..... my point is numbers can be manipulated to prove any point or theory whether right or wrong...happens everyday in politics and life...lol!!
    And his BABIP during that time was what? Because without it, the context is just about worthless especially because it is such a small sample size.

    Really though, it matters little. Alonso has outhit Francisco in both leagues the two have played in for their careers. Better OPS in the FSL and better OPS in the SL (though Alonso had a very small sample in the SL).
    Last edited by dougdirt; 02-15-2010 at 07:58 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #362
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

    Really though, it matters little. Alonso has outhit Francisco in both leagues the two have played in for their careers. Better OPS in the FSL and better OPS in the SL (though Alonso had a very small sample in the SL).
    Alonso had a slightly higher OPS at AA.

    Of course, by that time JF went to AAA and his OPS was over 150 points higher still.

    JF had 22 homers at AA and 27 altogether last year in the minors.
    Alonso had 2 at AA and 9 altogether.

    JF's lack of walks is a concern. Alonso needs to show some home run power, assuming he is healthy.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-15-2010 at 10:46 PM.

  4. #363
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,091

    Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Alonso had a slightly higher OPS at AA.

    Of course, by that time JF went to AAA and his OPS was over 150 points higher still.

    JF had 22 homers at AA and 27 altogether last year in the minors.
    Alonso had 2 at AA and 9 altogether.

    JF's lack of walks is a concern. Alonso needs to show some home run power, assuming he is healthy.
    Alonso slugged as high as Francisco did in the FSL. His power isn't concerning at all. His HR totals are low because of playing time being cut short and then the sapping of power once he came back. He is a 25-30 HR guy. He isn't in Francisco's class of total power, because well, the guys who are and still in the minors can be counted on one hand. Alonso's power though is just fine.

  5. #364
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He [Alonso] is a 25-30 HR guy.
    Maybe in his prime years. Once.

    Alonso looks to me like Sean Casey after the shoulder woes. He'll probably hit 300 and obp over 350, but that's about it. There's a lot of value in that, but not as a 1B. Especially with Joey Votto on the club. (Who is Yonder Alonso, if everything breaks perfectly, but with a better glove and range.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  6. #365
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,091

    Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Maybe in his prime years. Once.

    Alonso looks to me like Sean Casey after the shoulder woes. He'll probably hit 300 and obp over 350, but that's about it. There's a lot of value in that, but not as a 1B. Especially with Joey Votto on the club. (Who is Yonder Alonso, if everything breaks perfectly, but with a better glove and range.)
    I am trying to figure out what you are basing that on. Its not scouting reports on him. Its probably not on what he has done power wise as a pro while healthy. If you project out his numbers as a 22 year old from A+ and AA to 550 at bats that a MOR hitter gets he would have had 47 doubles and 18 HR's as a 22 year old while hitting in the FSL and dealing with a hamate injury.

    As for Votto/Alonso comparison.... I won't get into it, but I do disagree with your assessment of the situation.

  7. #366
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am trying to figure out what you are basing that on. Its not scouting reports on him. Its probably not on what he has done power wise as a pro while healthy. If you project out his numbers as a 22 year old from A+ and AA to 550 at bats that a MOR hitter gets he would have had 47 doubles and 18 HR's as a 22 year old while hitting in the FSL and dealing with a hamate injury.
    Casey's minor league numbers are far superior to Alonso's, but he shows the same doubles-led slugging percentage and solid plate discipline. He also had similar struggles to stay healthy/ put up a meaningful amount of games as a young professional. As to their tools, again, the plate discipline, the contact abilities, and the lack of foot speed are similar. Defensively, they look to be even.

    As to being prospects, Casey was the 20th rated prospect in 1998. Alonso's 35th this year.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  8. #367
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,091

    Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Casey's minor league numbers are far superior to Alonso's, but he shows the same doubles-led slugging percentage and solid plate discipline. He also had similar struggles to stay healthy/ put up a meaningful amount of games as a young professional. As to their tools, again, the plate discipline, the contact abilities, and the lack of foot speed are similar. Defensively, they look to be even.

    As to being prospects, Casey was the 20th rated prospect in 1998. Alonso's 35th this year.
    Alonso has had 1 injury in the last 4 years.... I think you are reaching pretty far to suggest Alonso has problems staying healthy.

    Casey was a good prospect. And if Alonso can be much like Casey in his best seasons, then that is one heck of a player. I think he has more power than Casey did though, especially after the shoulder problems which you noted in your comparison of the two.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 02-16-2010 at 12:46 AM.

  9. #368
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,526

    Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Alonso has had 1 injury in the last 4 years.... I think you are reaching pretty far to suggest Alonso has problems staying healthy.

    Casey was a good prospect. And if Alonso can be much like Casey in his best seasons, then that is one heck of a player. I think he has more power than Casey did though, especially after the shoulder problems which you noted in your comparison of the two.
    You shouldn't have to defend this.

    Casey's swing was so different than Alonso's.

    They're night and day different from each other.

    I can't wait for the season to start so we can watch reality. February is a tough month in sports.

  10. #369
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,070

    Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

    Casey's swing was so different than Alonso's.

    They're night and day different from each other.
    On the spectrum of all big leaguers' swings, they're quite similar. Flat, line drive stroke with a knack for letting the ball get deep and driving it to the opposite field.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25