Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Ball '09-'10.

Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I saw it mentioned on FanGraphs earlier today that high OBP, low ISO guys in the minors don't tend to suceed in the majors unless they have substantial speed -- think Luis Castillo, Chone Figgins, or Ryan Freel. I think Rosales sort of fits that profile; he hit for power in the minors, but it was very much gap power, not HR power. I'd want him to get the first crack at the 2B job if Phillips were traded, but not convinced he's going to hit enough to stick.
    He's a tweener like Valiaka, Sutton (and maybe even Frazier) who probably doesn't have the bat for the positions he could credibly play on a daily basis, but guys like that can be useful on the bench. Some can even be among the more valuable guys on the team even though they may not be able to claim any specific position (which is where I think Frazier would fit on a good team). I'd envision Rosales having a career similar to guys like Brendan Harris, Greg Dobbs and Geoff Blum and when I think about players coming up through the system over the last 10 years that would qualify as a sucess. Certainly not a throwaway while he's cheap and has options.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I saw it mentioned on FanGraphs earlier today that high OBP, low ISO guys in the minors don't tend to suceed in the majors unless they have substantial speed -- think Luis Castillo, Chone Figgins, or Ryan Freel. I think Rosales sort of fits that profile; he hit for power in the minors, but it was very much gap power, not HR power. I'd want him to get the first crack at the 2B job if Phillips were traded, but not convinced he's going to hit enough to stick.
    I think Rosales showed solid HR power in the minors. 1 HR every 29 at bats. Over 600 at bats that is 20 HR's. Its not Jay Bruce, but its not Willy Taveras either.

On 11-13:

Rosales went 2 for 5.
    Carlos Mendez went 1 for 3.
    Miguel Rojas went 3 for 3.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

This winter, Mendez has worked his way up from the Liga Paralella to the regular Venezuelan League. He's seen some early starts for Caribes -- like Miguel Rojas, he'll benefit by this winter season if he gets regular playing time. Unless he develops some power, he'll probably never graduate from fringe prospect, but I'd call him a deep sleeper at this point.

Francisco continues to hit. He has an 8 game hitting streak and over his last 10 games:

36 AB
    11 H
    4 HR
    5 BB
    8 K

.306/.381/.750 for an OPS of 1.131

Dorn may have left his team. He hasn't played in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Francisco continues to hit. He has an 8 game hitting streak and over his last 10 games:

36 AB
    11 H
    4 HR
    5 BB
    8 K

.306/.381/.750 for an OPS of 1.131

Dorn may have left his team. He hasn't played in 2 weeks.
    Seems like it. Perhaps an injury or maybe he only went for a little bit of time and it was planned that way.

Juan Francisco went 3-4 with 2 HR's last night. He now has 8 in the DWL. There are several guys tied for 2nd place with 4.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Juan Francisco went 3-4 with 2 HR's last night. He now has 8 in the DWL. There are several guys tied for 2nd place with 4.
    Has Francisco been seeing action in LF or 1b as well as 3b in the DWL? Or to better state it, where has he been playing for the most part?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Has Francisco been seeing action in LF or 1b as well as 3b in the DWL? Or to better state it, where has he been playing for the most part?
    I haven't checked all of the box scores, but he has gotten time at both spots.

Both. He started out mostly at 3B, but lately he's been in left quite a bit. No errors out there that I've seen in the boxes.

Francisco is leading the league in hr and rbi's also and not by a small margin either...

And Barker leads in runs scored.

He's hitting well.

.319/.415/.487

I see that Jukich leads the Dominican League with an ERA of 1.71.

Juan Francisco went 2-4 with a HR last night. His 9th of the season, 3 better than the guy in 2nd place.

Yonder Alonso went 1-5 with a double in his Puerto Rican Winter League debut last night.

Where is a quick link where we can follow the winter league stats for our guys? Thank you in advance.

Turn Off Ads?