Turn Off Ads?

Thread: December 8 1980

December 8 1980

Kinda hard to believe that it's been 33 years ago

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

New York Red (12-11-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: December 8 1980

It's easy if you try.

Sorry couldn't resist.
    Witty signature.

5. Likes:

DanielPlainview (12-14-2013)

I lost a lot that day, not that I was a huge fan of John Lennon's post Beatles work, but rather because of the shock that someone would shoot and kill a man who had brought so much art and joy to the world. One fourth of the group that had written the greatest part of my childhood sound track had been repaid for his generosity by being murdered. It still pisses me off.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

7. Likes:

New York Red (12-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I lost a lot that day, not that I was a huge fan of John Lennon's post Beatles work, but rather because of the shock that someone would shoot and kill a man who had brought so much art and joy to the world. One fourth of the group that had written the greatest part of my childhood sound track had been repaid for his generosity by being murdered. It still pisses me off.
    I agree with every word. It hit me the same way. I will add, re: John's post-Beatles stuff, I thought his tracks on Double Fantasy were awesome. I always thought if those same songs had been released as part of a Lennon solo album, instead of a John/Yoko work, it would have been much better received critically. It picked up steam sales-wise, after John's death, but it never got the critical acclaim I thought it deserved.

Did anyone tell Chip?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I will add, re: John's post-Beatles stuff, I thought his tracks on Double Fantasy were awesome. I always thought if those same songs had been released as part of a Lennon solo album, instead of a John/Yoko work, it would have been much better received critically. It picked up steam sales-wise, after John's death, but it never got the critical acclaim I thought it deserved.
    Honestly my problem with his post Beatles work has to do with the fact that I just didn't want the Beatles to be broken up. I was my problem, not Lennon's.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

11. Likes:

KittyDuran (12-12-2013),westofyou (12-12-2013)

Honestly my problem with his post Beatles work has to do with the fact that I just didn't want the Beatles to be broken up. I was my problem, not Lennon's.
    BINGO! Same here. Those of us that experienced the 60's and Beatlemania didn't want the magic to ever end. I was the same way. And after the break-up I bought every album made by all four. And when it came to Lennon and McCartney, at that time, now looking back, I liked their work but there was always that level of "disappointment" (let down) for me because it wasn't the Beatles.

As you stated - it was MY problem, and a hang-up it took me years to get over and accept. It was hard for anyone's music to rise to the level of the Beatles... and that includes an ex-Beatle.

When I listen to John's solo work, or Paul's, IMO, what was missing was the other's input, someone to creatively bounce their ideas off of. There were a lot of times when one of them would be writing a song and feel something was missing, and the other was there to fill that void. John's approach had a hardness, edginess to it that needed Paul's input/influence, and visa versa. They fed, thrived off of each other.

But today, now that I'm fast approaching 60, I can listen to their solo work and have a much more deeper appreciation for it.

And Paul's latest CD (New) is, IMO, one of the best albums he has ever done since the Beatle's break-up. I can't stop listening to it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

13. Likes:

KittyDuran (12-14-2013),Revering4Blue (12-14-2013)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I agree with every word. It hit me the same way. I will add, re: John's post-Beatles stuff, I thought his tracks on Double Fantasy were awesome. I always thought if those same songs had been released as part of a Lennon solo album, instead of a John/Yoko work, it would have been much better received critically. It picked up steam sales-wise, after John's death, but it never got the critical acclaim I thought it deserved.
    IMO, if the Lennon solo tracks (minus the John/Yoko tracks that you mentioned) from " both Double Fantasy" and "Milk And Honey" were combined, the result would have been the album of the decade.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

15. Likes:

New York Red (12-14-2013)

I think most of us were in this same frame of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    IMO, if the Lennon solo tracks (minus the John/Yoko tracks that you mentioned) from " both Double Fantasy" and "Milk And Honey" were combined, the result would have been the album of the decade.
    I actually did that - took Yoko's garbage off and combined the two albums onto a CD. Good stuff.

John loved Yoko. Fine. But the songs he felt compelled to put on his albums continually proclaiming his love for her was too much for me. As well as giving her tracks on some of his albums. Listening to this woman sing was like running your nails down a chalkboard.

I still say that the Plastic Ono Band album (1970) is his best IMO.

Some think "Imagine" is his greatest song, but for me it will always Be "In My Life".

18. Likes:

KittyDuran (12-15-2013),New York Red (12-16-2013),Revering4Blue (12-15-2013),SunDeck (12-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?