Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd appreciate a computer recommendation

I'd appreciate a computer recommendation

when my old machine's hard drive died I told the guy at the computer store that I needed a computer to surf the web, pay bills online, answer email & play a few strategy games (chess, scrabble, etc). I don't need one that plays video games.

He recommended a cheap ACER computer.
    intel Pentium quad core processor N3540 (up to 2.66 GHz)
    intel HD graphics
    4 GB DDR3 memory
    500 GB HDD

it is a piece of junk & the only reason I haven't smashed it into 1000 pieces is because I don't want to lose whats on the hard drive.

1) when I am online it locks up all the time
    2) when I type on Redszone it only types ~ half the words. this also occurs on certain other sites. if I type realllllly slowly it will type the words
    3) it can be verrrrry slow to load web pages, sometimes 10-15 seconds
    4) often when a website has a video ad running I can't scroll down past the ad

I have ESET security and it says I have no viruses/malware

my suspicion is that with all the basic background programs running & every website running video ads I don't have enough computing power in the processor/RAM

I'm looking for suggestions on how much processor/RAM people think I need for what I consider basic computing needs.
    A specific model suggestion is great too.
    I don't want a Mac, I'd prefer a windows based PC.
    I'd like to not break the bank but I also don't want to spend $1500 on a computer that doesn't work 2 years from now. I seem to have a closet of old PCs/MACs with each having some issue. that's why I went cheap on my latest one.

thanks,

- Brett

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'd appreciate a computer recommendation

I'm kinda addicted to building computers, and that's the best way to get the most performance per dollar spent, but for what you want to do there are tons of solid prebuilt options.

CPU: Go Intel since AMD CPUs are way behind these days. An i3 or an i5 will be plenty for a while.
    RAM: 8GB is more than enough. Don't get suckered into upgrading to 16GB or more because they recommend it.
    Storage: Most prebuilts come with just a standard 1TB HDD. That's fine and all, but the easiest way to improve your computer's performance is to have your operating system and commonly used programs on an SSD since they'll load much faster. They're also pretty cheap these days, so I would recommend when you buy a prebuilt, order an SSD from like Amazon or Newegg. 120GB SSDs are cheap, and the Crucial and Samsung EVOs are very good. Installing it would be very easy, but you could watch a Youtube vid or something to get the idea. A lot of the SSDs come with cloning software to make transferring everything to it a breeze, although you can always request a Windows installation disc and do it manually. Not nearly as complicated as I'm making it sound haha.
    Video Card: You don't need one. With an Intel CPU its integrated graphics is plenty for what you want. Although a lot of prebuilts throw entry level cards into their PCs for whatever reason, but yea don't pay extra for one since you won't play graphic intensive games or use animations/editing software.

Would definitely recommend a desktop since they're upgradable, last longer, and it's much easier to get better bang for your buck there. If so, something like a Dell XPS desktop would be a solid choice since they usually have a model on sale, and they use quality CPUs. Maybe an Inspiron if they have a good deal going.
    If you'd prefer a laptop, a Dell XPS 13 are great. If you don't want a thin and light ultrabook, Lenovo makes some decent laptops from what I've heard. But I don't really keep up with laptop news so idk for sure.

And to keep things running smoother over time, don't install any toolbars, software that says it'll speed up your computer, complimentary softwares that come with a download, or basically anything that you aren't 100% sure you trust. If unsure, Google it to know what you're getting. Websites these days can be loaded with different scripts and horribly optimized crap that'll slow things down. Noscript and an Adblocker are two good extensions to add to your web browser to make surfing the web a lot more enjoyable.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't think the guy gave you the wrong advice, to be honest. You may have just gone with the wrong system in that case.

For what you do - nearly anything off of the shelf should have worked. But, as Stray notes- you need to keep those systems low key and can't usually do multiple things at once to keep them moving smoothly.

I've got a pretty good system - I can edit 4K video on this machine - and even I run an adblocker in my browser and I have Flash set up that I have to approve it each time it wants to run on any website. It really helps out.

You have plenty of hardware for that stuff. It's probably all the crapware that comes pre-loaded on these things. Wipe it and install Linux. OK, don't do that, but seriously google "remove crapware [name of computer]" and uninstall whatever they tell you to.

Also, maybe you just need to update Windows?

Ubuntu that machine if you get a new box

My new box at work has 24 GB of RAM, it makes my machines at home seem so bad

Double the DDR.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Here's an outside the box suggestion: A Chromebook or Chromebox. Chromebooks are laptops, Chromebox's are PC's. They don't run Windows or Apple, they run an OS based on the Chrome Browser. They are super snappy (come on in like 7 seconds). Essentially everything you mentioned is done on the web. I run Windows. I have 4 machines in the house. I was always tempted to try the Chromebook but was sure I'd be disappointed.

Eventually I said....hey it's $199. Give it a shot. Once I did it became my go-to laptop. Superlight and fast. Does it have some limitations? Sure. Won't run java web sites. (most are going to HTML 5 these days). And every once in a while I find myself needing to run a Windows program. When I need that I just do a remote desktop into a Windows machine.

For you, I might suggest a Chromebox. I assume you have a decent sized monitor already. The Chromebox can be either Ethernet or wi-fi.

And the best part? You might find out $159 solves your problem.

http://promos.asus.com/us/chrome-os/chromebox/

http://www.t3.com/features/next-laptop-chromebook

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=83-220-572
    Last edited by JaxRed; 06-22-2015 at 04:13 PM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Get a solid state drive. Computer will boot up in seconds.

SSD's are standard with Chrome devices..... just sayin'
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

If you just need something to view websites and play some basic games, a chromebook would do that. If you'd prefer a desktop, you could get the parts to put one together for around $400.

CPU: $69.99 (includes Intel HD graphics, so you don't need a discrete GPU)
    http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Pentium-.../dp/B00KPRWAZQ

Motherboard: $50.98
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F42Y924/?tag=ttgdiscount-20

RAM: $59.99 (8GB DDR3, which would be plenty.)
    http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Hyper...in%3A677427011

Storage: $25-$105
    Here you have some choices to make:

For $25, you can get a 250GB Western Digital Caviar Blue Hard Drive
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B000Q84G5Q

For $50, you can get the same product line, but 1TB (4 times the size)
    http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-7...&keywords=Blue

For $105, you can get a 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-In...70M2E91W5VJFCN

The SSD (solid state drive) is quite a bit more expensive, but having one will make your computer a lot more responsive. For most of the tasks you'll be running, your storage will be the performance bottleneck. Upgrading from a hard disk (with spinning platters) to a SSD (with no moving parts) will make it feel significantly faster. But it comes at a cost and it's up to you to decide if that cost is worth it. You could go smaller with a SSD (down to 120 GB) to save some money, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can get one for $75, but you would be running out of room sooner rather than later because a base Windows 7 installation takes up around 50-60GB.

Optical drive: $17.39
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Optica...R3AZRH8Y14XVEM

The optical drive is the least important part, overall. It just needs to work long enough for you to install Windows.

Power Supply: $34.99
    http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-80PLUS-Ce.../dp/B00H33SDR4

Case: $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...76&ignorebbr=1

There are lots of options with cases. You should just get one with generally positive reviews. I would stay around the $35-40 price point, though, because material and build quality falls off quickly as you spend less.

Windows 7 license: ~$30

Total: $379.32 - $459-32

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-23-2015)

Before you buy a new computer, try to reinstall the operating system.
    On Windows based systems, that's often all you need to do.
    The virus scanners (and stuff like that) don't always catch everything. They can't.
    Example. I recently bought my daughter a laptop from a college student that was "upgrading" off CL, for $75.
    The seller told me it had gotten extremely slow. When I got home, I could see that the student had visited a lot of illegal download sites.
    I did a fresh install of the OS (win 7 in this case), and now it's a usable laptop.

If your computer worked ok when you first got it, but then degraded to unusuable. Try this.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for bringing winning baseball back to Cincy -- it was nice while it lasted..

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

thanks guys. I'm going to try some of these suggestions before ritually burning this computer & buying a new one.

I have had really good luck with 2 Toshiba Satellite's in the past 6 years. As others mentioned getting a computer that runs a pentium i3,i5,i7 chip with 8-16 gigs of memory should give you a good setup (maybe upgrade to 8 if you're under that level). I do think Satellite's are good sweet spot computer reasonably well priced but well built and tend not to break down (crossing my fingers).

You might also run a malware cleaner and speed up utility. I do like malware bytes to get rid of malware. I have heard cc cleaner can help up speed up the pc.

You might try changing browsers also. I had a bunch of malware adware that go stuck into IE, so I just removed it. I alternate between chrome and mozilla when I get a slowdown issue. If one is much slower, I do sometimes uninstall the slow browser and then reinstall a day later.
    Last edited by Eric from NC; 06-23-2015 at 12:39 PM.

So......what was the outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    So......what was the outcome?
    I bought a Dell with an i5 & 8GB RAM. its working much better than the old mchine. the internet still seems slower than I think it should be but its much faster and smoother than my old machine.
    thanks guys.

Turn Off Ads?