Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any CPAP Users Out There?

Re: Any CPAP Users Out There?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I noticed a plateau about a year after using it and went back in for a recalcitration of sorts. They kept everything the same. Then last April I did it again and they adjusted the machine from 8 to 15.

As for noticing if it "works." I've always found that it works in that I don't exactly feel re-energized when I sleep with it, but I feel like a zombie if I sleep without it.
    Yes, you said it all so much better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    OK, you guys inspired me to use mine last night. I usually don't, normally because I don't see the huge increase in energy. Let me ask a question, after getting the initial setup, has anyone had testing done while wearing your mask to see if it was effective?
    I have not had testing after my titration night. I really think my pressure needs to be increased. I'm a little frustrated that there are machines out there that can provide real data but my equipment company won't give me one.

The only thing I've been asked about was if I am seeing a difference during the day. That's very subjective and I can't say that I do. My doctor said I have one of the worse cases of sleep apnea he's seen and he was surprised I haven't been in a car accident or something.

I have a small nasal mask. I tried a full face but found it claustrophobic. The idea of nasal pillows kind of grossed me out. I have the Comfort Gel mask and love it compared to the one I tested with. I have very little leak unless I mess around with the strap adjustment ..... then it takes me a few nights to get it right again.

I have the Remstar M Series. The noise doesn't bother me. I find it rather soothing.

The only real hurdle I've had is "rain out". I had to work with the machine to get it to the right height so I wasn't getting splashed with water all night. My humidifier is set at the lowest setting. I have the machine about a foot below my head on a low table. I run the tube under a pillow or light blanket to insulate it a bit. Rain out is when the air is cool and condensation forms in your tubing. It eventually reaches your face. Pain in the butt!

Another watch out for folks. Put a sock or something over your mask in the morning. I've heard 2 instances where a spider has gotten into the tubing and ended up on someone's nose in the night. I also heard someone mention a cockroach.

Amusing story: there's a guy who keeps his machine on the floor. His dog laid next to it for warmth and proceeded to break wind. One concentrated snort of puppy gas was enough to make him move the machine.

There really is a fascinating community of hoseheads out there. I'm surprised at how many folks are using this therapy.
    Last edited by TeamCasey; 10-21-2009 at 05:47 PM.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

www.cpaptalk.com

Good users community.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Good thread guys. I just went and cleaned my equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Good thread guys. I just went and cleaned my equipment.
    I need too clean mine, but yeah great thread. I am unfortunately not one of the success stories. I've just never gotten enough out of it to put up with the aggravation it brings. Ultimately though I am playing russian roulette by not using it. It's probably why I am always so damn mean and cantankerous. I also have very severe apnea, something like I stop breathing over 360 times a minute or hour, can't exactly recall it's been a couple years since that was established. I use a Resmed Escape S8 with full face CPAP, it's been a while since I used it but I think it's on 12 or 13. It's a nice machine just doesn't ever seem to be what I need. Of course I can't recall ever having used it for multiple weeks at a time while simultaneously getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Maybe it's my usage that is causing me not to feel the effects from it. What I hate is the combination of the condensation on my face, the mark it leaves on the bridge of my nose along with some tenderness. I get the feeling I am weakening my bridge, maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me. I tried a few years ago to get a surgery that would have helped it a great deal by removing the flap (tonsils) in my throat but insurance turned me down and before I could try putting it thru again I had lost my job. Since then it's only gotten worse.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    The only real hurdle I've had is "rain out". I had to work with the machine to get it to the right height so I wasn't getting splashed with water all night. My humidifier is set at the lowest setting. I have the machine about a foot below my head on a low table. I run the tube under a pillow or light blanket to insulate it a bit. Rain out is when the air is cool and condensation forms in your tubing. It eventually reaches your face. Pain in the butt!
    I had that issue the night of my titration study. I thought the ceiling was leaking. I also had an issue the first night I was home even with my humidifier on a low setting. They gave me a tube insulator and the problem went away. It was something like $10 and went right on. I didn't think it had anything to do with the height of the machine, but of the difference of temp between the inside and outside. People that run ceiling fans especially have problems with condensation.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Mario, sounds to me like you weren't setup correctly. Did they do a titration study where they increased the pressure to where your apneas stopped? 12 or 13 is not extremely high for someone with severe apnea. I had my original study where they measured my sleep, oxygen, apneas, sleep effectiveness, etc... I then had a second study where they put me on cpap to find the treatment that worked for me. If you never found that right solution for you, I'd suggest you go somewhere else and get more answers. Sounds to me like you don't a full grasp on your condition. That's the doc's fault.

I love the Doc and clinic I'm going to. They are 100% committed to fixing my sleep and the service is exceptional. There's no doubt they want to see me get well regardless of what we have to do. If you haven't fixed your sleep you need to keep looking.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Okay, maybe you guys can help answer this for me. I'm wearing a full face mask and recently it feels like all the air is moving up past my mouth and nose and straight out the out valve. In addition to missing any benefit, this is especially annoying because it makes the darth vader noise that much louder.

I got a new mask and it quieted everything down for about a week.

I've been banished from the bed until I can figure this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I'm not 100%, but I don't think that can happen, Hoosier. When you breathe in, the air has to be going through your lungs, so I don't think it can escape out when you inhale. When you exhale, it's escaping out somewhere but I don't think it matters whether it's nose or mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Mario, sounds to me like you weren't setup correctly. Did they do a titration study where they increased the pressure to where your apneas stopped? 12 or 13 is not extremely high for someone with severe apnea. I had my original study where they measured my sleep, oxygen, apneas, sleep effectiveness, etc... I then had a second study where they put me on cpap to find the treatment that worked for me. If you never found that right solution for you, I'd suggest you go somewhere else and get more answers. Sounds to me like you don't a full grasp on your condition. That's the doc's fault.

I love the Doc and clinic I'm going to. They are 100% committed to fixing my sleep and the service is exceptional. There's no doubt they want to see me get well regardless of what we have to do. If you haven't fixed your sleep you need to keep looking.
    Well when I started on it I was very clausterphobic about it all so they may have done that initially just to get me used to it. Don't know that with certainty but I do recall having problems going beyond 12/13 at first. For many different reasons/lame excuses I haven't really stuck to my end of the bargain so they may not have had much of an opportunity to work whatever plan they had for me. But my Dr. is really quite arrogant and prickly and it's difficult for me to be honest with him/talk to him at all. I need to rededicate my self to the situation and soon but I don't believe I have any other options locally other than my current Dr.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 10-26-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Okay, maybe you guys can help answer this for me. I'm wearing a full face mask and recently it feels like all the air is moving up past my mouth and nose and straight out the out valve. In addition to missing any benefit, this is especially annoying because it makes the darth vader noise that much louder.

I got a new mask and it quieted everything down for about a week.

I've been banished from the bed until I can figure this out.
    Have you tried adjusting your mask/straps accordingly? I think I've had the same thing happen. It feels like air is blowing directly into my eyes. Usually when that happens it's because I am not wearing my mask in the optimal position so I have to move it around a smidge until I find the proper spot for it. Or the straps are not quite as tight as they need to be or perhaps even too tight. Fiddle around with that and see how it goes.

--Woody Hayes

On weekends I like to sleep in (no kids at home) and the sun comes in and wakes me up way too early. So I bought a couple of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Therapeu...963320-3281041

Turns out it also prevents the "rubbing" on the bridge of the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    On weekends I like to sleep in (no kids at home) and the sun comes in and wakes me up way too early. So I bought a couple of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Therapeu...963320-3281041

Turns out it also prevents the "rubbing" on the bridge of the nose.
    Thanks Jax I'll have to give them a whirl.

--Woody Hayes

Going in for another titration study tonight. Still haven't been able to recreate the magic I had at the clinic at home.

I havent been diagnosed with sleep apnea but alot of the symptoms I have read about like being tired in the morning is something I have had my entire life. However my wife has never noticed me not breathing while I sleep, but I am a horrible snorer.

One major symptom I have anymore is severe cotton mouth through out the night. I read online it is because I breathe thru my mouth at night but I can't find if this is a sleep apnea symptom.

Do I sound like I may potentially have sleep apnea??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?