Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any CPAP Users Out There?

Re: Any CPAP Users Out There?

I was doing some research into my own sleep problems (groggy again this morning) and learned of Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...phase_syndrome. Then I remembered this thread.

I'm reluctant to diagnose myself, especially considering it effects a small portion of the population. But this fits me to a tee. In a nutshell, I want to go to sleep at 4am and wake up at noon. I don't need more sleep and don't feel like my sleep is that poor quality, provided that I get the hours right.

This might fit some of you as well.
    Last edited by Rojo; 10-22-2010 at 04:07 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I actually just got tested at a sleep disorder center and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. I don't have many of the traits often associated with it (I'm not overweight and have a pretty small neck), but after experiencing many of the common symptoms (grogginess in the morning, rarely feeling refreshed no matter how much sleep I get), I wanted to get it checked out. Additionally, I also have a family history of those with sleep apnea and my girlfriend has told me that I often stop breathing in the middle of the night (not to mention heavy snoring), so I'm glad I decided to get it checked out and stumbled upon this thread. Right now, I'm in the process of waiting for an appointment I made next month with a dentist that specializes in creating appliances for those with sleep apnea. The appliance is designed to prevent you from stopping breathing in the middle of the night. I'd much rather at least try this route before getting the CPAP machine because my case is supposedly mild and, if it works, there's no noise to (potentially) bother a partner like there is with CPAP. Does anyone else have an experience with using a dental appliance that's designed to prevent you from stopping breathing in the middle of the night? If it doesn't work for me, I guess I'll reluctantly be joining the rest of you that use a CPAP machine.

I'd be interested in hearing about the dental device as well. I have no issues with my CPAP but I'm taking a job with more business travel. Remember how I said that the doctor asked "how I felt"? I thought that was subjective as I didn't feel any different.

Boy, was I wrong!

I recently went on a trip without my CPAP. I thought, what's the big deal ..... it's only a couple of nights. It was horrible. I got no sleep. I was so groggy that I didn't think I should be driving. I can't believe that that is how I used to sleep!

I need to find a traveling solution.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing about the dental device as well. I have no issues with my CPAP but I'm taking a job with more business travel. Remember how I said that the doctor asked "how I felt"? I thought that was subjective as I didn't feel any different.

Boy, was I wrong!

I recently went on a trip without my CPAP. I thought, what's the big deal ..... it's only a couple of nights. It was horrible. I got no sleep. I was so groggy that I didn't think I should be driving. I can't believe that that is how I used to sleep!

I need to find a traveling solution.
    How large is your CPAP machine? The most recent I got is probably just 6-7 inches square, plus the plug and the hose, but when my wife & I went to Boston, I just stuck it inside our suitcase. (Note; I did have to print up a certificate from the manufacturer for taking it on a plane). It's so much more compact than any of the one's I've had.

I can let you know which one I have when I get home.

I've been using a machine for several years now. I've recently taken off around 35 lbs. and my wife say I'm not doing the sort of snoring I used to do, although she's not ready for me to go without it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    How large is your CPAP machine? The most recent I got is probably just 6-7 inches square, plus the plug and the hose, but when my wife & I went to Boston, I just stuck it inside our suitcase. (Note; I did have to print up a certificate from the manufacturer for taking it on a plane). It's so much more compact than any of the one's I've had.

I can let you know which one I have when I get home.

I've been using a machine for several years now. I've recently taken off around 35 lbs. and my wife say I'm not doing the sort of snoring I used to do, although she's not ready for me to go without it.
    I'd love to know which model. Mine is larger with the humidifier. One of the Respironics.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I'd love to know which model. Mine is larger with the humidifier. One of the Respironics.
    This is the one I use.
    http://www.cpapplus.com/Machines/CPA...-escape-1.html

Even with the humidifier it's not huge. I usually will carry it and my laptop in a backpack as my one carry on if I'm flying, or I'll throw it in with my luggage. I've never had to get a form for flying with it, but the screeners always run a test on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

That's the same one I have.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Thought I'd revive this thread with some updates on me. I said earlier I was going to try my CPAP again and I did but again it made no difference so I basically quit. When I initially had my sleep test done, it was just the first test with no titration test. My GP set the pressure. (I think it was 11).

This time around (maybe 8 years later), the GP says let's do another study. We did a home study, it confirmed the apnea again, and my GP (this time the PA) set the pressure to 12.

Got a newer machine and a full face mask... tried it for 3 weeks without feeling much difference, and then took the card in to be read by my DME company. The tech says I have Central Sleep Apnea in addition to the Obstructive apnea and the machine I have doesn't treat CSA. So at that I point I'm feeling we found out the problem.... it wasn't treating my CSA.

She suggests we get another sleep study at a clinic and not in-home. So it gets set up, and a couple days later I get some snail mail saying we've sent the results to your GP. In addition is a note from the sleep doc saying you should go on Oxygen till my GP decides on next step. The Oxygen was brought up a couple time before and shot down. At the bottom of that note is a paragraph saying "if you want you can set up an appointment with the sleep doctor". I think I want the sleep doc doing my diagnosis not my GP.

I have the appt, and the sleep doc says I have no Central Sleep Apnea. (so much for my cure). But he gave me the numbers on my apnea and some are bad. The highest one I remember was when I was in REM I had over 100 apneas in a hour. An apnea has to be at least 10 seconds to be recorded.

I'm finally getting a titration study on 5 August. The doc thinks we'll nail down the right pressure. We are holding off on the oxygen for now. He kind of implied my GP and PA were pulling the pressure out of an orifice on their body.

So...maybe in 10 days or so I'll have some improvement....

I was thinking of going down this route, but decided to have my tonsils out this January. I've been tired for years, even if I sleep 10-12 hours a night.

It's been a major improvement. I still need a fair amount of sleep, but I'm fairly active so I'm ok with it. I feel much better day to day. I couldn't recommend in good conscience for an adult to have their tonsils out, because it was two of the worst weeks of my life recovering (no exaggeration), but I'm glad it was done. I've always had huge tonsils, I sleep better now, and not getting strep throat ever again is just a bonus (used to get it multiple times yearly.)

There's a lot of potential reasons for poor sleep and sleep apnea, sometimes looking at the airway and what's in there can be helpful as well.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I was thinking of going down this route, but decided to have my tonsils out this January. I've been tired for years, even if I sleep 10-12 hours a night.

It's been a major improvement. I still need a fair amount of sleep, but I'm fairly active so I'm ok with it. I feel much better day to day. I couldn't recommend in good conscience for an adult to have their tonsils out, because it was two of the worst weeks of my life recovering (no exaggeration), but I'm glad it was done. I've always had huge tonsils, I sleep better now, and not getting strep throat ever again is just a bonus (used to get it multiple times yearly.)

There's a lot of potential reasons for poor sleep and sleep apnea, sometimes looking at the airway and what's in there can be helpful as well.
    I've thought about this as well. I used to get strep a 2-3 times a year but haven't gotten it at all in over 3 years, which doesn't make much sense to me.

I had a deviated septum fixed about 5 years ago and to me, THAT was one of the most miserable couple of weeks of my life recovering from that.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

and not getting strep throat ever again is just a bonus (used to get it multiple times yearly.)
    Where'd you hear that? Your tonsils got enlarged trying to fight off the strep. They house the cells that fight off infections. Unless they get enlarged they're a nice organ to have.

My wife has had her tonsils out and she gets fewer sore throats than me but she gets sick more often.

Here's an explanation of what the tonsils do and why you're still susceptible to strep:

http://www.zocdoc.com/answers/11962/...onsils-removed

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Where'd you hear that? Your tonsils got enlarged trying to fight off the strep. They house the cells that fight off infections. Unless they get enlarged they're a nice organ to have.

My wife has had her tonsils out and she gets fewer sore throats than me but she gets sick more often.

Here's an explanation of what the tonsils do and why you're still susceptible to strep:

http://www.zocdoc.com/answers/11962/...onsils-removed
    From my doctor, I realize you still get sore throats and can get strep, but from what I've read and been told it's less often and less severe. Mine were enlarged in a normal state, they almost touched. When they swelled from sickness it was rough.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

From my doctor, I realize you still get sore throats and can get strep, but from what I've read and been told it's less often and less severe. Mine were enlarged in a normal state, they almost touched. When they swelled from sickness it was rough.
    Sounds like you made the right call...

Good Luck

OK, just got back from the titration study. Haven't even gone to bed yet. (They let me go at 4:30 AM). I had a good rapport with the tech, so he probably told me more than he supposed to before the sleep doc weighs in.

But before I was on CPAP (Continuous Pressure) of 12. The sweet spot for me looks to be a BIPAP (two pressures) of 20/16. 20 when inhaling, 16 when exhaling. He said while on this setting I had one continuous REM stage of 20 minutes, where I only had 10 minutes of REM the entire night without the mask during the first study.

I need a different mask, they tried mine and it leaked too much.

So, hopefully everything gets set up within the next week and we'll see how things go. 20 is pretty high.

OK..... I got my new BiPap machine and new mask this afternoon. Resmed S9. Turns out there were 2 different pressure settings where I did not have problems. The 20/16 mentioned previously and 16/12. So we are going for the 16/12.

And I do have some central sleep apnea when using a mask (but none when going face commando). Sleep doc thinks those may go away when my brain gets used to not struggling for air when sleeping.

Hope to report a difference tomoorow....

Turn Off Ads?