Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any CPAP Users Out There?

Re: Any CPAP Users Out There?

By the way.... anyone using Sleepyhead software (free). If you have one of these machines you can read your own card
    ResMed S9 families
    DeVilbiss Intellipap
    Fisher & Paykel Icon support is coming soon!
    You can also use Contec CMS50 (USB serial) oximeters, as well as ResMed S9's oximeter attachment.
    SleepyHead is currently in Beta release..

I took a 90 minute nap after I got my new machine and mask and then popped the disk into my computer. It seems to show a 4.77 AHI. (5-20=mild, 21-50=moderate, above 51 severe)

And.... it showed all my events as being "Clear Airway" (Central).....

So... will be interesting to monitor this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

After my "real sleep" last night I popped by SD card into Sleepy Head for analysis. It showed a reading of just over 18 for the nigt. I could tell all my obtructive apneas coincided with periods of mask leaking. On my afternoon nap I had no leaks, Hence the good score then.

So I guess finding the right mask/right fit is going to be critical. I stopped by sleep center and found out my untreated number was a 42.

You should try nasal pillows if you haven't yet. They are SO much better than masks, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm experimenting...... I'm a mouth breather. I have a set of nasal pillows which I like better, so I may try them in conjunction with a chin strap. I've even heard of people that tape their mouth shut.

BTW.. your Escape model doesn't have a data card I think. Too bad, that Sleepyhead software is pretty cool. I may post a picture of the info it provides.

OK, still testing things out. Without Sleepyhead I'd be flying blind. Basically I've discovered that as long as I'm not leaking I am getting almost no apneas. Here's a sleepy head screen with all the data turned off except apneas and leaks.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8e...DVVemIxUnJqT1k

I am getting crazy dry mouth even with humidifier on, so I'm testing ways to stop the mouth breathing so I can do to a nasal pillow mask. Tonight's test is a mouth guard with "plug" in it so you can't breathe though the mouth.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...+guard&Ntk=All

If that fails, I'm on to a chinstrap solution.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    OK, still testing things out. Without Sleepyhead I'd be flying blind. Basically I've discovered that as long as I'm not leaking I am getting almost no apneas. Here's a sleepy head screen with all the data turned off except apneas and leaks.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8e...DVVemIxUnJqT1k

I am getting crazy dry mouth even with humidifier on, so I'm testing ways to stop the mouth breathing so I can do to a nasal pillow mask. Tonight's test is a mouth guard with "plug" in it so you can't breathe though the mouth.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...+guard&Ntk=All

If that fails, I'm on to a chinstrap solution.
    I know my machine has a data card, but I don't think it's one that interfaces with a PC without a card reader I'd have to buy. I'd love to check it out though. I've had my CPAP for 3 years now and may be due for an upgrade soon.

Dry mouth stinks. I'm lucky in that I've never been a mouth breather. I went through a year or two where I couldn't breathe through my nose due to a deviated septum, but I got surgery to fix that and was better for a time. Now, the CPAP mask (nasal pillows) is what keeps me from breathing through my mask as that same nasl passage has narrowed again.

Have you considered a full mask that also covers your mouth? That works for a lot of people who have difficulty with mouth breathing. I have one for when I have head congestion and can't breathe well through my nose even with the nasal pillows.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I have a full face mask now. Trying to move away from it.

Anyone have experience with an ionizer? I dismissed them years ago because of many overreaching claims. But I've read some stuff recently that there's something to it.

And I know I sleep better when it's raining and falling water equals beaucoup ions.

So I've been on my new machine about a month. It's been a month of experimenting with different combos of masks and chinstraps etc.

I don't really know if I'm a mouth breather or not. But especially if you are not....... you should check out the cloth masks from Circadiance. I have the latest version of the Advance (for 3 whole days now). I've never felt a more comfortable mask. Ever

http://www.circadiance.com/

After a month of the new machine and averaging about a 10 on the AHI score, and always getting a cluster of events about 5 AM, my doc switched me to a new machine (not the top machine yet), and my scores in 3 days?.....

I had 7 hours 16 minutes with no events. I'm hoping that's the new normal and not just some quirk.

Bumping this for an update. The new machine my doc prescribed me in Sep took my scores from an average of 10 to an average of 6. We then did another titration study to see if an ASV machine (the best and most expensive) would do better.

Got my ASV the night before Thanksgiving and have never had a night over 0.8. And I am on nasal pillows now (Swift LT) and they are the greatest.

My daytime fatigue has not gone away yet. I am tackling that with weight loss and vitamins starting Jan 1. Low vitamin D3 can cause fatigue. Optimum levels are between 60-80 and mine were 15 last we checked.

Bump to see how your doing jax......also Do you still use that mask you linked? Or are you solely using the nasal pillows? What are the pros and cons to that mask you linked? I have been thinking of ordering it and giving it a try.

Thanks for asking lid. I am not using the mask I linked to, which is a cloth version of a full face mask.

I have 2 nasal pillow masks the Swift LT which I use 95% of the time, and a nasal pillow mask that snaps onto your upper teeth and uses no straps. It's not as comfortable so I hardly use it.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/tap-...-improved.html

My SwiftLT is ultracomfortable. I suggest anyone that uses a full face mask to at least try the nasal pillows.

I still get a little dry mouth and the fatigue has not gone away. But my scores are awesome (checking with SleepyHead). My average for the last month when I last checked was 0.17

The key to the low numbers for me was the ASV machine.

My vitamin D3 levels are getting way better up from 15 to 50 (I believe) but I have not lost any weight. I have a 6 month follow up with Sleep Doc next week. Might see if he has fatigue suggestions.

But you got me thinking about being diligent on my Vitamin B dosages... so I will !!
    Last edited by JaxRed; 07-03-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Last night I ordered the mask you linked earlier...the cloth like nasal mask....I got it in today at the sleep med office and just got home....tried it on and I cannot get over how comfortable it is...it's like not wearing a mask at all compared to my nasal pillows....thank you jax for linking that.....the true test will be the rest of the week and see how well I sleep. I will keep ya posted......I am not sure I could get used to having a mouth piece in, how's thst feel as far as comfort?
    I have an appointment with my family doc next week and I am going to bring up doing some blood work to look at those vitamin levels....I too have some fatigue that is associated with sleep apnea, using this equipment is still all somewhat new to me so I am still feeling my way around it all. Good info in this thread.

Are the sleep studies difficult to sleep through? I have thought about getting one done (doctor suggested one), but I have a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, so I have resisted thinking that I would not sleep much at all during the study.

Turn Off Ads?