Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Any CPAP Users Out There?

Re: Any CPAP Users Out There?

Quote Originally Posted by willie3 View Post
    Are the sleep studies difficult to sleep through? I have thought about getting one done (doctor suggested one), but I have a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, so I have resisted thinking that I would not sleep much at all during the study.
    They aren't easy.

Basically you will have 20 wires or so attached from head to toe while you sleep. The nurses will wake you whenever one comes loose which happens to me 3-4 times whenever a sleep study is done.

Don't let this keep you from having a study done though. They can save your life and improve life quality immensely.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    Last night I ordered the mask you linked earlier...the cloth like nasal mask....I got it in today at the sleep med office and just got home....tried it on and I cannot get over how comfortable it is...it's like not wearing a mask at all compared to my nasal pillows....thank you jax for linking that.....the true test will be the rest of the week and see how well I sleep. I will keep ya posted......I am not sure I could get used to having a mouth piece in, how's thst feel as far as comfort?
    I have an appointment with my family doc next week and I am going to bring up doing some blood work to look at those vitamin levels....I too have some fatigue that is associated with sleep apnea, using this equipment is still all somewhat new to me so I am still feeling my way around it all. Good info in this thread.

See, although I like both I prefer the nasal pillows. What machine do you have lid?

I have used the Swift LT pillows for the last 3 years and is the best mask I've had. I can't even tell they're there.

However, I have just stopped using the cpap over the last week and haven't noticed any difference. I'm not snoring at all, which is great. I've lost a lot of weight and that's made a big difference. After a few weeks of not using it, I'm going to go back and use it again for a week or two to see if I notice a difference.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

5. Likes:

TeamCasey (07-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by willie3 View Post
    Are the sleep studies difficult to sleep through? I have thought about getting one done (doctor suggested one), but I have a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, so I have resisted thinking that I would not sleep much at all during the study.
    I've had two. The first time (diagnosis) I had a hard time falling asleep simply because I was out of my own routine.

The second time (titration) I slept well even with the uncomfortable mask they used for the study.

The hardest part for me is that you have to sleep on your back. I normally sleep curled up in a ball.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I have used the Swift LT pillows for the last 3 years and is the best mask I've had. I can't even tell they're there.

However, I have just stopped using the cpap over the last week and haven't noticed any difference. I'm not snoring at all, which is great. I've lost a lot of weight and that's made a big difference. After a few weeks of not using it, I'm going to go back and use it again for a week or two to see if I notice a difference.
    Let me know. I'm curious!

I never noticed more energy when I started therapy.

I took a trip without my equipment and I felt punch drunk the whole time.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Thought I'd bump this again to see where everyone is. I'm still on nasal pillows. I now use the Swift FX but am considering using the Airfit P10 as a test. Still always very tired during day. I recently started taping my mouth shut which sounds barbaric, but is actually pretty nice. I use 3M Micropore tape.

But I use my machine every night. It feels weird to sleep without it. If I was a Full Face Mask person I would be non-compliant.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I did check into some options today actually. Does seem like there are a lot better choices now than the past. I was going to do a 2 week trial on the P10 that you mentioned. My rep had some other good choices: pillario mask by fischer and a nuance pro by phillips also seemed good. I liked the air flow better on p10 and older fx. I noticed even the Res Med full masks on display looked much more comfortable than the choices five years ago.

By the way if you based in Florida, some of that morning fatigue may be from allergies. I've had more energy since picking up a machine, but I still do get this allergy fatigue between 7-2pm during parts of the year. My energy level actually picks up later in day as the pollen goes down. I was just going to mention this just in case, since taping your mouth shut is pretty is pretty hard core.

A major bump.... I've been on CPAP totally compliant for 6.5 years. My scores were always less than 1.0 once I switched to the fancy (expensive) ASV machines which are supposed to cure central apneas. On a whim about a month ago, I checked my machine to see what my score was and there was a message that the life of the motor has been exceeded. (It still worked).

So... I started the process to get a new one. I'm on medicare now. Wasn't before, so in their eyes I had to start from scratch. New sleep test and everything. So I decided to swap sleep docs and will see which one I like best. New guy said I might be able to get off the ASV since I was used to CPAP now. Did the sleep study, they let me use my own nasal pillow mask, and they said "CPAP was a no go", but BipAP was a go at 18/14.

So as of today I have my new Resmed Aircurve V10. It'll give you scores on your phone and computer but to get detailed reports you still have to use Sleepyhead. I did a test nap and blew a 8.4 and Sleepy head said they were centrals..... interesting.

So heading off to bed real soon here for first real night.

Who's your sleep doc?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Who's your sleep doc?
    I was using Thielmann from FCCI. This time around I went with Jacksonville Sleep Center (associated with Baptist) and Dr Nassar. So far I like him better. THey have their own DME which streamlines things a bit.

Who are you with?

Nassar is who I go to.

My follow up is with the PA.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    My follow up is with the PA.
    My last follow up was with her as well. First 2 times I went, I saw Nassar. But I haven't needed another study since my original one in 2009. He switched me to a new machine a couple of years ago.

Hmmmm... will post follow up tomorrow, but had my one month follow up today. Was supposed to be with PA but they switched me to Nassar. I've averaged about 4.7 AHI in the month. 9 something last night. I've been getting a lot of leaks and a lot of dry mouth. He said my pressure settings were fairly high. (14/18). Not shockingly high but "high up on the bell curve".

So, we switched me to a variable setting that let's the machine do just enough to keep you breathing correctly. My old machine would not do that. I just took 90 minute nap and my leak score was 20/20 (perfect), and my AHI was 0.5. I even tried a new FFM I got today (Redsmed F30) and no leaks with it. I'll post results in AM, but I am very encouraged right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Hmmmm... will post follow up tomorrow, but had my one month follow up today. Was supposed to be with PA but they switched me to Nassar. I've averaged about 4.7 AHI in the month. 9 something last night. I've been getting a lot of leaks and a lot of dry mouth. He said my pressure settings were fairly high. (14/18). Not shockingly high but "high up on the bell curve".

So, we switched me to a variable setting that let's the machine do just enough to keep you breathing correctly. My old machine would not do that. I just took 90 minute nap and my leak score was 20/20 (perfect), and my AHI was 0.5. I even tried a new FFM I got today (Redsmed F30) and no leaks with it. I'll post results in AM, but I am very encouraged right now.
    I use these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for dry mouth. I pick them up at my local pharmacy for cheaper. Dentist says its better for your teeth and gums than having a constant dry mouth. I couldn't hardly deal with the dry mouth until I found these.

18. Likes:

JaxRed (04-11-2019)

Turn Off Ads?